Fur Overkill F/W 09.10

EMPO_AW09_0416.jpg
EMPO_AW09_0420.jpg

Some tasteful fur at Emporio Armani - one or two pieces apparently done using the same technique as the neon furs at Thakoon.
This is the kind of fur that could be a winter wardrobe staple and that won't get you red painted or tofu pied in the street, cough, Dennis Basso.

catwalking

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't express how in love with this collection I am:

Gianfranco Ferre

ferre21.jpg
ferre22.jpg

catwalking

Let them eat mink ...

I truly find this surprising given the state of the economy and the pervasive buzz about not being a conspicuous consumer. I guess this is going to sell to the crass people who just don't care ... oh, wait ... :ninja: :innocent:

I was a little shocked as well.
I have a friend who works at Saks Fifth Ave. here in Boston and she says they are having a very hard time moving furs. ( and other very high ticket items of course)
They are even putting the furs on sale which was unheard of before.

The fur skirt is beyond silly.

Fur is like denim- overkill, and and its a fashion fail. Fur should be minimal and just be in moderation. It can be too outlandish to have huge amounts of fur. A lot of these images are just overkill, sometimes tasteless overkill. Only acceptable fur would be the second Dennis Basso fur coat (Post #1).

agreed 100000%

Whoever said that fur was just a lazy way to make a winter collection I completely agree.

I don't mind fur, I just don't like the way the animals are being treated. I mean humans have always used animal fur, but mostly from animals that are eaten..it's waist to throw away the fur, but trowing away the animal without the fur is not right IMO.

That's interesting, brokenenglish ... makes me wonder if the fur industry has thrown free fur samples at all these designers. You guys know about the fur workshops designers get invited to, right? I just wonder if they haven't stepped it up beyond that ... because it so doesn't make sense in this environment. It seems very out of step to me, and of course channeling the zeitgeist is what design is all about ... :unsure:

To continue the discussion earlier in the thread I think that a fur on a male can look extremely sexy but it must be done correctly. Obviously a full length mink, etc would look silly but a lil bit of fur trim is fabulous as is a shorter hair fur such as sheared mink, sheared beaver, etc. I adore the collections that have been posted so far and in particular the Burberry p ones ...... thanks and please post more as you find the pics :wink:

I think a reason as to why fur is so popular thesedays is a move away from disposable clothing (a decent fur will outlive you), a desire for luxury and simply prices have never been so cheap. Prices are rock bootom thesedays - go into any salon and you will find out!

That's interesting, brokenenglish ... makes me wonder if the fur industry has thrown free fur samples at all these designers. You guys know about the fur workshops designers get invited to, right?

Yes, smart targeting by the fur industry, giving designers monetary assistance, samples and access to contacts. They've been doing that for a while now, focusing on young designers, giving them 'support' in exchange for promotion of fur, but you'd wonder if the fur industry has recently managed to be rather persuasive with some bigger names too...

As an aside, regardless of the designer, I think astrakhan is a revolting-looking fur in terms of aesthetics, it's all wormy and ridged like trampled mud. And that's before I factor in how it's obtained.

i'm so curious now :ninja:
can someone tell me how it's made..

i've been reading and they kill the mother while she is pregnant? because the lamb inside will have this kind of hair. also, they write newborns can also have it. seems that it is a dark fur

I think there are different grades of astrakhan which are obtained at different 'times' in the lamb's life, with the finer fur coming from the unborn lambs. I remember Madonna wearing an astrakhan coat a few years ago, which sparked a debate about the process.

I am absolutely loving the fur this season. Though I have to say, I'm not so sure about the coloured fur. Other than that, I'm obsessed!!!!

More fur skirts?.....:shock:
I would imagine you would literally sweat your a## off.
:innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->