Model Casting F/W 10.11

lmao at "swimsuit models"

you are aware that most, if not all of these women that you call swimsuit models started out in HF and actually used to walk for these same designers...right?

and I totally agree retailqueen, I am soooo over the girls who look like children trend. New faces that are interesting are one thing, but having 30 blank faces wearing these type of clothes looks like they got lost in their mom's closet playing dressup. no thanks :P

I'm pretty sure Omnis is aware of that but he just mentioned them as swimsuit models because it has their main focus inside of fashion the past seasons at least.

And I still agree with Omnis that many interesting faces were overlooked because of the return of various models. Yet at the same time, I do have to agree that the casting at Giles, Prada and Louis Vuitton for example was perfect for the designs. That and to be honest, before Balenciaga last season I could have never envisioned Miranda Kerr in a high fashion runway. She has always been one of my personal highlights and this season is no different. I loved seeing her casted in Prada.

we all know the current divide in the community between HF vs commercial models.

I don't believe it was as innocent as merely pointing out that these girls are mostly known for their more commercial work as swimsuit models.

i'm all for veterans stepping in for all the fillers. its far more exciting and it can teach the newcomers a thing or two. i hope next season is the same...

Let me just say that I really didn't like the casting this season. There were way too many swimsuit models for my taste .. and at the expense of the interesting faces.

ITA. It just feels so fake like "look at us we use curvy models!" But when I see girls like Adriana, Miranda and Laetita I immediately think cheap and the collection just goes downhill. I wasn't sold on Miranda last season at Balenciaga and I'm not sold on her this season anywhere else. Ana Beatriz Barrios was probably the only one I liked. Rosie didn't look so bad on the runway either.

lmao at "swimsuit models"

you are aware that most, if not all of these women that you call swimsuit models started out in HF and actually used to walk for these same designers...right?

and I totally agree retailqueen, I am soooo over the girls who look like children trend. New faces that are interesting are one thing, but having 30 blank faces wearing these type of clothes looks like they got lost in their mom's closet playing dressup. no thanks :P

Yes, I am aware of the fact that a lot of the current swimsuit models started out in "high fashion", but their time in that part of the business has passed in my opinion. I was referring to them as "swimsuit models" because that is what their main focus is (as ax80 said on my behalf). One here and there is tolerable (for me), but not an invasion like this season.

And let me just clarify that I am not talking about body types at all, but faces. To me the unique facial features of some girls make the clothes stand out much more. I don't like 10 identical looking girls any more than you. But I prefer Kirsi Pyrhonen or Kinga Rajzak over Doutzen Kroes or Behati Prinsloo any day. But that's just my taste! I can understand that others don't agree.

I loved the casting, it was awesome! It was like supermodels taking over these other seasonal girls. I hope other casting directors could follow up on the "curvy" trend next season. To be honest, collections got more press this season because of the selection of models (VS, Supermodels in general - curvy models). They were on the NEWS, and it's a perfect way of showcasing a collection.

I agree wholeheartedly, the casting this season was amazing.

I know I'm a little late but I just saw LV and loved the casting!^_^
I was upset by the same old sameness in NY, I was intrigued but skeptical by the goings on in Milan but I'm feeling very buoyed by the LV show. Great to see Fashion Week finish on a very positive note. :woot::clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of all the "commercial" girls, I thought Bar Rafaeli was the only one who looked like she didn't belong there at LV. I ddn't notice anything different between the likes of Adriana Lima or Alessandra Ambrosio vs. Lara Stone or Natasha Poly.

Re the exclusives: I agree that it is unprofessional for a designer to cancel models at the last minute and I am also glad that someone spoke out about it to a major media outlet, BUT at the same time, it was probably not prudent for an agent to agree to an exclusive agreement for the regular fee, especially since it is not unheard of for models to get cut. And if I were an agent I would think long and hard before committing a model to Givenchy or Louis Vuitton for RTW because their shows are so late in the season that assuming that the agreement allows the model to walk after the show, are there enough shows remaining that will allow the model to capitalize on the prestige of the exclusive?

Now I can see the benefit of haute couture exclusives because at most you are sitting out on ten shows and RTW is right around the corner. I can also see exclusives that come early in the season like Calvin Klein, but an exclusive for a Paris designer that is scheduled for the second half of PFW, I don't get it.

ETA:
Perhaps Miu Miu if the agent thought that his/her model had a decent shot at the campaign or a case like Joan Smalls who had already been capitalizing on being an HC exclusive at the New York, Milan and London RTW shows.

I think this season brought us the beginnings of the next big "movement," and I think that's going to be Dutch. I don't know how I feel about it though, haha.

I loved this season's casting, like a majority of the posters in this thread. It was great seeing some of the old models, who have recently turned to commercial opportunities, come back to HF and look absolutely stunning doing it. It was a great reminder seeing how great clothes can look on a womanly frame as opposed to the 15/16 year old frames that have been dominant on the runway for quite a few seasons now.

But there were a few new faces that really stood out for me, who really embraced this new womanly trend, for the most part. I loved seeing Joan Smalls and Lais Ribeiro do so well and look so stunning while bringing some much needed diversity to the runways. Ming Xi and Marike Le Roux were two other personal favorites of mine, along with the Prada opener/closer Samantha Gradoville. All in all, it was a great season for model casting, light years better than last season, which almost made me give up all hope lol.

Out of all the "commercial" girls, I thought Bar Rafaeli was the only one who looked like she didn't belong there at LV. I ddn't notice anything different between the likes of Adriana Lima or Alessandra Ambrosio vs. Lara Stone or Natasha Poly.

Exactly... they're all supposedly commercial just because they walk at VS now, but all of them started their careers in HF. It's just what's happening now to Chanel, Rosie HW, Aminata and the other new VS girls...

^ yup, and then a crop of younger fashionistas will decry those models as being merely VS models, and the cycle begins again. I feel old.

Cameron Russell was at Louis Vuitton too! YAY for her!
00360m.jpg

00230m.jpg

style.com

Top 10 Newcomer FW 10: Julia Nobis (Elite)

20actau.jpg

The elegance Ms Nobis brought to the runways via her Calvin Klein exclusive in New York, her turns for Prada and Dolce and her presence at Dries van Noten, Rick Owens, Celine, Valentino, Vuitton and Miu Miu immediately marks her off a key editorial proposition. Attention now turns from the runways to the magazines and camapaigns and Julia’s unique almost painterly beauty is sure to deliver a distinctive image. As the 2nd Elite girl this season to land Top 10 Newcomer, indications are clear that Ms Nobis is in the right place at the right time. Stay tuned.

Models

Gwen Loos was the exclusive star of the season imo and Monika Jagaciak, with that amount of openings/closings in such a short time, takes the prize for model of the season for me.

:stuart::heart:

can someone explain the casting @ aquascutum?
there were a few girls that ONLY walked for that show in london..

Karlie Kloss
Chanel Iman
Jourdan dunn
...and more?
and it's not like they weren't able to book other shows(referring to chanel & karlie) it just seemed so weird because normally these three do well in london, epecially Jourdan who happens to be from london and also happens to be a regular for some designers in london.

^Special request/designer or stylist favorites. It's possible Chanel and Karlie weren't even planning on stopping by London until the requests (Also possibly received a good money rate for doing the job).

Aquascutum is a notable London brand so they have the ability to do it :smile: And Jourdan (As she is also a British model) walking the show probably gave them even more domestic press.

Also isn't Aquascutum one of those brands that until recently debuted their collections outside of London? So they are probably used to having a broader pool of top models to choose from for their shows than were in London, although it should be noted that several top models walked in London this season.

i hope the curvy model trend is back i loved seeing gorgeous
women who have an everlasting presence

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->