Model Casting F/W 10.11

French fashion house Givenchy is in hot water with top modeling agencies after booking girls for "exclusives" for its Paris fashion week show Sunday night -- only to cancel on five of the models less than 24 hours before. "They booked these girls and told them they weren't allowed to walk for other designers," says one agent. "They don't even offer an 'exclusive' fee -- just 1,500 euros and press." The night before the show, Givenchy abruptly canceled five girls, claiming in an e-mail to bookers that the label had "fit issues" with them. "It was total B.S.," says our source. "We had one girl who flew to Paris all the way from Argentina. It was too late for them to get new gigs, and they had to pay for their own hotels. I've never seen something so unprofessional and arrogant." A rep for Givenchy didn't respond to requests for comment.
nypost

I love tisic but this is bull ****.
Models are human beings, you just don't put someone's life on holde like that and cancel at the last minute.

This is a pity and it's right that ppl talk about that! Remember the casting of the Miu Miu campaing. 8 girls booked the job, 2 of them were cancelled and finally only pictures of 4 of the models were released in the magazines....

It's strange how this one situation is reported but many others that are similar aren't (Especially since exclusives - or "exclusives," rather - are more and more frequent now). But good thing, I guess: it's one thing to cancel a girl who is already in town, but to do the same to girls flying in internationally, specifically for one show is definitely unprofessional and unnecessary. And the Argentinian girl in question, I believe, is Virginia Guidetti...so I guess the "source" mentioned in the article is someone involved with her :innocent:

I can definitely trust the actual reasoning as being "fit issues," though. The designer/stylist's vision tends to take precedence in such times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to sum up my personal highlights of the season:

- Karolina back on runway :heart:
- Adriana`s quick comeback after pregnancy
- The supers back on runway, especially Laetitia Casta :blush:
- Other VS girls`quite suprising appearances
- Finnish girl had Prada exclusive :woot:
- So many runway favs from few years back like Coco, Angela and Marija
- Lily Cole on Hermes, like cherry on the top of the cake

Well, actually almost all Paris shows have produced pleasant suprises :D

^^yes exactly since this has happened with quite some 'exclusives' before I think the model agents always have to anticipate a possible cancellation, for whatever reason they might occur...and come to an agreement with the designers beforehand on who will pay the hotel, flights etc.

Let me just say that I really didn't like the casting this season. There were way too many swimsuit models for my taste .. and at the expense of the interesting faces.

Let me just say that I really didn't like the casting this season. There were way too many swimsuit models for my taste .. and at the expense of the interesting faces.

I couldn't agree more.

I do understand canceling of a look or a specific girl but I do agree that when a brand cancels an girl assigned to walk as an exclusive the night before, it does cross a line of professionalism. After all, no matter how profiled the designer is, this is a business. I find this a bit appalling.

Too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
*Intersting* faces with no presence, that cannot even walk and who resemble 12 year old boys?

no thanks. I am more than happy for the move away from blank/interesting newbies to ACTUAL well rounded models. Hope the trend is here to stay!

I loved the casting, it was awesome! It was like supermodels taking over these other seasonal girls. I hope other casting directors could follow up on the "curvy" trend next season. To be honest, collections got more press this season because of the selection of models (VS, Supermodels in general - curvy models). They were on the NEWS, and it's a perfect way of showcasing a collection.

It's not much of an "exclusive" anyway if they weren't paying the exclusive rate, just the normal rate. No wonder they now have so many.

I like to see big name models on the runway, but I would be disappointed if it wasn't at full price.

*Intersting* faces with no presence, that cannot even walk and who resemble 12 year old boys?

no thanks. I am more than happy for the move away from blank/interesting newbies to ACTUAL well rounded models. Hope the trend is here to stay!

AGREED!

I loved the return of the 'swimsuit model' partially due to the fact that it blanked out a huge swarm of uninteresting hangers and made the actual interesting new faces stand out more. I wonder what effect this casting season will have on S/S 11. Will agencies limit their new faces? Or limit the very young, very blank new faces? Will they push more shapy and mature girls? Will designers stick to this aesthetic? I seriously hope so. Not only because I enjoy seeing Karolina Kurkova on the runway, but also because I think it's exciting to see new girls with the physical qualities of Karolina Kurkova. They're pretty much always my favorite new girl :lol:

So agreed! There needs to be a balance. Of course we need a few new faces every year to keep things fresh, but I personally loved the casting this season. Enough seasoned models to keep my interest, and yet newbies to discover as well. :smile:

F/W 10.11 was by far my favorite casting of all-time. It couldn't have been better, IMO.

I loved all these surpise veteran models showing up and walking shows out of no-where, and the large quantity of models over size 2 that were casted.

LV had an amazing cast, it would have only been better if they swapped out some of the new girls and had Naomi and Kate in the show instead. Especially one of them instead of Elle to close.

lmao at "swimsuit models"

you are aware that most, if not all of these women that you call swimsuit models started out in HF and actually used to walk for these same designers...right?

and I totally agree retailqueen, I am soooo over the girls who look like children trend. New faces that are interesting are one thing, but having 30 blank faces wearing these type of clothes looks like they got lost in their mom's closet playing dressup. no thanks :P

So agreed! There needs to be a balance. Of course we need a few new faces every year to keep things fresh, but I personally loved the casting this season. Enough seasoned models to keep my interest, and yet newbies to discover as well. :smile:

This is the best to describe the way I feel. ^_^ Completely agree, my favorite models weren't doing much this season, so I barely followed everything but when I saw Alessandra's, KK's and Ana's names I wanted to see the collection.

Raquel at Chloe, Anna J at Givenchy and Trentini & Alessandra at LV were the highlights for me ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->