Gap Design Editions

i don't know how, but i managed to score the last rodarte bow dress in medium in all of new york! i bought it and am going to have it taken in this weekend. the seaming on the sides looks like it would be easy to tailor. i'm only 5'1" so it is currently swallowing me a little! i love it though. :D

Ok...for the UK-ers, I went to the Oxford Circus store and they had the following dress in today but only in L and XL...therefore I did not buy it because it was bloody massive:

GAP8.jpg

Gap has really suprised me! Normally I would not be so interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
GAP wisma atria in Singapore just got their drop yesterday.
they have everything from Doo.ri and Thakoon in all sizes and i'm sure there' quite a bit of it. cause no one is touching it and whe i got mine they even bring out a new piece from the back.
no Rodarte..

i got the Doo.ri pleated shirt and Thakoon tied shirt dress...!

the sizing are massiveeee... i'm usually an aus8, and the xs are a tad loose on me

^Ah, your comment really makes me miss Singapore..it's been sometime since I last stepped into Wisma!

Here's a photo of how I usually wear my Doo.ri scarf shirt, like a tie instead of just draping it around my neck.
I was feeling pretty creative, till I received my subscription copy of Vogue and realised that was how they styled this shirt on Agyness :blush:

Edited to add: I took this picture with a camera phone so excuse the poor quality!

Attachments

• gap.JPG
    gap.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 4
^ you making me want to get the scarf shirt!
i tried it on.. but its so sheer... did you layer it with a tank underneath?

^yup that's what I did. I wore a nude cami underneath.
I plan to do that with shirt-dress as well, but with a nude slip instead.

I just bought two of the Rodarte shirts... If you live in Toronto or the surrounding area, the Gap at Square One has a bunch of all of them. It was a trek to get there from the city but if you have a car it is no problem.

Yesss....this looks very good, and very promising.

I'm a long-time Gap fan for the basics; slacks and button-down shirts. I honestly can't say I've ever gone there for "fashion". Just the basics that every wardrobe needs. I'm so glad to see them pushing themselves more.

i read in the new issue of elle that there will be another set of white shirts designed by different designers in april!!

im disapointed that they are sticking with white shirts again!!

i'm not, but i hope they're better this time around. everything ran weird on me (as it always does at gap).

did it mention who the designers were (i'm guessing not or you would have said)?

it did not mention who the designers were. :cry:

news on the new designers...

Next month, Gap will be bringing back its Gap Design Editions limited edition program, having enlisted 3.1 Phillip Lim, Band of Outsiders, Michael Bastian, Philip Crangi and Threeasfour for the program's second round. This edition, Gap took more of a strategic approach. Where the 2007 initiative went to about 80 stores, there are elements this year that will go to all units in the U.S. For instance, Muto said the designs of Lim, who was a runner-up for the 2007 CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Award, will be more widely distributed. The shirts will be available at Gap Adult stores from April 15.

wwd.com

maybe someone with a wwd subscription can tell us more and post more pics.

Attachments

• gap1.jpg
    gap1.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 397
^ Thanks for the info, I missed out on these last year, can't wait to see this years shirts.

here's the full article from wwd...

Gap’s iconic white shirt is getting a new life this spring.

Next month, Gap will be bringing back its Gap Design Editions limited edition program, having enlisted 3.1 Phillip Lim, Band of Outsiders, Michael Bastian, Philip Crangi and Threeasfour for the program’s second round.

The initiative, part of Gap’s partnership with the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund, featured Rodarte, Thakoon and Doo.Ri last year. This time, it will also incorporate men’s wear and jewelry, and widen its distribution to include Gap adult stores in Canada, the U.K. and Japan.

“We were very pleased with the launch last year,” said Gary Muto, president of Gap Adult. “It is centered around encouraging new American design talent and bringing it to a broader audience. There are a lot of emerging designers and it’s become a crowded field, so we said, ‘How do we celebrate the creativity and use our size to announce the new talent?’”

Gap, which has been challenged by store traffic and merchandise problems, is hopeful the initiative will help drive traffic back into stores.

“We have taken a classic iconic Gap item,” Muto said. “It is redefining a classic and hopefully, it is appealing to our customers, and customers who may not have shopped at the Gap in the past, or haven’t shopped [there] in a while. It broadens the reach.”

This edition, Gap took more of a strategic approach. Where the 2007 initiative went to about 80 stores, there are elements this year that will go to all units in the U.S. For instance, Muto said the designs of Lim, who was a runner-up for the 2007 CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Award, will be more widely distributed. (CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund winner Rogan already had an agreement with Target, which prohibited the label from participating in this collaboration.)

Each designer worked with Patrick Robinson, executive vice president of design for Gap Adult and GapBody, to put together their pieces.

Lim created four pieces, including a tie-neck shirt, a bell-sleeve ruched shirt and a layered sleeve top, all at $78.

“My goal was to bring the complexity and playfulness of a woman’s essence without compromising the perfect simplicity of a classic white shirt,” Lim said.

Band of Outsiders designer Scott Sternberg created a patchwork tunic for $88. “I wanted to patchwork a bunch of traditional white-on-white men’s shirting fabrics together, like a madras patchwork, but all white, bringing a sense of imperfection and an artisanal quality to the shirt,” Sternberg said.

Threeasfour’s Gabi, Adi and Ange designed a camisole for $78 and a cutaway dress for $88. “We were looking to find a balance of the three major elements involved: white poplin, Gap and Threeasfour,” Gabi said.

Adi added, “We chose to do an easy summer dress and a little asymmetric top that translate our signature seaming and vision [for] a wider audience.”

Bastian, meanwhile, studied his own design vocabulary to come up with his designs for Gap, which include an epaulet and a Western shirt for men, both at $78. “There is a good skinny military shirt I have never weirdly done in white poplin, and I also always do a Western shirt, with that little Western detail on the shoulder and back with a pleated formal shirt fabric,” said Bastian, who also did a women’s style.

Crangi’s task was to create jewelry for the project, and he came up with such looks as a white or black wide resin cuff for $45. “My approach was to find out what is the most basic component of the Gap aesthetic and evolve the design from that,” Crangi said. “I worked with the idea of a primary palette and basic shapes.”

The shirts will be available at Gap Adult stores from April 15.

the band of outsiders patchwork tunic seems the most appealing to me...

i havent heard of Bastian (probably because i dont read so much about menswear) Is he that famous?

i wonder if the sizes will run as oddly as they did last year. last year the XS's were more like L's!

I think bastian was a buyer or something. but yeah he's been featured on men.style.com. i'm so upset lim isn't doing men's.

here is some info on the designers.

3.I phillip lim
Designer Phillip Lim studied finance at California State University of Long before an internship with Katayone Adeli led to a full time job as design assistant. From there he went on to co-found the label Development, where Lim was the head designer for four years. Lim debuted his eponymous collection, 3.I phillip lim, in the fall of 2005 to instant success, and was nominated as a finalist for the prestigious 2006 Fashion Fund Award. In 2006 Lim introduced both menswear and kid by phillip lim, the pint size version of his signature women’s collection, while summer brought the first free standing 3.I phillip lim store on Mercer Street in NYC. In 2007 Lim was honored with the CFDA Swarovski Award for emerging talent in womenswear, his recognition for being a finalist for the Fashion Design Award of Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum and a runner-up for the 2007 CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Award.

“I’ve always been a fan of the classics and I love everything iconic,” said Lim. “My motto is when in doubt just choose good style and Gap to me is synonymous with that. Gap represents American iconic dressing and just to have the chance to design three white shirts and having my take on it was so fun.”

Band of Outsiders
Band of Outsiders is a Los Angeles based brand founded by Scott Sternberg in January 2004. The core men's collection is designed as an ever-growing archive of re-interpreted American menswear classics: shirts, ties, jackets, knits, and hand-tailored suits and outerwear. The Band of Outsiders brand is approached as a vessel for an ever-growing archive of ideas and projects that draw from the same sense of nostalgia, balanced with a drive for innovation and quality. So far, these projects include a shoe collaboration with Sperry Top-Sider, a resurrection of the Scottish cashmere brand Glenmac, and a menswear-inspired women's collection, Boy by Band of Outsiders.

Scott was very excited about his most recent collaboration with Gap: “I think the Gap for me growing up was this sort of depot of great jeans, great sweaters; just the best basics that were out there so I was just trying to create something that felt very easy but fresh and modern.”

MICHAEL BASTIAN
Michael Bastian was born in Lyons, New York, a small Upstate town near Lake Ontario. After graduating from Babson College in Wellesley, Massachusetts, he moved to New York City, where his first job was as an Assistant Buyer at Abraham & Strauss. This was followed by positions within Sotheby's, Tiffany & Co., Polo Ralph Lauren, and most recently, Bergdorf Goodman, where he was the men's fashion director for five years. It was this experience that led Bastian to launch his own men's wear line, MICHAEL BASTIAN. Now in its fourth season, MICHAEL BASTIAN is carried in over 40 retail locations in America, Canada, Japan, England and the Middle East. Bastian was nominated for the CFDA Newcomer Menswear Designer of the Year in 2007, and is a finalist for this year's CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund award. He has recently been appointed Creative Director for Menswear at Bill Blass, to be launched with the Fall/Winter 2008 collection.

“I'm so proud to be able to do this with Gap -- to be the first Men's designer to do a shirt for men, as well as being able to design my first piece ever for women, is amazing!” said Michael Bastian.
credit: gap web.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->