Gilly Hicks Sydney : An Australian Themed Lingerie Brand from Abercrombie and Fitch

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
American clothing brand Abercrombie & Fitch (A&F) is set to launch what is being described as an “Australian-themed“ lingerie concept store, but not in Sydney.

The eponymously named Gilly Hicks Sydney, or Concept 5 as it is known internally, is set to open its first store on January 2008 in Natick, Massachusetts along with other stores in Connecticut and New York.

What the allusions of the new brand to Sydney are, we can only guess. Perhaps it's to do with sun, surf and a great outdoors lifestyle or perhaps even a long lost Sydney relative, though anyone with the name will be laying claim to this title.

What is known is that A&F has secured trademarks for the Gilly Hicks name and a set of beach-oriented symbols in the United States and the UK (it was registered in June) in recent months, documents shows. Insiders report that Gilly Hicks will include underwear, loungewear and a personal-care division.

According to the August Trademarks Journal, the UK trademarking was in four classes including footwear, headgear, intimate apparel and intimate apparel accessories, athletic wear and athletic wear accessories, swimwear and swim wear accessories, fashion accessories, bags, fragrances and jewellery

A&F has already filed for trademark protection for both the "Gilly Hicks" and "Gilly Hicks Sydney" names, along with symbols including conch shells, nautilus, scallops and sand dollars. The shell logo is believed to be part of the main brand identity.

commentary from http://diffusionblog.blogspot.com/
image via fashionista.com

http://www.gillyhicks.com/
has a racy video that is under-age-restricted.

this seems to be a way for abercrombie to compete with aerie. they are opening 5 stores this month.

* Natick Collection / Natick, Massachusetts
* Smith Haven Mall / Lake Grove, New York
* Fox Valley / Aurora, Illinois
* Mall of America / Bloomington, Minnesota
* Westfarms / Farmington, Connecticut

Attachments

• gilly.jpg
    gilly.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 6
I'm wasn't sure if we're allowed to upload nude pics on here but u can see more pics from the video at my blog FashionCopious.com

5.jpg

cool! im looking forward to it thanks for the news
and great pics :smile:

how utterly bizarre. Why is an american brand opening a lingerie store and pretending it has anything to do with Sydney or Australia let alone writing the name like the brand somehow originated from there. Go away!

fashioncopious, dont forget to put a source for your image.
i have the feeling that the pic that you posted might be the tamest one ive seen so far from the brand...

Abercrombie & Fitch (A&F) is set to launch what is being described as an “Australian-themed“ lingerie concept store, but not in Sydney.

This is just bizarre. :blink: First of all it's not an Aussie company. Second of all, what in the world is "Australian-themed"?! KANGAROO PRINT? KOALA BEARS? It still looks like the same-old Abercrombie to me.

one of the images trademarked for their logo had a koala in it...

i agree it is inexplicable...i think they also plan to put a "1932" or some other date in their logo/marketing as well.

pretending that the brand dates back from there....

So they finally found a replacement to their old catalogs...

It is weird actualy I guess they are looking for something new

let me make a prediction: the stores will be really dark and the music will be really loud.

I agree the whole "Australian" theme is really weird specially when they use those photos which are very reminiscent of their own Abercrombie a brand that's supposed to be so "american"

how utterly bizarre. Why is an american brand opening a lingerie store and pretending it has anything to do with Sydney or Australia let alone writing the name like the brand somehow originated from there. Go away!

I think that's really bizarre as well. Sydney isn't exactly teeming with koala bears and kangaroos though, so at least they're not being totally stereotypical. Sydney is beachy, city and surfy, etc - but I don't know, I'm just not feeling it.

I kind of like the idea, actually. Victoria Secret is too pricey for most people and this will be a great opportunity for Abercrombie and Fitch Co. I'm pretty sure the lingerie will not be that expensive since it's target is for teenagers. As for the marketing, I think they wanted to start it off with a BANG, and they definitely did that. Have you seen the video on the site yet? You have to be 18, but OMG, it's semi p*rn.

as far as underwear goes, victoria secret in my opinion is not too pricey for most people. It seems to me the next step down from VS is buying jockeys in 3 packs at target, and there is nothing wrong with that but I wouldn't ever imagine that they will aim this low end. Abercrombie is definately not Target for teenagers, it's overpriced for what it is but this stuff will definately come at a higher price point than VS I would bet or at least on par.

Most teenages only wear A&F, kids, and Hollister clothes especially guys. With Abercrombie opening this new concept, they won't be wearing Hanes and Fruit of the looms any more.

But from watching the film hosted on Gilly Hicks site, it seems to me that they won't be selling mens clothes. I think it will be only for women. After the stores open this month, we'll see how they will work out.

let me make a prediction: the stores will be really dark and the music will be really loud.

and don't forget that the entire store and area surrounding it will reek of whatever new fragrance they will come out with

Natick Collection
Natick, MA
Grand opening of Gilly Hicks
Gilly+Hicks+(1).jpg

Gilly+Hicks+(2).jpg

Gilly+Hicks.jpg

Gilly+Hicks+(3).jpg

topicstyle.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members