The Creepy Man behind Abercrombie and Fitch

I gonna admit, I like some of the clothes at A&F.....but I had a wake-up call when I went to get some of the ripped distressed jeans, and the largest size they make is like 3 sizes too small for me, lol. Their skirts fit me, but I cant wear their jeans.

I do like the image of "relaxed, not trying too hard but stylish"...lol, but you certainly dont need A&F for that. And their logo stuff is uber tacky. I'll stick to COH, R&R, and james perse tanks thank you very much. And I prefer Junk Food to those corny "surfer" tees they sell and AF and AE.

I think the last straw for me, was when I bought a top from AF, and there was a HUGE line wrapped around the store....and I was this upper-20-ish black woman in line with nothing but tweenish white kids (and their moms). It just felt weird. Like I was on another planet, and didnt belong there. It was the age gap that bothered me more than anything, but I couldn't help but notice the fact that there wasn't one person of ethnicity in that entire store, lolol.

Last edited by a moderator:
In light of the article, I think what's truly sad is the store comp increases they experience month after month.

CharlottefromCA said:
There's a creepy man behind american apparel??
Yes, I wont go into detail, but wonder why all the girls on the site is asian or half asian? :innocent:

Back to A&F. Crap theyre opening in Canada now, with Hollister....this is really dissapointing, it may only be in TO right now, but thats where they always stat everyting. Soon enough it will be over here too, and I know everyone at school will be wearing all of this crap. :cry:

Maybe Ill have enough time to prepare before it moves west :lol:

if i were his surgeon and he announced where he had his surgery id sue him coz thats the worst form of negative publicity any plastic surgeon could ever get!! Aside from that the concept of their stores seems right out of those psycho thrillers with evil clones of some evil dude!

CharlottefromCA said:
There's a creepy man behind american apparel??

Oooh, an American Apparel just opened here in michigan not too long ago. Ive been dying to get in that store! I love what the mannequins are wearing in the window. But Im saving now, no shopping. *sigh*

yourbestfriend said:
Yes, I wont go into detail, but wonder why all the girls on the site is asian or half asian? :innocent:
You said too much or not enough...
Could you please elaborate? :flower:

om, so i went to both the hollister and the a&f stores at a nearby shopping mall today...

needless to say, the uniform for their employees is :"must be a petite blonde for women, must be a tall blond hunk for men"...i'm not kidding...it wasn't untill after the visit that it hit me, this is real and not a joke..if these people will open a store in hong kong, they'll still sport caucasian employees...

the a&f store is very dark (which i like), has large photos of the "new face" man, and obnoxious prices..if there is anyone here who is ready to spend $128 on a denim jacket that looks like it's been washed up on the shore or $70 for a mini-skirt that comes in both a lovely chesecloth ot paper-thin jersey, then leave now, becasue i'll get violent:innocent:

it's older cousing hollister had the same features, but also had a sign stating that "clothing is optional beyong this point" in the fitting rooms, a male mannequin with jeans so low they (yes) exposed half his plastic goodies and a very un-mannequin short female counterpart, both with a lovely orgnge tan..thankgoodness it's pricepoint was slashed in half...but for they kind of clothing they sell i wouldn't pay a dime. this is real, people..how scary

ybf, the store in question is at sherway gardens...

A huge thank you to the starter of this thread. I have hated A&F ever since they were sued for discrimination and I saw the two plaintiffs on TV discussing the discriminatory hiring practices of the company. Now, after reading the article my hatred of this comapny and everything it stands for has been solidified. I need to go take a shower :sick: :yuk:

Remarkably little is known about Jeffries' personal life. There are few people who claim to know Jeffries well, and those who do wouldn't comment for this story. What is known is that Jeffries has a grown son, lives separately from his wife, and, according to Business Week, has a Herb Ritts photo of a toned male torso hanging over the fireplace in his bedroom

Oh, so he's gay then?

Ok, Ill give it to him, he's a business genius and is great at making people want his clothes. What he's doing is so simple, anyone will buy Abercrombie, cause it's cool, remember how you wanted to be a cool kid? Or at least like them? Well Abercrombie is selling that. It's kind of sad that it really preys on our desire to fit in, but Im proud that Im perfectly fine without fitting in, I can do without looking like everyone else.

They recruited me when I was shopping a few times and I've worked at two different ones twice, very briefly each time. I absolutely hated it. The employees would have barbeques and parties where they would basically just hook up with each other (encouraged by the managers, of course). But with the whole thing about discrimination...from my experience, they do discriminate based on attractiveness and looks, but not race. I worked at the largest volume A&F in LA and also briefly at the one in Santa Barbara and there was no shortage of Asian-Americans, Armenians, African-Americans, etc. But when I visited my boyfriend in Indiana it seemed that all the workers were white, and not very attractive at that (I remember thinking that was odd because that's their "thing," whether it's good or not).

BoscoBJGD said:
from my experience, they do discriminate based on attractiveness and looks, but not race. I worked at the largest volume A&F in LA and also briefly at the one in Santa Barbara and there was no shortage of Asian-Americans, Armenians, African-Americans, etc.

Yeah I noticed that too, maybe after the whole law suit affair they are much more open to diversity. I know two people actually who work in A&F back home in the bay area (CA) and they are both asian.. both attractive of course..

Sadly it seems that most retail stores only hire "attractive" people

(I say that in quotes because I personally do not find orange skin, blond hair, and the body of a 11 year old boy 'attractive')

By the way, I read this article when it was posted and I'm still haunted by it. It is very, very disturbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aza
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->