Gucci Horsebit Hobo

Queen_Nigeria said:
I just wanted to know if the lining is supposed to look like that. That would be a shame is it isn't. Because I know so many people walking around with the horsebit lining - I thought the authentic gucci bags had this horsebit lining as well.

Does anyone have pics of the interior lining of an authentic gucci horsebit hobo - not the plain black leather, but the guccissima print?

If it's on Ebay you can be sure it's fake...I have the plain leather one...call Gucci and ask them...:cry:

^I went to the gucci store last night to look for the answer to this question for you and then completely forgot to post it!! Yes, the guccissima version of the hobo does have the printed horsebit lining, like in the picture you showed. The regular leather ones have plain linings.

Hope that helps :flower:

Is it just me, or do any of you feel the leather on the large tan Gucci horsebit looks like a big sheet of vinyl, like a car seat? I believe Gucci changed the leather in 05 and earlier versions are different. Here's my story:

I ordered the black from BG last year on the recommendation of a friend who saw both the back and tan IRL. She noticed a real difference between the two leathers and advised the black was nicer, so I ordered it even though the tan color was my first choice. Last week, BG was nice enough to let me send the black back in exchange for the tan. I figured I would take my chances with the leather since the black was getting no use anyway. I thought - it's Gucci, how bad can it be? And lo and behold - my friiend was right about the difference! The black was indeed thicker and softer with some natural markings. When I pulled the tan out of the box I fell instantly in love with the color and in absolute disgust with the leather! It is completely flat and lifeless! I won't return it since the s/a was absolutely the sweetest most accommodating woman to exchange a bag for a customer a year after purchase. But honestly, I can't believe Gucci can slap a $1495 price tag on what I feel is completely substandard leather. I m afraid if I ever tried to ebay this bag it might be mistaken for a fake! Pics do it more justice than real life, but take a look:

Attachments

• GucciArm.jpg
    GucciArm.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 316
  • GucciHang.jpg
    GucciHang.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 318
  • GucciSit.jpg
    GucciSit.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 318
  • GucciShoulder.jpg
    GucciShoulder.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 316
Last edited by a moderator:
roey said:
Is it just me, or do any of you feel the leather on the large tan Gucci horsebit looks like a big sheet of vinyl, like a car seat? I believe Gucci changed the leather in 05 and earlier versions are different. Here's my story:

I ordered the black from BG last year on the recommendation of a friend who saw both the back and tan IRL. She noticed a real difference between the two leathers and advised the black was nicer, so I ordered it even though the tan color was my first choice. Last week, BG was nice enough to let me send the black back in exchange for the tan. I figured I would take my chances with the leather since the black was getting no use anyway. I thought - it's Gucci, how bad can it be? And lo and behold - my friiend was right about the difference! The black was indeed thicker and softer with some natural markings. When I pulled the tan out of the box I fell instantly in love with the color and in absolute disgust with the leather! It is completely flat and lifeless! I won't return it since the s/a was absolutely the sweetest most accommodating woman to exchange a bag for a customer a year after purchase. But honestly, I can't believe Gucci can slap a $1495 price tag on what I feel is completely substandard leather. I m afraid if I ever tried to ebay this bag it might be mistaken for a fake! Pics do it more justice than real life, but take a look:

I absolutely agree...I have both...the black in the lg. and tan in the med. I've been meaning to put my tan on ebay...but haven't for the reasons you mentioned:cry: ...I feel it's worth a try since yours is new. I carried mine for about a year:blink:
and bought the black from Gucci in NYC last year...I like the leather much better:D . I may put mine on ebay this weekend:unsure: .

oh roey, you have to send that bag back to bg. they must have changed the leather because i've seen the tan in the past and it did not look like pleather.

LilyGirl said:
oh roey, you have to send that bag back to bg. they must have changed the leather because i've seen the tan in the past and it did not look like pleather.

yeah, mine from last spring is definitely flat, smooth leather, but doesn't look nearly as plasticy as your pictures roey

E0442136154712_v1_m56577569831189433.jpg

saks

have any of you seen the new zebra horsebit hobo for summer 06? i'm usually not one for gucci, but i think this is gorgeous... so unique and quite me. i haven't seen this available anywhere else... only at saks... it's not even on gucci.com... anyone know if this bag is a saks exclusive?

LilyGirl said:

Yeah, they definitely changed the leather. :( I know you dont want to, but send the bag back. It looks so cheap.

I won't send it back due to the circumstances surrounding the bag. I really pushed it returning the black after almost a year and exchanging for the tan. The bag is paid for, and I do love the color. Why Gucci chose to use a flat, smooth leather with absolutely no grain is mind boggling for sure, although it sure smells like a good leather. In any event, I am having fun carrying it. I didn't think anyone in my area would give it a second look but I practically got accosted by a girl in TJ Maxx this weekend who screamed, "OMG - it's the Jessica Simpson bag!" and went on to gush that she didn't think it looked cheap or fake. (I'm sure she wasn't a bag person - she wasn't even carrying one!) Geez... my Paddingtons and Bal bag go unnoticed and all people did this weekend was gawk and exclaim. It is certainly durable - no worries about scratching this thing up, LOL, and it hangs a lot better on my shoulder than the black one did. While this bag might horrify people in large, posh cities, in my hick area, it's pretty hot stuff! :D

I was actually told by a friend of mine that the reason Gucci changed the leather was because the previous leather was very prone to scratching and they were getting a lot of returns. I never had an opportunity to see or feel the previous leather so can't vouch for that reasoning, but I think it would be obvious to any handbag lover - novice or expert - that this leather does not look like it belongs on a $1500 bag!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi girls- I was wondering if someone could help me out here- I have a Gucci leather bag from 2004 and have used it so much that the black canvas lining is completely worn. Does anyone know what Gucci's policy is on cleaning/replacing/repairing the lining of their bags?? Do they charge if the bag is from an older collection....? Can someone offer me their advice? Thanks so much!!

roey- WHAT did you say to the SA at BG to let them return the bag after a year- had you used the bag?? I've never met any polite SA at BG! Was it through the online store? Just curious- thanks!

You could give them a call to ask but my guess is that if they do repairs, you will be charged since you have used the bag so much. I would think they only way they would not charge is if the bag was still fairly new. In any event, it sounds worth fixing since you certainly enjoy using it :D. I'd like to see a picture of the older leather - have searched here and on the purse forum and no pics of the pre-2005 leather - the year it was changed.

Good luck!!

It is not a horse-bit bag. Just a square shaped shoulder bag with circular perferations and silver hardwear. The leather is beautiful and has held up very well. Let me know if you want to see it.

roey - people have the same reaction to my tan horsebit hobo, i've had some women almost literally squeal in delight at it!

sometimes they scare me! :woot: i feel like saying... okay... calm down... it's just a bag... albiet a very very gorgeous bag... but... a bag nonetheless ladies, lol!!!

a flight attendant looked like she was going to cry once! she told me... (looking at my bag wistfully the whole time!) how she was looking for it everywhere, but it was sold out and she just loves it so, so much!

my other bags sometimes get comments, but nothing like this!!!

Thanks for sharing that zvezdana! The bag has really grown on me over the last month. The leather is starting to break in, so that smooth, shiny look is being replaced by a soft grain and texture. It is getting a lot more use than the black ever did, so I'm glad I didn't send it back without giving it a chance.

People do scare me as well when they rush me to get a closer look! I'm not sure if they are going to steal it or compliment it!

This guccissima in black is one of my fav bags. Same as this one but it is the large size http://www.gucci.com/us/product-shots/us-english/us/fw05_gu_145826_A0V1G_1000.asp. It is huge like 15 by 15 and I love it! The carry it almost daily and the leather has gotten buttery soft and it molds to my body. The chocolate one still needs to be broken in. I haven't carried it as much yet and I had to get the matching boots when I saw them on sale in hard to find size 42. I've never seen this one talked about much on the board but I think it has only gotten better with time.

Attachments

• dscn2143.JPG
    dscn2143.JPG
    371.4 KB · Views: 10
  • dscn2144.jpg
    dscn2144.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 13
^^That bag is gorgeous!! (esp. in brown) I love that style in guccissima. I was considering getting the same style, but in blue gg fabric w/ white leather trim for the summer. The boots are real nice, they look even better when broken in--they look stiff when they're new, thats why I never got them. I dont blame you one bit for snatching them up on-sale, I wouldve done the same thing....THEN went huntin for the matching bag. I usually fall in love with the shoes, and then the bag follows. haha

I didnt order the blue gg bag, instead I ordered one of the dissappearing flora bags. Im allowed to make one bag purchase per season, and thats gonna be my summer bag.

DP_woman said:
^^That bag is gorgeous!! (esp. in brown) I love that style in guccissima. I was considering getting the same style, but in blue gg fabric w/ white leather trim for the summer. The boots are real nice, they look even better when broken in--they look stiff when they're new, thats why I never got them. I dont blame you one bit for snatching them up on-sale, I wouldve done the same thing....THEN went huntin for the matching bag. I usually fall in love with the shoes, and then the bag follows. haha

I didnt order the blue gg bag, instead I ordered one of the dissappearing flora bags. Im allowed to make one bag purchase per season, and thats gonna be my summer bag.

I agree...it is so much better after broken in...probably why i havent used the brown items much yet...but they wont get broken in if I dont use them! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->