Gucci Resort 2006

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
from wwd...

In Act Two of the post-Tom Ford era, it seems the Gucci Girl is turning down her dosage of high-voltage sexuality, and perhaps not taking herself quite so seriously.

"To be sure, she's a confident woman who works hard for her success, but at the same time, she cares for her dogs in the park," explained designer Frida Giannini, upgraded in March from accessories director to creative director of accessories and women's ready-to-wear after the abrupt departure of Alessandra Facchinetti. Giannini is here this week to present Gucci's cruise collection, her first ready-to-wear for the house. She will show the collection of about 28 looks this afternoon at the Gagosian Gallery.

After Giannini's promotion, a shift in sensibility seemed inevitable. After all, her very well-received Flora accessories collection, based on a scarf designed for Grace Kelly in 1966, was a softer, more feminine take on the house's iconography than those designed by Ford. In fact, her tactic of delving into the archives for elements to manipulate forms a large part of the cruise collection, which is rife with takes on iconic motifs. The horsebit shows up in prints large and small on both clothes — a charming silk blouse, a breezy gown — and handbags. The classic men's loafer gets a chunky high-heel and goes glam in gold crocodile or sporty in white leather. And bicolor webbed ribbon is everywhere: the waistband of a quirky Flora-derived insect-print swimsuit, or woven with chains for trim on coats and jeans.

"When I started to work on this collection, I thought immediately of a real cruise," said Giannini, 32. "I imagined a summer trip on a boat in the Mediterranean."

Her line covers a range of yacht-worthy looks, from a navy satin peacoat worn with sharply pressed white silk capri pants to bohemian dresses in mixes of prints, lace and macrame inspired by those her grandmother once stocked at her now-closed store near Rome, which are perfect for eager vacationers en route to Positano. And while pieces such as a short halter dress done up in white iridescent sequins are undeniably sexy, there is also a new sense of calm, and at times even sweetness. "It's never so aggressive," said Giannini simply.

Still, she knows that while a strong resort collection makes for a powerful start, the more high-drama test will come when she stages her first major runway presentation, for spring. While Giannini expects overt iconography to play a major role, she's yet to determine the specifics.

"To be honest, I am still working on that idea, so I don't know exactly how," she said. "But to me, the iconic elements of the company are very, very important."

As for the presentation itself, while the look of Facchinetti's show mirrored Ford's high-drama approach, Giannini sees the need to put clear distance between her own approach and his. Though her debut will still take place at Milan's Hotel Diana Majestic, "I would like to change [the look]," she said. "Probably the light will be one of the most important elements — definitely less dramatic, less dark."

Ironically, however, though Giannini is stressing the lightness of her approach, she has already felt the dark side of the rumor mill. It came via an uncredited report published Friday that had the Gucci brass displeased with Giannini's performance and questioned her future at the house, this despite the fact that she had yet to show a single outfit and that Gucci president Mark Lee accompanied her to New York. Company executives seemed plenty irritated by the rumor, dismissed by Lee with a terse, "Absolutely not true."

Giannini herself seems to have taken it in stride. She comes across as calm and confident, focused not only on her new professional role but also on personal matters. She's to be married in July, and will return home this week to perfect her dress. And of course, she is working on more fully forming her version of the Gucci Girl.

"I would like to imagine a woman who can play with her life," said Giannini, "but always sophisticated and rich because obviously we are still Gucci."

061405_14p.jpg
061405_15p.jpg

061405_16p.jpg
061405_17p.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also can't see the pics....and I had no idea that Alessandra Facchinetti left!! I want to see this now!

i can't see the pics either....dying of anticipation

sorry gang...i fixed the pics :flower:

here are some more:

061405_45.jpg
061405_18p.jpg

What more could the GUCCI customer wish for ? :wink:

And I'm NOT being sarcastic . :rolleyes:

hmmmm...it's not bad...but....i was just expecting more...i really hope that she isn't gonna pull a stefano pilati and completely change gucci around.....

What the hell has happened? Those clothes do not have the usual sexiness and sensuality that Gucci normally does. I'm not feeling it at all, especially the zebra dress with the bag :yuk:

like the idea but i find she misses the mark. but she has time to develop. the white dress is nice.

The only thing I like here is the black bag in the second set of pics. The rest pretty much sucks.

looks like american sportswear...imo...
from the 80's...

thx for the pics kimair...:flower:

inspired to wear my gucci sandals today...
^_^

the only thing i like is the white dress, but that's probably because it reminds me of narciso rodriguez...

the rest reminds me of michael kors... :ninja:

omg...
i was going to say michael kors too....(american sportswear)
and a little ralph lauren...

the white cutout dress is the only thing that interests me as well...

:woot:

sorry...i don't wanna sound dumb. but can someone explain resort wear...is it just to have something to put in the stores between seasons while things are changing??? and does it reflect what the next collection is gonna be like....cause this seems very commercial...not ugly, but not interesting....so do designers save that stuff for ready to wear...so confused by it all.......

kimair said:
the only thing i like is the white dress, but that's probably because it reminds me of narciso rodriguez...

the rest reminds me of michael kors... :ninja:

My first thoughts...it looks to clean IMO

The first couple outfits are okay, the second being my favorite, but everything from there is completely :yuk: :sick: That zebra coat is one of the worst things I've seen in quite some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->