Gucci Resort 2006

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day that Gucci was so cheap looking....and I don't mean cheap as in tacky or gaudy, I mean cheap like, it looks like pieces you could get at the Gap.

I agree.

Spike413 said:
Wow, I never thought I'd see the day that Gucci was so cheap looking....and I don't mean cheap as in tacky or gaudy, I mean cheap like, it looks like pieces you could get at the Gap.
Couldn't have been put any better.

You have to admit that Frida can do some gorgeous bags, I love that white tote...Yum...

It's so not Gucci, but it's so resort. I too wouldn't see that it's Gucci, but I think I would still think the lady wearing it has style. It lacks (Tom's) Gucci's sexiness, but what did you expect? Another designer, another interpretation.

Wow, that is God awful. Not quintessential Gucci by any stretch of the imagination. *sigh* a pity really isn't it?

Orignially Posted by Mr-Dale
It lacks (Tom's) Gucci's sexiness, but what did you expect? Another designer, another interpretation.

But that is the part that dissapoints me the most. You would think that if a new designer is going to come into the brand, they would still have to carry out the responsibility of keeping that label's style...

But that is just what you would think.

more on the gucci resort collection from the nytimes:

row.184.jpg

THE fashion world, at least those willing to venture out in the heat, got its first look on Tuesday at Frida Giannini's new women's collection for Gucci. She was showing resort clothes, at the Gagosian Gallery on West 24th Street, which had been outfitted with a polished wood floor and white deck cushions to help transport editors and buyers to a yacht off the Amalfi coast. The breeze was supplied by the air-conditioning system.
Given the seven-year plan of Robert Polet, the chief executive of Gucci Group, to more than double the brand's revenues to $4 billion, much is expected of Ms. Giannini, a 32-year-old Roman with a confident, if not tough, demeanor. A year ago, when Tom Ford and Domenico De Sole left Gucci, the job of women's design went to Alessandra Facchinetti, while Ms. Giannini was put in charge of handbags and shoes, and John Ray continued as men's designer. In March, Ms. Giannini replaced Ms. Facchinetti, whose two collections seemed to pay homage to Mr. Ford's last years at Gucci.

With accessories and women's fashion now in Ms. Giannini's control and a staff of nearly 40 assistants to supervise, she is responsible for 95 percent of Gucci's revenues. Her handbags, especially the oversize snaffle-bit style, have been popular with consumers, but a challenge is how to restore growth to women's fashion, which Gucci executives and store chiefs say has slowed from the peak years of the late 1990's.

In 2000 Mr. Ford split his interest between Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent, and evening looks seemed to dominate at Gucci. It's easy to forget that in the mid-90's he created sexy day suits and embellished jeans, which later became bread and butter for companies like Roberto Cavalli and Dolce & Gabbana.

"Sometimes we went too fast, sometimes we invented a lot of things, and then we kind of left them for the competition because we had moved on to other things," said Mark Lee, the president of Gucci. "In ready-to-wear, you need a certain through line."

Ms. Giannini will present a complete spring collection in September, but Tuesday's show gave a clue that she favors day clothes with a tailored sportiness: crisp white miniskirts and gold-buttoned jackets, silk shirts in archive-inspired prints with jeans, and bikinis with an up-to-date play on Gucci motifs like the horse bit and striped canvas webbing. The number of casual separates was a plus. For evening she proposed caftanlike dresses in hippie-deluxe patterns, which she generally showed with flat sandals.

At first glance the clothes seemed to lack the sophistication of Stefano Pilati's Saint Laurent resort collection (also shown in New York this week), but given time to develop her ideas she will likely sharpen her eye. And Mr. Pilati is 10 years older, with that much more experience. Certainly Ms. Giannini is sure of herself.

"The most important thing I learned from Tom is to be very confident in my ideas," she said. "I remember the first time I was editing a collection with him. I was showing him the prototype for the horse-bit bag, and I was really scared, waiting outside the door. But he was totally happy with it." That fear seems to have dissolved.

still looks like michael kors to me...:ninja:

I can't believe they gave her so much credit in that article!

She does not deserve to be given all that praise- the resort collection is a bundle of junk!

kimair said:
more on the gucci resort collection from the nytimes:

row.184.jpg

still looks like michael kors to me...:ninja:
Only difference is, that's what we expect from Michael Kors.

At least Faccinetti kept the Gucci spirit in her collections, if not being quite as good as Ford at making a statement, and she had major design skills. But this is just plain crap. Like I said, someone could get these clothes from the Gap for a fraction of the price.

What is this J.Crew?:blink:

I kind of like the little white mini dress though:ninja:

i guess she had to remind people that it's gucci with the stripe webbings and logos, i'm sure it will sell well with certain peeps

deliciously gucci. must have. slightly referential. pilati-influenced. but wonderful...

I don't know very much about Gucci but I can see what you are saying about Michael Kors. Gucci is known for its provacative nature, so lets keep it at that.

IdiotGirl said:
I don't know very much about Gucci but I can see what you are saying about Michael Kors. Gucci is known for its provacative nature, so lets keep it at that.

I don't even think one has to know virtually anything about Gucci to see that this is definitely not it. Incredibly boring is all I have to add.

more pics (from firstview.com)

00001.L.JPG
00005.L.JPG

00009.L.JPG
00018.L.JPG

00026.L.JPG
00044.L.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
more pics...

00068.L.JPG

00086.L.JPG

00092.L.JPG

00095.L.JPG

00099.L.JPG

After seeing the whole collection, it isn't that bad IMO...It's just not at all what I was expecting...However, I fear the women who wears this...

00043.L.JPG

Also, the choice of models was interesting as well...very all over the place...I'm anxious to see the spring show in October...a new direction for Gucci indeed

I like how the clothes seem to be more accessible. They're appealing and attractive, they make the bags look good. It's solid footing in a different direction. I like how flippant it seems, how it kind of ignores all the hyper sexed bling of the Ford collections. It not only recognizes how over it is, it moves on. That black crazy dress is best in show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->