H&m Hits Back At Lagerfeld

liberty33r1b

Reaction score
29 NOVEMBER 2004

Karl Lagerfeld made no secret of his displeasure when H&M decided to produce his designs in larger sizes. But it seems the retail giant is equally unimpressed with the style guru’s remarks, because it has called on him to issue an apology.

The German fashionista seemed perturbed when his collaboration with H&M hit the shelves two weeks ago in sizes ranging up to 16. "What I designed was fashion for slender and slim people," he said. "That was the original idea."

But bosses at the Swedish company have hit back at the 66-year-old, saying that he has offended many of their customers. "I can see why the women of Britain feel upset about what Karl said and I think he should say sorry to them," said marketing director Jorgen Andersson. "Fashion should be fun for everyone, so I can understand why people got insulted. I don't understand why he said what he said because we've been very clear from the beginning it was to be a full-size range."

The former Chanel boss has also found himself on the receiving end of some stern criticism from Conservative MP Anne Widdecombe. "Lagerfeld's comments are absolutely barmy," declared the politician. "The fact is most women are size 14 or over, so why should they be denied the joy of his fashion?"

What do you think??
and other question: Did you buy something from his collection, if so, what?

where's the apology...? :huh: :unsure:

everyone already listed what they bought in the karl lagerfeld for h&m thread dear liberty... :flower:

you can find it easily by using our search feature... :wink:

:ninja: He's so proud of being newly-slimmed down that he wants to share that joy, apparently.

I think there should be sizes for everyone, but even the small sizes were bigger than normal.

Originally posted by purechris@Nov 29 2004, 01:36 PM
"The former Chanel boss"

Did I miss something?
[snapback]443171[/snapback]​
yeah... :shock: ...hey...what was that?...a typo?..i missed it completely...what's going on?... :unsure: :blink:

So Chanel got mad at Karl because his H&M collaboration brings out the snob in the Chanel customer, and Karl had to bash H&M to make the skinny Chanel customer feel unique & buy Chanel again? And now H&M has to correct Karl for the sake of being PC, but the mass consumer is so indiscriminative that H&M sales really aren't hurt much?

Is that the deal?

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Nov 29 2004, 01:36 PM
:ninja: He's so proud of being newly-slimmed down that he wants to share that joy, apparently.
[snapback]443172[/snapback]​
implement that joy, more like :innocent:

Originally posted by liberty33r1b@Nov 29 2004, 02:26 PM
"The fact is most women are size 14 or over, so why should they be denied the joy of his fashion?"
[snapback]443156[/snapback]​

I don't like that argument and people use it all the time. If most women were size 26 or over, would that make it healthy and normal? No.

That said, Karl is ridiculous and needs to understand that fashion isn't astrophysics or even contemporary art. It's meant for the masses and to expect a company like H&M--which is practically the definition of 'mass'--to put out clothing for only a small range of sizes is just stupid.

And he's so hypocritical. Wasn't he complaining that H&M didn't produce his line in enough quantity? So he wants it to be available to everyone but only in size 34 and 36? What a g*ddamn buffoon. Someone needs to remind this man that for the better part of the last 30 years he weighed almost as much as a small European electric car. Don't forget where you came from, Karl.

Originally posted by purechris@Nov 29 2004, 01:36 PM
"The former Chanel boss"

Did I miss something?
[snapback]443171[/snapback]​
I was thinking the same thing!!! Out of the whole article that one remark caught my attention most.... :shock: :shock:

Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 29 2004, 01:32 PM
where's the apology...? :huh: :unsure:

everyone already listed what they bought in the karl lagerfeld for h&m thread dear liberty... :flower:

you can find it easily by using our search feature... :wink:
[snapback]443167[/snapback]​

oh my god, i really missed that thread! i guess i was just more into actually buying and searching for pieces from the collection for myself than having time for anything else.....

Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Nov 29 2004, 01:44 PM
I don't like that argument and people use it all the time. If most women were size 26 or over, would that make it healthy and normal? No.

That said, Karl is ridiculous and needs to understand that fashion isn't astrophysics or even contemporary art. It's meant for the masses and to expect a company like H&M--which is practically the definition of 'mass'--to put out clothing for only a small range of sizes is just stupid.

And he's so hypocritical. Wasn't he complaining that H&M didn't produce his line in enough quantity? So he wants it to be available to everyone but only in size 34 and 36? What a g*ddamn buffoon. Someone needs to remind this man that for the better part of the last 30 years he weighed almost as much as a small European electric car. Don't forget where you came from, Karl.
[snapback]443188[/snapback]​

HAHA! Love that M-O-M!

The fact of the matter is,Karl just wants his low-carb cake and eat it too. He's such a queen these days and his attitude is becoming increasingly more disgusting every time he opens his mouth.

Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Nov 29 2004, 01:44 PM

[snapback]443188[/snapback]​

so true...and i don't even think that statistic is true for women worldwide. maybe in america where unhealthy obesity is the norm, but i can think of at least two to three billion people that don't fit that generalization.

This is just stupid. If he wants to design for skinny people, he has the right to design for skinny people. Period. End of story.

Originally posted by AlexN@Nov 29 2004, 06:13 PM
This is just stupid. If he wants to design for skinny people, he has the right to design for skinny people. Period. End of story.
[snapback]443468[/snapback]​

No. If he wants to design exclusively for skinny people, then he can start a line called "THIN by Lagerfeld" and sell it in an exclusive "THIN by Lagerfeld" boutique where armed guards only allow customers in if they weigh less than 120 pounds, male or female. But to expect a huge multi-national chain like H&M to produce his clothes only in small sizes is just ridiculous. I thought this kind of body fascism was kept behind closed doors in the fashion industry these days. Thanks to Herr Lagerfeld for making me feel embarrassed for being a part of this world.

m-o-m...you slay me...LOL... :lol:

you are ...of course..correct...
if karl accepted a job (and a hefty check, i'm sure) designing for a mass market chain store...he knew very well what he was getting into...he's not some young deisgner who's being taken advantage of by the big bad conglomerate...this is all just a bunch of posing and drama...

from the queen of drama herself... :rolleyes: ^_^

Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Nov 29 2004, 05:23 PM
No. If he wants to design exclusively for skinny people, then he can start a line called "THIN by Lagerfeld" and sell it in an exclusive "THIN by Lagerfeld" boutique where armed guards only allow customers in if they weigh less than 120 pounds, male or female. But to expect a huge multi-national chain like H&M to produce his clothes only in small sizes is just ridiculous. I thought this kind of body fascism was kept behind closed doors in the fashion industry these days. Thanks to Herr Lagerfeld for making me feel embarrassed for being a part of this world.
[snapback]443494[/snapback]​

don't give him any ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blissfullychelle
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->