Karl Does H&M

It has only occurred to me over my morning cup of coffee that this is no new departure for Karla . :o

In the glory days of the early 70s , when he was head to head with his arch-rival , Yves Saint Laurent , with his layered collections for CHLOE ( accompanied by those marvellous ankle - creased, thigh high boots , made for him by WALTER STEIGER ) , as well as his collectionws for FENDI , Karla did collections for a middle-market , department store sold , label called TIMWEAR ! B)

Why shouln' t the ordinary public have access to designs by famous and commercially proven designers like LAGERFELD ? :P

After all , when labels concentrate on exclusivity , merely for its own sake , you end up with a situation like that of CHRISTIAN DIOR , proven beyond ALL doubt by the St. Tropez thread I put on here , yesterday ! :cry:

BLECH !!! :yuk:

KIT :innocent:

Originally posted by kit@Jun 19th, 2004 - 4:50 am
After all , when labels concentrate on exclusivity , merely for its own sake , you end up with a situation like that of CHRISTIAN DIOR , proven beyond ALL doubt by the St. Tropez thread I put on here , yesterday ! :cry:
i don't necessarily agree with this comment - it's possible to maintain a concentrated/focused audience without being totally CHEESEBALL like dior... and it doesnt mean being snobbish or exclusive necessarily, it just means being loyal to loyal customers.

did that make sense? not sure. oh well.

Originally posted by kit@Jun 19th, 2004 - 3:50 am

In the glory days of the early 70s , when he was head to head with his arch-rival , Yves Saint Laurent , with his layered collections for CHLOE ( accompanied by those marvellous ankle - creased, thigh high boots , made for him by WALTER STEIGER )
walter steiger...that's a name...

i remember how big he was once upon a time...i actually have several pairs in my wardrobe,..some of my best shoes and boots...i choose him over blahnik and choo and gucci etc...

they are just a bit cooler and less 'precious'...

plus you don't see everyone else wearing the same thing...i even got the ex boyfriend a beautiful pair and convinced my best friend to get a HOT pair of boots... you should see his croc boots!!!

they should be giving me commission... :P

but i stray off topic... :innocent:

maybe he should be like marc jacobs and open his own chanel "gap" chain stores while he is at it.

huh? :unsure: I don't get what you mean.

Viktor and Rolf have designed for La Redoute, a catalog based in France, along with some other top designers. Why can't Karl design for H&M? And I agree with some of the other posters, I doubt the designs will be Chanel-like looks.

I'm not gonna judge anything until I see how it look, or if the deal will even fall through. But if Karl is going to start designing for H&M than why even keep all the Chanel boutique in buisness I mean let see: Two Tweed Jackets both designed my Karl Lagerfeld one for 50 bucks the other for 5,000 dollars hmmmm I wonder which jacket his fans will pick up. But seriously if he actually do this wont he just drag the Chanel family name in the dirt? I mean Chanel wont be associated with Paris high-end fashion anymore, Chanel will be than remember by the $50 tweed jacket at H&M. Ugh I can imagine all these damn 13 year old wearing H&M Chanel knockoff from Chanel :rolleyes:. I miss the old Karl, the big chubby one. Now that he is finally slim he think he is god gift to this Earth. I saw his T-Shirts (4 Slim People) and I thought how cute and great it was but on the other hand, one of my grandma friend who been wearing Chanel and buying everything he ever made was offended because shes a Chanel costumer who is on the large side.

Originally posted by kimair@Jun 19th, 2004 - 10:35 pm

Viktor and Rolf have designed for La Redoute, a catalog based in France, along with some other top designers.
i have this viktor and rolf sweater from la redoute...the quality is obviously not the same as their designer stuff...but it's adorable and it looks great on...

i :heart: it...
i'm all for designers doing affordable clothing... :flower:

and i think this blouse they did is quite nice... :flower:

I think some people have missed the point that a lot of the people who shop at h&m wouldn't even know who Karl is, I know that sounds really elitist but i don't mean it like that, but i mean not everyone is gonna know who he is.

I don't think it's such a bad thing anyway, and yeh even if chanel suit rip offs are released which i do doubt they will be no where near the quality of a real chanel suit, plus shops like h&m are already full of rip offs i'm sure it won't make any difference to chanel's sales.

just my 2 cents :innocent:

Originally posted by tott+Jun 21st, 2004 - 3:55 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tott @ Jun 21st, 2004 - 3:55 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ms. Diorella@Jun 21st, 2004 - 12:20 pm
just my 2 cents :innocent:
Well-spent cents... [/b][/quote]
Why thank you :flower: .

Originally posted by Ms. Diorella@Jun 21st, 2004 - 6:20 am
I think some people have missed the point that a lot of the people who shop at h&m wouldn't even know who Karl is, I know that sounds really elitist but i don't mean it like that, but i mean not everyone is gonna know who he is.
Excuse me? Even the least fashion conscious people I know who don't own a stitch of designer clothing still know who Karl Lagerfeld is. They might not be obsessed with fashion and designers but they don't live in caves. :rolleyes:

Karl Promotes Fast Fashion

Karl Lagerfeld has discovered cheap and chic. The Kaiser confirmed last week that he will be designing a collection for H&M next season. He has also confirmed rumors that he will star in the forthcoming ad campaign for the brand alongside Erin Wasson. Apparently, Karl is so enamored with H&M that he even claims to wear their clothes: "They sent me a suit: 49 Euros. It's divine," he told Women's Wear Daily. "It's unbelievable - the fit, everything. A lot of suits costing 300 Euros are not as good as this one."

:heart: :heart: :heart: :blush: :blush: :woot: :woot: B)

I HOPE IT'S TRUE

thx for the confirmation...now when will it be in stores?...next season...?...so ...next spring...or this fall>?... :unsure:

^^^^I guess it's all who you know...almost everyone I know has no idea who Karl Lagerfeld is. He isn't THAT big of a name outside of the fashion industry.

B)

WWD Tuesday June 22, 2004
Hennes & Mauritz & Karl: Lagerfeld Goes Mass With Fast-Fashion Force

By Miles Socha

PARIS — Karl Lagerfeld isn’t only going fast fashion — he’s also dabbling in men’s wear.

On Monday, Swedish giant Hennes & Mauritz confirmed its collaboration with Lagerfeld for the coming fall-winter season, with a 30-piece Karl Lagerfeld for H&M collection slated for delivery to roughly 800 doors in 19 countries.

This confirms a report in WWD on April 28.

H&M characterized it as a “onetime” deal it hopes will cause a sensation when the merchandise arrives in specially demarcated in-store shops in mid-November.

The Stockholm-based firm declined to give sales projections, but industry sources characterize the figures as a “drop in the bucket” for the $6.2-billion firm compared with the likely windfall in free publicity.

“We wanted to offer something new for our customer that is roughly in line with what we believe about fashion,” said Margareta van den Bosch, head of design at H&M. “And everybody knows about Karl Lagerfeld. I think everybody knows him even if people are not connected to fashion.”

Van den Bosch declined to give specifics about the collection’s styling, which is still being finalized, but said it would include some items for men and span clothes for every day and special occasions. “We hope to appeal to our [existing] customers and new ones,” she said.

Prices are expected to be at the higher end of the fast-fashion spectrum, but within H&M’s “normal price levels,” van den Bosch noted. Prices for women’s items currently range from about $6 for a T-shirt up to about $60 for a tailored jacket.

Although this marks the first time H&M has enlisted a well-known designer for a joint label, mass-class collaborations are becoming increasingly common across the industry — and creating ripple effects throughout retail. Last week saw Isaac Mizrahi mixing the two ends of the spectrum on the same runway as he showed $2,500 dresses destined for Bergdorf Goodman alongside the low-cost clothes he does for Target. Meanwhile, U.K. clothing retailers have a running list of guest designers: Sophia Kokosalaki, Hamish Morrow and Hussein Chalayan for Topshop; Georgina Goodman and Eley Kishimoto for New Look, and Clements Ribeiro for the Allders department store chain.

Sagra Maceira de Rosen, an analyst at J.P. Morgan in London, said the Lagerfeld collaboration should burnish H&M’s image and help it differentiate itself from other low-cost chains. “Beyond extra sales, the driver is the extra publicity,” she said. “I think it’s going to generate high levels of free publicity and p.r., plus editorial in fashion magazines, which is very influential for consumers.”

She noted it is likely to boost traffic during the key holiday selling period, “which may generate additional sales for non-Lagerfeld merchandise and also attract a more fashion-forward, sophisticated customer.”

Also, “it should help to boost H&M’s high-fashion profile without actually increasing fashion exposure, as the collection is very small,” she added.

Still, de Rosen stopped short of saying a bargain Lagerfeld line would dent business for the other brands he designs: Chanel, Fendi and Lagerfeld Gallery. “I don’t think he’s going to steal a lot of customers from Chanel,” she said.

Van den Bosch, who was slated to meet with Lagerfeld in Paris today to finalize the looks, said the designer was immediately receptive to H&M’s overtures.

“He knows a lot about us,” she said. “He’s very much interested in the project.”

For his part, Lagerfeld is a firm believer in fashion’s two extremes — and bored by what’s in between.

“My dream is to do very expensive lines like Chanel and Fendi and very inexpensive things,” he said in an interview last week. “Today people wear T-shirts and jeans with exceptional things.”

Although no details about the marketing plan were disclosed on Monday, Lagerfeld is slated to appear in an H&M ad campaign, which the designer will also photograph, as reported.

Asked if H&M might extend its ties with Lagerfeld beyond one season, or approach other designers for future collaborations, van den Bosch demurred.

“We don’t know yet. We’ll see,” she said. “We have a lot of other projects with our other collections. But this has been fun so far.”

Originally posted by softgrey+Jun 19th, 2004 - 12:50 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jun 19th, 2004 - 12:50 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-kit@Jun 19th, 2004 - 3:50 am

In the glory days of the early 70s , when he was head to head with his arch-rival , Yves Saint Laurent , with his layered collections for CHLOE ( accompanied by those marvellous ankle - creased, thigh high boots , made for him by WALTER STEIGER )
walter steiger...that's a name...

i remember how big he was once upon a time...i actually have several pairs in my wardrobe,..some of my best shoes and boots...i choose him over blahnik and choo and gucci etc...

they are just a bit cooler and less 'precious'...

plus you don't see everyone else wearing the same thing...i even got the ex boyfriend a beautiful pair and convinced my best friend to get a HOT pair of boots... you should see his croc boots!!!

they should be giving me commission... :P

but i stray off topic... :innocent:[/b][/quote]
Those high heeled riding boots were the ' bee's knees ' !!! :P :P :P

They defined a look that was LAGERFELD at his best ! :rolleyes:

Surprisingly , many of Walter Steiger's men's shoes were made in UK's The Lake District , by K SHOES , in a factory in the most beautiful location .

Unfortunately , I think it is nw closed and production moved t the CLARKS SHOES factory in Somerset , who took over K SHOES . :cry:

Another example of ' rationalisation ' meaning the disappearance of a long established UK institution . :angry:

Sorry to lead us off-topic , but I felt I HAD to mention this . :unsure:

KIT :innocent:

* mergred Lillibird's new topic to the original thread :ninja:

why does it say karl is 'dabbling' on menswear :unsure:
he already has his own lagerfeld menswear line

i cant waaaaaaaait though

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryJC