Karl Does H&M

Originally posted by pearsandapples@Apr 28th, 2004 - 2:05 pm
so sad. instead of buying a chanel jacket immitation from a line like, say, INC at macys, one can by a chanel immitation by lagerfeld himself.

WHY would someone pay for a chanel jacket for $5000 when you can get a rip off by the chanel designer himself?
everyone is assuming that karl's going to do chanel-esque designs...

he also designs fendi and lagerfeld gallery which look nothing like chanel...in fact, i'm sure he would be prohibited from imitating the chanel look too closely by the company...

i predict that the lagerfeld stuff for h&m will not actually look very much like chanel at all... :flower:

I was thinking the same thing. I doubt a house like Chanel will allow that kind of thing. :unsure:

Yay! I'm excited about this! Does anyone know about the lower-priced Marc Jacobs line that I heard about a while back?

Originally posted by softgrey+Apr 28th, 2004 - 3:47 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Apr 28th, 2004 - 3:47 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-pearsandapples@Apr 28th, 2004 - 2:05 pm
so sad. instead of buying a chanel jacket immitation from a line like, say, INC at macys, one can by a chanel immitation by lagerfeld himself.

WHY would someone pay for a chanel jacket for $5000 when you can get a rip off by the chanel designer himself?

he also designs fendi and lagerfeld gallery which look nothing like chanel...in fact, i'm sure he would be prohibited from imitating the chanel look too closely by the company...

i predict that the lagerfeld stuff for h&m will not actually look very much like chanel at all... :flower: [/b][/quote]
oh that makes sense... i didn't really read the whole topic, i just thought i read someone say that he was designing chanel style jackets for them...

woops. note to self: never skim read!

Originally posted by softgrey+Apr 28th, 2004 - 8:47 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Apr 28th, 2004 - 8:47 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-pearsandapples@Apr 28th, 2004 - 2:05 pm

i predict that the lagerfeld stuff for h&m will not actually look very much like chanel at all... :flower: [/b][/quote]
wellsaid softgrey :P

i'm sure he will avoid Chanel-isms for H&M,
since this is already over & done with.
even if he does, its such a clever marketing idea
it might actually be welcome from the Chanel group.

Originally posted by pearsandapples@Apr 28th, 2004 - 1:05 pm

how unappealing.

maybe he should be like marc jacobs and open his own chanel "gap" chain stores while he is at it.

Who said he's going to be doing "low-end" knockoffs of Chanel jackets/suits anyhow??

I doubt he's that much of an idiot.

Originally posted by pearsandapples+Apr 28th, 2004 - 2:00 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pearsandapples @ Apr 28th, 2004 - 2:00 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 28th, 2004 - 3:47 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-pearsandapples
@Apr 28th, 2004 - 2:05 pm

i predict that the lagerfeld stuff for h&m will not actually look very much like chanel at all... :flower:
oh that makes sense... i didn't really read the whole topic, i just thought i read someone say that he was designing chanel style jackets for them...

woops. note to self: never skim read! [/b][/quote]
oh... :innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 28th, 2004 - 2:47 pm
this is where it's grey for me...fendi has not turned out anything close to tweed jackets...lagerfeld gallery never knocks off the camelia pin or anything like that....will h&m stop carrying these types of things now that lagerfeld is there...it's conflict of interest

i will further predict that the lagerfeld pieces at h&m will be on the pricey side for h&m...still cheap of course...it's still h&m...but here's a chance for them to make an extra mark up on his name and i'll bet they jump on it... :innocent:

expect lines around the block the day the shipment arrives... :lol:

this is f*cking stupid.

p.s. i bought that issue of vman last week. just for the karl pics infact, the rest of the issue was bland.

related article from guardian

Pretend you know all about: High street designer ranges

Ooh, we love, love, love a fashion rumour. Of course, a good proportion of them turn out to be little more than tabloid transfer tittle-tattle, but they are fun anyway. Let's start with the week's most unlikely, not to say slightly surreal, rumour, which has tongues wagging from Oxford Street to the Avenue Montaigne.

Karl Lagerfeld, designer for Chanel, Fendi and his own Lagerfeld Gallery label - and a man who dismissed Stella McCartney, in her Chloe days, as a T-shirt designer - is allegedly about to design a range for the Swedish high-street giant H&M. It is even suggested that he will make an appearance in the ad campaigns. If this is true (and the H&M press office is responding only with a tight-lipped "we can't comment on rumours") it would be a major coup for the store. But even if this turns out to be a fairy story, there are some fabulous collaborations in the pipeline.

The high street over the past few years has swooped on the credibility a designer name can give, and you can already find Matthew Williamson's designs at Debenhams, Sophia Kokosalaki's at Topshop and Eley Kishimoto's on the New Look rails. The latest designers to (definitely) join in the fun are Clements Ribeiro, whose collection for the department store chain Allders was launched this week: it includes a floral/butterfly print dress, cashmere knits (a Clements classic, but hitherto one with a prohibitive price tag) and polka-dot bits and pieces. Meanwhile, New Look has bagged New Zealander Karen Walker to whip up a selection of cute printed pieces, to be launched in June.

Gosh. That just makes me sad.
If all the high-end designers turn to the masses, what would prestigity would it have for me to buy a CHANEL jacket then? It would have no value if it was sold at some cheap store like H&M or Target... Man... Where is fashion heading to?

What a publicity wh*re. Bleurk. :Puk:

Originally posted by runner@Apr 30th, 2004 - 2:06 am
related article from guardian

Pretend you know all about: High street designer ranges

Ooh, we love, love, love a fashion rumour. Of course, a good proportion of them turn out to be little more than tabloid transfer tittle-tattle, but they are fun anyway. Let's start with the week's most unlikely, not to say slightly surreal, rumour, which has tongues wagging from Oxford Street to the Avenue Montaigne.

Karl Lagerfeld, designer for Chanel, Fendi and his own Lagerfeld Gallery label - and a man who dismissed Stella McCartney, in her Chloe days, as a T-shirt designer - is allegedly about to design a range for the Swedish high-street giant H&M. It is even suggested that he will make an appearance in the ad campaigns. If this is true (and the H&M press office is responding only with a tight-lipped "we can't comment on rumours") it would be a major coup for the store. But even if this turns out to be a fairy story, there are some fabulous collaborations in the pipeline.

The high street over the past few years has swooped on the credibility a designer name can give, and you can already find Matthew Williamson's designs at Debenhams, Sophia Kokosalaki's at Topshop and Eley Kishimoto's on the New Look rails. The latest designers to (definitely) join in the fun are Clements Ribeiro, whose collection for the department store chain Allders was launched this week: it includes a floral/butterfly print dress, cashmere knits (a Clements classic, but hitherto one with a prohibitive price tag) and polka-dot bits and pieces. Meanwhile, New Look has bagged New Zealander Karen Walker to whip up a selection of cute printed pieces, to be launched in June.
thanks again runner...i've taken good notes and plan to check them all out... :flower:

First of all it's not nice to hear that stella mccartney is a "T-shirt" designer and sometimes I think Karl himself is biased!
I can't blame H&M for their efforts even though it's not confirmed yet. I do think it is in the making but I hope not to see Karl himselft in the ad. To me Karl Lagerfeld is one of the best fashion designers ever (just look at the past haute couture collections for Chanel) and his "highness" indeed is not to be messed around with.

like Mercedes-Benz which has A-Class, a modest compact Mercedes and Maybach, the most prestigious high-end luxury saloon at the same time, (I find the fashion world similar to the motor industry. actually each is involved with the other in many ways.), things seem to go well for the time being as long as designers fine-tune their expressions and maintain their brand identity.
maybe they are seeking better ways in this critical turning point.

Actually, I think kind of nice that the average person will have a chance to buy something designed by someone who does couture. I'm sure it will be quite different from Chanel. Their lawyers will see to that. :innocent:

Despite it all, I think it's a nice acknowledgment that the high street is making these progressions, and that designers are accepting that if their designs can be reproduced and sold for relatively nothing, then what they're charging a fortune for, couldn't really be that special, and shouldn't really be kept for those with special incomes..

If he loves fashion as much as he should, working where he is, then it really is in his interest that the average person can be well-dressed, and if it's well-dressed by him even better. :P

I think that as with all these collaborations, putting your creations beside those of an unknown designer is just encouraging people to question what makes you so special anyway and why are you getting the cheques they aren't.

Yah, I wonder how he'd decide what to do... would it be the case that'd he'd think of something impressive, but decide he should probably keep it for his real job. Even if this is him going in a different direction, it could still feel like just his castoffs :blink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->