Hairstyles For Asian Hair

juicytubeaddict said:
in reply to the blonde thing:
in my opinion, i hate it when asian girls dye their hair blonde. even though it may not be the case, it looks like you're trying to hide your ethnicity.

:woot: I thought I was the only one that thought this!! I'm thai, and never in a million years would I ever go completely blonde, I'd look and feel absolutely ridiculous and so does every other oriental female I've seen blonde.. and guys look just as bad in my opinion.. :sick:

Also.. I'd never put red in my hair ..

I've had the choppy layers with sidebangs look in February as I was a hair model for Lance Lowe at a hair and beauty event.. I hated it when it was done .. but after I washed it out, and a few days later, I loved it!

I really want to use some colour in my hair.. but not different shades of brown highlighted in..its soooo boring now ... there arent that many options are there :unsure:

^
no red? I had bright red streaks in my hair for a while and they definitely got a lot of attention. just hard to upkeep.

erica00 said:
I'm in NJ.

But is it true that Americans wouldn't do a good job on Asian hair? I keep trying to convince my mom to let me go because in past experiences, the Asians who cut my hair really didn't do a good job...but my mom keeps insisting that it won't come out good.

It's so frustrating

hey, I'm in NJ too... I've never gotten my hair cut by non-Asians (except maybe once when I was really little...) But it really depends on who you get (I had one pretty bad experience in Chinatown where I asked for layers and when they were done, it looked like they had done absolutely nothing!)

right now, I get my hair cut my mom's aunt, who's a professional hairdresser... I have my hair in long choppy layers right now... I've had it like that for a while - next time I'm asking my mom's aunt to make them thinner (width-wise - does that make sense?)..

but anyway, a good site to see hairstyles (it's Japanese) - hope someone hasn't posted it already: http://www.rasysa.com/pkg/style/

xiao_ai009 said:
hey, I'm in NJ too... I've never gotten my hair cut by non-Asians (except maybe once when I was really little...) But it really depends on who you get (I had one pretty bad experience in Chinatown where I asked for layers and when they were done, it looked like they had done absolutely nothing!)

right now, I get my hair cut my mom's aunt, who's a professional hairdresser... I have my hair in long choppy layers right now... I've had it like that for a while - next time I'm asking my mom's aunt to make them thinner (width-wise - does that make sense?)..

but anyway, a good site to see hairstyles (it's Japanese) - hope someone hasn't posted it already: http://www.rasysa.com/pkg/style/

Thanks for the site. Yeah, I've had pretty bad experiences with getting my hair cut at Asian places. I'm getting it cut tomorrow at a Korean place...my mom won't let me get it done at an American salon because they're expensive and we're pretty tight on money. I'm going to get a trim and long side bangs. I hope they come out ok. :blink:

I get my hair cut at an Asian salon. It only costs me 15 bucks(without shampoo/dry). It's not fancy by any means, but they've cut my hair better than any other place. I did go to other salons and they just didn't know how to cut Asian hair. Not to say that Americans can't cut Asian hair... they probably just didn't know how to handle it. Now if I went to a more expensive salon with more experienced stylists, I'm sure they could. But I like spending $15 as opposed to $40+

FoxyC said:
:woot: I thought I was the only one that thought this!! I'm thai, and never in a million years would I ever go completely blonde, I'd look and feel absolutely ridiculous and so does every other oriental female I've seen blonde..

objects are oriental, not people - like an oriental rug. people from the orient are asians.

xcoldricex said:
objects are oriental, not people - like an oriental rug. people from the orient are asians.

I guess you somehow got offended then lol

When I, and many other people say 'asian' .. it highly means people from places such as India ok? .. which if you didnt know, was why I said 'oriental' even though its the topic anyway! ..

Maybe its an english thing .. but if you're ever here, trust me, the majority of people will always refer to orientals as orientals, as to distinguish them apart from the 'asians'

^ At least in that states, it's pretty offensive. To me, something from the Orient means....like spices. Not people. I come from the continent of Asia, thus Asian. East Indians are also Asian, they're usually identified as South Asian. And then there's American Indians, who ususaly don't like Native Americans. There's reasoning behind that too.

Sorry I studied this pretty deeply in college.

But that is why Oriental is offensive. I get all pissed off and start screaming about rugs usually, too.

foxyc, sorry i didn't mean to attack you, its just something that i encounter all the time that irritates me.

yep. so instead of using oriental you can use east asian. and south asians for 'asians'.

xcoldricex said:

I never liked the word "oriental" but someone told me that it was rather offensive, so I generally avoided it. Then it sort of became second nature that when people referred to me as "oriental," I'd take offense, yet I could never define why or how it is wrong.

But distinguishing between objects and people is something I've subconsciously done all my life and I'm really glad that the distinction's been brought to my attention.

I'm considering a major in sociology so this sort of thing fascinates me. (I'm currently taking MURDER!!)

ooo yay i've been tryin' to find a thread like that..

everytime i'm in the salon gettin my hair done they always have such wonderful jap/taiwanese magazines with super pretty hairstyleeesss and even how to you it youself.

but they're all in like, japanese or chinese (fan ti zi).. i cant read both. :(

do you guys know of any magazines in english that are like that? like really focused on hairstyles and how to do em'.

please help! im half asian so my hair isnt exactly... well, asian. i have thin, wavy hair (which i totally hate. i wish it was straight) that looks messy even after ive just combed it. its about mid length and layered a little from my previous haircut which was like 2 years ago. my natural hair color is some shade of brown (i dont really remember it cause i havent seen it since i was 12 and im 17 now) and right now its a brownish blondish color. also, i have split ends like u wouldnt believe! wat im looking for is a really funky, totally layered cut that sort of styles itself. tell me. would this look good for someone with my type of hair?

10557_5.jpg

im thinking of getting my hair permed...
dont worry,
its not gonna make my hair puffy, its just gonna add some waves.. :P

i like the first one better, but myhair isnt that long and im thinking that kind of

wave might not look as good with shorter hair.. (between shoulder-chest)

the second one is curlier... what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 429bd03c16160.jpg
    429bd03c16160.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 조윤희.jpg
    조윤희.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 26
erica00 said:
Where does everyone with Asian hair get their hair cut? I never know where I should go get it cut and I am told that American places won't do a good job at cutting hair so my mom always takes me to some Asian barber or something and it never comes out good.

I don't get my hair done by an Asian person.. because each time I have had my hair done, it's way too conservative for me. My stylist is Dominican. I actually found her through another asian friend of mine, whose blond hair I loved. I have heard of that before, though.. that asian people know asian hair better, but I disagree. It just takes someone really experienced, especially with color.

Here is a pic with me, I just had my highlights (roots redone). I have black underneath and blond highlights and brown lowlights on top, with a layered cut so that the black underneath can be seen. I have a lot of fine hair, as my hairdresser says. I'm still dying for thick hair.. but layers seem to work well.

DSC07140.jpg

Anyhow.. good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Eek, that pic turned out tiny.. well, you can look at my profile to see the hair, :smile:

Just letting everybody know that Andy has let the mod team know that we need to be vigilant about making sure all things posted are properly attributed.
We need to make sure we 'do the right thing' and credit all content if it being referenced from another site. In the future if I see images not credited, I will unfortunately have to delete them. That's the US law where our server is located.

I have tried to follow this rule myself whenever I could remember were I saved a image from.. but from now on, if I or anybody else can't remember where we took a image from..we should refrain from posting it.

FoxyC said:
I guess you somehow got offended then lol

When I, and many other people say 'asian' .. it highly means people from places such as India ok? .. which if you didnt know, was why I said 'oriental' even though its the topic anyway! ..

Maybe its an english thing .. but if you're ever here, trust me, the majority of people will always refer to orientals as orientals, as to distinguish them apart from the 'asians'
Far East Asians are the best. :innocent:

Which brand of shampoo and conditioners do you (girls with asian hairs) use?

i use crede shampoo and conditioners (the yellow container ones)

and I also use kerastase sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->