Hedi Slimane - Designer, Creative Director of Celine

CELINE ultra-thin diapers? 😭

Sorry I’m just imagining Hedi shoving kids in rock outfits and ultra skinny leather pants.
Skinny black onesie. Complete with superfluous zippers and built-in 30mm heeled booties.
OR
Oversized white onesie with 'C E L I N E' screenprinted across the front.

Inside Mr. Slimane there are two Hedis: the obsessive auteur stylist Hedi and the pragmatic businessman Hedi trying to rack up enough low effort logo sales to justify a proper haute couture show. Which one will take charge of Celine Bébé?

Celine Bébé?

I’m reading this in Moira Rose’s voice.

Him not doing a proper couture show is more on him. He could afford one at Celine. They sell ‘couture’ pieces already and in typical Hedi fashion it’s all sequins.

What makes my eye roll is the insistence on calling himself a couturier in many CELINE copies and collaterals. His wikipedia even brands him as a couturier I wouldn’t be surprised if he edited it.

It’s a marketing tool, same that Slimane did for Haute Couture at Saint Laurent, YSL, Lola you know….
Exactly. I don’t think we need another voice like that in Couture.
I think Couture should be back into being a forward looking operation that drives fashion forward. The next hiring at Chanel will be crucial to see if that’s the dynamic for the future.

Couture for Slimane is just a beading contest anyway.

And Couture is not in the spirit of Celine.

Exactly. I don’t think we need another voice like that in Couture.
I think Couture should be back into being a forward looking operation that drives fashion forward. The next hiring at Chanel will be crucial to see if that’s the dynamic for the future.

Couture for Slimane is just a beading contest anyway.

And Couture is not in the spirit of Celine.
It’s true Lola, CELINE hasn’t an heritage of a couture maison but that doesn’t mean Hedi is not capable (of doing couture). Look at the winter collection Arc de Triomphe: the majority of looks are indeed couture or made with that purpose on mind.

Couture is not in the spirit of Celine.
CELINE hasn’t an heritage of a couture maison but that doesn’t mean Hedi is not capable (of doing couture).
Hedi is doing Tolkien-style universe building at Celine. If he or the suits decide Celine should be a storied couture house, he will just retcon a legacy of couture into the Celine mythos based on a tenuously related, probably unverified but plausible anecdote from the house's history. "VIPIANA ONCE MADE A CUSTOM PAIR OF SHOES FOR A CHILD THAT BRIEFLY DREAMED OF BECOMING AN OPERA SINGER. SINCE 2018, HEDI SLIMANE HAS REVIVED THIS STORIED TRADITION OF CELINE COUTURE BY OCCASIONALLY ACCEPTING COMMISSIONS FOR STAGE OUTFITS FROM SCRAWNY HIPSTER MUSICIANS."

It’s true Lola, CELINE hasn’t an heritage of a couture maison but that doesn’t mean Hedi is not capable (of doing couture). Look at the winter collection Arc de Triomphe: the majority of looks are indeed couture or made with that purpose on mind.
And I’m not impressed.
What is great about Hedi is the presentation. It elevates everything but in essence, it’s a kind of MGC’s type of clothes that I find terribly boring.
Anybody who is great with cut is capable of doing Haute Couture but that doesn’t mean that they needs to.
Even his last quote on quote last show for YSL that was « Couture ». Amazing presentation and quite an impactful show as it was probably the first time that he displayed any type of creative effort but in reality, I’m not sure he is the one to lead fashion.

We are lacking in terms of leading voices in fashion in Couture. When the best show of the season, seasons after seasons is Armani Prive, it means that there’s a need for an injection of creativity, not just slick presentations.

We are lacking in terms of leading voices in fashion in Couture. When the best show of the season, seasons after seasons is Armani Prive, it means that there’s a need for an injection of creativity, not just slick presentations.

The best Hedi could hope for in doing couture is exactly that—Armani Prive. He is too limited to try things design wise. I don’t think he could even pull off what Armani is doing unless he miraculously reverts back to the best of his Dior Homme. Armani really is one voice enough for that vision of couture. You’re right, we need more who can pull fashion forward.

Hedi is my favorite creative director in the world, but not designer. I am his customer, I would like to see a couture show, but we all know it wouldn’t be groundbreaking. He might technically be a couturier and he might call CELINE a couture house, but certainly not haute couture.

Hedi is doing Tolkien-style universe building at Celine. If he or the suits decide Celine should be a storied couture house, he will just retcon a legacy of couture into the Celine mythos based on a tenuously related, probably unverified but plausible anecdote from the house's history. "VIPIANA ONCE MADE A CUSTOM PAIR OF SHOES FOR A CHILD THAT BRIEFLY DREAMED OF BECOMING AN OPERA SINGER. SINCE 2018, HEDI SLIMANE HAS REVIVED THIS STORIED TRADITION OF CELINE COUTURE BY OCCASIONALLY ACCEPTING COMMISSIONS FOR STAGE OUTFITS FROM SCRAWNY HIPSTER MUSICIANS."
I'm rooting for you 🗣!!!

The best Hedi could hope for in doing couture is exactly that—Armani Prive. He is too limited to try things design wise. I don’t think he could even pull off what Armani is doing unless he miraculously reverts back to the best of his Dior Homme. Armani really is one voice enough for that vision of couture. You’re right, we need more who can pull fashion forward.

Hedi is my favorite creative director in the world, but not designer. I am his customer, I would like to see a couture show, but we all know it wouldn’t be groundbreaking. He might technically be a couturier and he might call CELINE a couture house, but certainly not haute couture.
Ok so he is a: Creative Director Couturier.....i get from your summary. I like that for him :-)

The Celine project is really simple it's a rebuilding a Parisien house with all possible codes that work in the modern day as a brand and in the truest possible sense of that a brand from paris with a history that is linked with the ideas of a lifestyle of a french individual via the lens of Hedi´s obsessions that he sees fit for our current time.

It for sure has cosplay of a HC house because these are the french Maison codes he is obsessed with to juxtapose with his music and youth cultures esthetic and influences.

We never see lots of complaints for Rei´s obsession with European garments and punk etc we never really hammer on that Miuccia should change her obsession with film and uniforms and bad taste!!!

Its funny with Hedi its this thing of wanting to change a lover/stranger you just met into a "husband of your dreams" but he keeps F.....ing you over with his ways.
It's cheaper to get therapy and move on at this point lol

I take Hedi as he is a imperfect obsessive nerd ........bad CELINE logo sweatshirts not included of course.

love S

.... were really pretending that hedi doing his job in celine (building a luxury lifestyle) is revolutionary. with a bare minimum fashion in a fashion house. i wish hermes thought of it with their horses.

i guess we deserve hedi couture because of all the random names in the couture calendar. (i dont think he can do a couture show or that he is a couturier at all)

ts funny with Hedi its this thing of wanting to change a lover/stranger you just met into a "husband of your dreams" but he keeps F.....ing you over with his ways.
It's cheaper to get therapy and move on at this point lol

Oh it’s actually true. Might be vulgar but it’s like wanting that big c**k hookup to be more but can’t be. Doesn’t mean you should stop benefiting. I love my once in a while big c**k jacket and pants fix from him. To move on is missing out. You just know the limitations and what you want from him, and vulgar metaphors aside, it’s perfectly okay.

.... were really pretending that hedi doing his job in celine (building a luxury lifestyle) is revolutionary. with a bare minimum fashion in a fashion house.
I certainly wouldn't use "revolutionary" to explain why I appreciate Hedi's output as much as I do. The underlying artistic, and probably emotional and psychological/neurological, approach that I see in Hedi's (best) creative output of all mediums happens to resonate strongly with me. The endless variations on a theme, tweaking one thing at a time, the working within established dress codes of specific subcultures, making small changes that have meaning within the zoomed in context of that niche but are almost unnoticeable without that context. Maybe Hedi's work speaks to some subclinical autistic type trait buried somewhere in my brain. I see the same repetitiveness you do, I just happen to find it fun.

And so I'm enjoying watching 'the Hedi thing' scaled up to the level of Celine's overall branding and structure. I don't expect it to appeal to everyone. If anything, I'm pleasantly surprised there are so many others who see the same appeal I do.
I'm rooting for you 🗣!!!
For Hedi? Or for my midlife career change to Celine copy writer lol

Repetitiveness for me is relying on a brand that i can find the things i need or want season after season and many successful brands have this in common when it comes down to what's selling and keeping people coming back.

It's also a very menswear thing to have same thing over and over again with minor tweaks.

Repetitiveness with the tweeks is also about style or taste then about being revolutionary, i don't think anyone shops for dressing revolutionary lol

I don't like for me the logo side of Celine merch, but every brand does it i understand people want this , if it keeps the lights on for the few boring things without a logo i am fine with this at every brand i shop at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aieshai
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->