Hedi Slimane - Designer

I f*cking hate his aesthetic. Give it a break you chief directors.

it seems like it's just lvmh needing to be all "on top" that they've done this, nothing else

i love hedi but yeah .. would have preferred not to see him at this exact brand. i am happy we will get to see his work again though !

I think Hedi did what he did at YSL because the brand was in dying need of a turnaround. They needed to bring up slumping sales and he had to go all the way over there, or it would not have worked. I don't think he will go to Celine and do the same thing as YSL, he'll create a new aesthetic and adapt.

If revenues at Celine is already approaching a billion, there's not great need to alter entirely. If what the report stated is true about LVMH looking to double that figure, then I think the decision was more about him introducing menswear, fragrances, and E-commerce, which Celine doesn't do yet.

If all he did was to boost the sales. How is it possible for him to even suggest all these mindless narcisstic changes to begin with? And as for the clothes, to go over the top thrifty even more in the end of his tenure and wouldn't dare to get some guts to propose something creative? Man is just about sticking with that basic look, always and forever.

If all he did was to boost the sales. How is it possible for him to even suggest all these mindless narcisstic changes to begin with? And as for the clothes, to go over the top thrifty even more in the end of his tenure and wouldn't dare to get some guts to propose something creative? Man is just about sticking with that basic look, always and forever.

I think that speaks more about the customer base than Hedi. Rule #1 of business, give the customers what they want, not what you want them to want :wink:

Believe me, if Alber wanted to work, i think it would have been done already. It's not like he is hiding...

It's the reason I find it strange he is not at a big house already. He is not hiding, but there have been no rumors about him being a contender for any maajor job, either, right? If it is, indeed, his own choice, then more power to him, and I hope he comes back when he feels ready.

Such an unexpected choice and I'm honestly disappointed. While it is exciting and smart that they are doing menswear, I've never really been a fan of Heidi's work. I don't care how well it'll sell, Céline is a brand with such a strong identity that if he turns it into Saint Laurent 2.0 then I'll just cry.

YIKES

not lookign forward to celine turning into a teenage-baiting faux rocknroll mess.

Believe me, if Alber wanted to work, i think it would have been done already. It's not like he is hiding...

Not hiding but waiting....

This is rather unexpected yet very clever. Phoebe's success definitely gave LVMH the confidence to accelerate Celine into a major bankable fashion house. It makes sense to hire Slimane because more than anyone else he is able to start things from scratch such as the menswear and perfumes. Its also perfect for Slimane because his insistence of having complete creative control over all aspects would have been rather complicated at all other big houses, including Chanel.

I love him but if he sends another parade of teenage angst down the runway I'm done.

From a positive point of view for Zara and H&M "design" departments this is such huge great news!! It´s easier copying Slimane than Phoebe´s work! :mrgreen:

And tell me it's not what Celine heads expect

lol like I said, I believe he will adapt. Hedi has an acute sense of identifying what the customer wants and giving it to them. Doubt he will change so drastically so as to alienate all existing customers, but the change will be different enough to bring in new ones.

Can we at least give him a chance to see what he does tho?

I think Hedi did what he did at YSL because the brand was in dying need of a turnaround. They needed to bring up slumping sales and he had to go all the way over there, or it would not have worked. I don't think he will go to Celine and do the same thing as YSL, he'll create a new aesthetic and adapt.

If revenues at Celine is already approaching a billion, there's not great need to alter entirely. If what the report stated is true about LVMH looking to double that figure, then I think the decision was more about him introducing menswear, fragrances, and E-commerce, which Celine doesn't do yet.

This is Hedi Slimane. He is not going to change his aesthetic for nobody.
Let's not talk like YSL was a dying house. YSL hit rock bottom in the 90's when Hedi was there first. Yes, Alber and Tom helped the brand doing good but the brand became profitable with Pilati. The real problem was that the accessories business was stronger than the RTW in an excessive way and that with clothes not selling, mixed to bad reviews and above all Pierre Bergé saying to everyone who wants to hear it that the designer in charge is not good...Quite difficult to maintain an healthy relationship.

Hedi is not going to change anything in his aesthetic. My only hope is that it evolves beyond his obsession with young skinny rockers. It's a 4 year contract and i want to see something else.

LVMH is cashing into a star designer because it allows them to do a 180° shift.

Hedi is obviously very ambitious so i wonder why they didn't offered him the Dior job. I find it so weird to have KVA and Hedi Slimane in the same group...

this is what people were saying before SL... And what he delivered was his usual teeange thrift store aesthetic and lots of money from fashion victims.

I don't see how SL clientele were fashion victims? That's the Vetements/ Gucci lane. Hedi's clothes were very simple (maybe too simple for some), they were all very well made and there was something for everyone.

People forget how good his Dior Homme years were... He completely changed menswear...and if guys wear skinny jeans today it's sill because of him haha.

Nobody forget it. Hedi is a genius. He has a vision, he can deliver a show and what he does is always slick.
He is a wonderful menswear designer. A lot tried but nobody can do what he does the way he does. BUT he is an awful womenswear designer and that's my concern.

Of course his clothes are well made but i'm sorry: this is exactly what i expect from any luxury fashion house. Add to that, given the simplicity of his clothes and the obvious lack of imagination or fantasy in his clothes.

I will be the number supporter of Hedi when he will decide to design womenswear. And, i've said design.

Agreed ... his status is 100% voluntary. Fashion may be suffering for it, but he's not ready ... I just hope at some point he will be.

I never wore Celine, and I take this as bad news ... if I had a personal stake in it, you would be seeing a meltdown :lol:

I couldn't care less. I'm talking about the clothes here.

The fact that he remains in LA makes things only worse. I don't expect him to find any source of inspiration there.

same... I'm disappointed and sad more than anything. Céline by Phoebe was (is) the only brand that keeps me excited about fashion.. and I'm a designer..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noorap
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->