Hedi Slimane - Designer

Poor Donatella...all her potential heirs keep getting snatched up by these big conglomerates lol.

If the rumors of Hedi leaving are true, I wonder what/who prompted the decision. He pretty much has complete creative control over the entire brand so I would think he'd be satisfied. And even though it's become tired, isn't the brand still doing well? So I can't imagine that the execs would be trying to get rid of him for poor sales.

Can Slimane do same Karl does? I'm not sure Slimane can sketch - have so much ideas as Karl has. Years long.

It’s entirely possible that Karl may be the hardest worker in the industry. But from the doc I’ve seen, along with his general blasé attitude and his untouchable status in the industry, I would say he’s pretty much the epitome of the pampered and sheltered-- and clueless aristocrat. Doesn’t a member actually have a signature that’s a quote from Karl along the lines of “I hate hard workers…”?

Karl may have a lot of ideas… but even the majority of designs that make it to the production at the golden touch of the in-house team at Chanel are ugly-as-sh*t to me. Karl is the perfect example to me of having an endless bounty of ideas doesn’t necessary always mean that they’re even decent. But once again, he’s Karl and it’s Chanel, so that combination is immune to criticism or drops in sales.

BTW, Vacarello is a horrorshow to me— and not in a good way. Although at least with him, the casting won’t resemble a pubescent music festival like it has with Hedi, so there’s that positive part if he should take over SL LOL

^ The quote is along the lines of, It must appear to be effortless. Karl's travel schedule alone would exhaust many people.

No designer or brand is immune to either criticism or sales dropping off. Chanel isn't my cup of tea, but it clearly is for many people, and I don't think that's happening by accident. Many people may like to be underestimated, but that doesn't mean they should be.

It seems like i'm the only one rooting for Nicolas at Chanel:rofl:

The more i'm reading some of the points made, the more i'm convinced that Hedi is not the right person for it.
I don't want Hedi to capture the energy of what Karl did with success 10 years ago. He is doing that at Saint Laurent but i don't want that at Chanel...

Karl has the best team at Chanel because he was able to build it during 30 years. From the people who are working with him since his Chloe days to young students he took once they have graduate.

I have a friend who did her internship at Chanel and she said to me that it was so interesting and yet weird because it was really about full creativity.

I believe that Karl successor must be similar in terms of drive and career. That's why i'm rooting for Nicolas. His career is very similar to Karl. From his earlier days with Trussardi & Callaghan to his experience with a real couture house (Balenciaga) and Vuitton. He is creative enough for the job.

The cosmetic side of Chanel sells itself and Hedi could just act as a consultant.
Karl act as a consultant already. He has total creative control for the fashion side of the house and is totally independent but he can have influence in some of their choices (Anna Mouglalis being the global face of the house, Vanessa Paradis...etc.). He has famously dissed Audrey Tautou when she was the face of N°5 and they didn't renewed her contract.

Don't let his nonchalant attitude fool you. He is a hard worker.
Hedi should stay at Saint Laurent. Chanel is not for him!

After 30 years, the team you built yourself knows what you want. No doubt earlier, and no doubt off camera, there was and is more communication.

I like Audrey ... one of many things Karl and I disagree about :wink:

I don't know about Nicolas at Chanel. I think Vuitton has already proven that a marquee brand ruins his work ... so the last thing he needs is an even bigger one!

Last edited by a moderator:
After 30 years, the team you built yourself knows what you want. No doubt earlier, and no doubt off camera, there was and is more communication.

I don't know about Nicolas at Chanel. I think Vuitton has already proven that a marquee brand ruins his work ... so the last thing he needs is an even bigger one!

Karl is a phenomen, Lola has right, he is a hard worker. He is not aristocrat. He has this Image, but he made it by himself, from hidden birthday till look he has years Long.

Yes, sure.Karl's travel shedule would exhaust many People. We have one example, Raf Simons left Dior because of too much Shows, collections, ect.

I would like to see Nicolas at Chanel one day Karl leave...

Anyway, again one article and at the first place is Slimane's Name

Source : businessoffashion.com

The Risks of Changing Creative Directors

Changing the guard at the creative helm of a major fashion house is capital-intensive but can reap great rewards. What’s at stake when fashion houses cycle through designers?

LONDON, United Kingdom — Changing the guard at the creative helm of a fashion house is often necessary to transform stagnant brands and boost business results. Indeed, new creative directors have successfully reignited some of fashion’s top houses. In 2014, three years after Hedi Slimane took the creative reins of Yves Saint Laurent, the business drove €707 million in sales revenue for parent company Kering, up 27 percent on 2013. Meanwhile, Céline — once dusty and dormant — under Phoebe Philo’s direction now drives upwards of €750 million in sales for LVMH, according to market sources.

But along with the promise of reward, making these kinds of changes at the creative helm of major brands comes with serious capital expenditure and significant risk, not least that the new partnership won’t endure long enough to deliver return on investment. In the last six months alone, head designers have departed from Dior, Lanvin, Zegna, Balenciaga and Berluti. Stefano Pilati, Alexander Wang and Raf Simons all spent less than four years in their most recent jobs — at considerable cost.

Installing a new creative director isn’t cheap. For one thing, creative directors, who are often paid millions of dollars, rarely arrive alone and companies must face the logistical and financial challenges of accommodating not only their new hire, but his or her team. For example, when Dior hired Raf Simons in 2012, the company also hired Pieter Mulier, Simons’ right-hand man, and re-organised the entire operating model of the studio to suit Simons’ approach. Meanwhile, when Hedi Slimane joined Saint Laurent in 2012, the brand set up a design studio with a team of fifteen in Los Angeles (thousands of miles from Saint Laurent’s headquarters) where the designer lives. Similarly, Paris-based Céline created a new studio in London for Phoebe Philo when she joined the house in 2008, requiring scores of employees to shuttle back and forth between London, Paris and Florence, where the company’s leather goods operations are located.

Introducing a new aesthetic often requires extensive renovations to retail stores. As a case in point, Gucci is currently undergoing a complete revamp of its store network so as to better communicate Alessandro Michele’s new creative vision for the brand. According to Mario Ortelli, senior research analyst for luxury goods at Sanford C. Bernstein, updating Gucci’s 512 stores will take three to four years to complete and will cost between €650 million and €850 million. This year alone, Gucci’s investment in store renovations will add up to the equivalent of 10 to 20 percent of total revenues.

“The timing of the store rollout is vital,” said Ortelli. Brands must find a balance, he says, between “spending a lot and hurting profitability” by revamping all of their stores at once and delaying renovations for too long after the appointment of the new designer, by which time existing stores will feel “old and inconsistent.” A brand might shell out millions for store renovations without seeing a return on investment for several years, Ortelli added.

However, failing to revamp stores to reflect the arrival of a new creative director carries its own risks. During Raf Simons’ three-year tenure as creative director of Christian Dior, the company did not embark on a major store refreshment programme. While this saved Dior the costs associated with renovating its entire store network, some saw it as restricting Simons’ creative control and a contributing factor to the designer’s disenchantment with the house.

Then, there’s the task of introducing a new designer’s products to stores. This can be done in two ways. Initially, Gucci stores were selling Alessandro Michele’s collections alongside older products by previous creative director Frida Giannini and the house’s core ‘hero’ products such as loafers and monogram bags. Customer response to Michele’s new collections is critical to the brand’s future and Gucci must be careful not to create a confusing clash of new and old aesthetics, warned Ortelli. However, leather goods make up 57 percent of Gucci’s overall revenue and, in order to maintain sales, popular handbag styles such as the Soho or Swing must remain in stores.

On the other hand, Céline and Saint Laurent both wiped the slate clean when their new creative directors took the reins, completely removing old products from stores. These brands are less dependent on leather goods — at the time of Hedi Slimane’s arrival in 2011, leather goods made up about 35 percent of Yves Saint Laurent sales — so abandoning old product to introduce a new designer’s aesthetic carries less risk.

But a full changing of the guard also takes time to yield results. Under Hedi Slimane, Saint Laurent revenues grew more than 20 percent each year from 2012 to 2014, according to a report by Sanford C. Bernstein. However, Saint Laurent sales did not show sustained outperformance of the overall luxury goods market until a year and a half after the designer’s arrival, said Ortelli. Similarly, he predicts that Alessandro Michele’s creative direction will take at least one and a half years to translate into significant sales traction, despite the company having already invested millions of euros to implement the designer’s new aesthetic.

So why, then, are brands churning through designers so quickly?

As an industry, it doesn’t seem viable to have designers turn over as quickly as they have been at the industry’s top brands. Indeed, the founding designers of many prestigious houses, from Chanel to Giorgio Armani, spent decades at their eponymous labels. After the departure of Raf Simons, coming so soon after Galliano’s exit, Dior must now appoint its second new creative director in under four years.

While Simons’ decision to leave Dior seems to have been his own, many other brands may not be giving their creative directors enough time to settle into their roles. Fashion houses may not benefit from the kind of free-agency deals that see professional athletes hopping from team to team. A true long-term collaboration between a designer and a house — for example, Phoebe Philo at Céline (eight years), Tomas Maier at Bottega Veneta (15 years) and Riccardo Tisci at Givenchy (11 years) — usually yields a much higher chance of creative and commercial impact.

Great article but something that is not often mentionned is designer's egos.
The creative force behind Dior, Chanel, Hermes & Louis Vuitton needs maybe to have less ego than the others. Those are institutions and when working for one of those houses, you need to understand, as a designer, that those brands are bigger than you.

You can't Change everything at Dior and Chanel. Being responsible for the fashion and having total creative control is enough sometimes. Why wanting more when you can't have it?

Can Slimane adapt himself to that system? Raf was fustrated to not have any involvement in the beauty side and the stores's designs but Galliano did his job like that.

Slimane redesigned Dior Homme. Can he work for a house he can't redesign to his image?

He liked her at first. He has designed a special couture dress for her in the past. But he didn't liked that she said in a interview that she loved and had Chanel rain boots + he didn't liked that she wore a yellow Dries Van Noten dress at a Premiere of her Chanel movie.

I think Nicolas is talented enough. His work at Vuitton shows that he can be very versatile. He is the masculine equivalent to Phoebe Philo.

Great article but something that is not often mentionned is designer's egos.
The creative force behind Dior, Chanel, Hermes & Louis Vuitton needs maybe to have less ego than the others. Those are institutions and when working for one of those houses, you need to understand, as a designer, that those brands are bigger than you.

You can't Change everything at Dior and Chanel. Being responsible for the fashion and having total creative control is enough sometimes. Why wanting more when you can't have it?

Can Slimane adapt himself to that system? Raf was fustrated to not have any involvement in the beauty side and the stores's designs but Galliano did his job like that.

Slimane redesigned Dior Homme. Can he work for a house he can't redesign to his image?

I think Nicolas is talented enough. His work at Vuitton shows that he can be very versatile. He is the masculine equivalent to Phoebe Philo.

Right!
Sure, talented Designers can and must have ego ( everybody has his/her ego,
Designers egos are often bigger than their talents and their creativity or they started to be on the ego trip after making few successful collections.
The brand can make from one talented person a star designer and same brand can "finish" career of the same designer.
Alessandro Michele in Gucci, lucky guy. Creativity and a very big luck , and we have a star designer.
Or i would like to see if somebody will pay so much money for Hedi's creations if there weren't SL Label on it.
Maybe from some point, some moment , some designers starts to think they are unique and the brands will not exist without their creations and , on this kind of ego trip they start to ask more and more, they forget about creative process, about all what they got yet because they want more, because it's also about total control ,more control that they have.

let's pray Slimane goes into retirement after SL, hopefully soon enough

^Hope so. I was excited that he was coming back cause I like him a lot and what he did at Dior was cool, but his work for Saint Laurent has been beyond banal. There is no design at all. I recognize that there are some very desirable things at the stores, but YSL deserves someone better.

I'm tired of no designed garments.

^^Count me in. Short lived hype I hope/think, just like Gucci.

One of fashion’s preeminent image-makers and trendsetters, Hedi Slimane is to lead Céline into men’s wear, couture and fragrance as its new artistic, creative and image director, WWD has learned.

He is to join the LVMH brand on Feb. 1 and unveil his first fashion proposition for men and women next September during Paris Fashion Week.

It marks a major homecoming for Slimane, who cemented his reputation — and influenced men’s tailoring for more than a decade — as the designer of Dior Homme between 2000 and 2007. He went on to reinvent and ignite the Kering-owned house of Yves Saint Laurent, which he rechristened Saint Laurent, between 2012 and 2016 — all the while maintaining a close rapport with the Arnault family, which controls LVMH and Dior.

In a curious twist of fate, Slimane will be reunited with Sidney Toledano, the legendary chief executive officer of Dior, who recruited the designer to propel the storied couture house into men’s fashion.

Toledano is to relinquish his role to Pietro Beccari, who joins the management helm of Dior from Fendi, and become chairman and ceo of LVMH Fashion Group, which includes Céline along with the brands Givenchy, Kenzo, Loewe, Marc Jacobs, Pucci, Rossi Moda and Nicholas Kirkwood.

“I am particularly happy that Hedi is back within the LVMH Group and taking the creative reins of our Céline maison,” said Bernard Arnault, chairman and ceo of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, calling Slimane “one of the most talented designers of our time.

“I have been a great admirer of his work since we collaborated on Dior Homme, which he launched to global acclaim in the 2000s. His arrival at Céline reinforces the great ambitions that LVMH has for this maison. Hedi will oversee all creativity for both women’s and men’s fashion, but also for leather goods, accessories and fragrances. He will leverage his global vision and unique esthetic virtuosity in further building an iconic French maison.”

It is understood Céline, prized for its sumptuous leather goods and modernist clothing, is already approaching 1 billion euros in revenues.

Sources indicate LVMH has ambitions to double that figure as it leverages Slimane’s global following, his design chops, and a widening of the product universe.

It is understood the first freestanding Céline men’s boutiques are to open as early as 2019. Slimane’s designs for men are sure to attract keen interest from retailers and fashion fans alike — while perhaps sparking anxiety among some of his designer colleagues in men’s.

In a statement, Slimane said he is “delighted to join Bernard Arnault in this all-embracing and fascinating mission for Céline. I greatly look forward to returning to the exciting world of fashion and the dynamism of the ateliers.”

The Frenchman takes over Céline from Phoebe Philo, who announced her resignation from the brand last December after an electrifying 10-year tenure, during which she reinvented the brand in her image and made it a watchword for sleek designs crackling with currency.

It is understood Philo will not work for another label in the near future and the fall 2018 collection, to be unveiled in March, will be the last collection crafted by her.

Given his close rapport with the music scene, Slimane is sure to bring a blast of cool and youth to Céline, which enjoyed more of a high-minded, adult allure under Philo.

According to sources, Slimane is to maintain his home base of Los Angeles and lead creation there, while shuttling to Paris, where Céline is based. Its Rue Vivienne headquarters boasts extensive ateliers.

The designer is expected to eventually offer made-to-measure designs — in the manner of couture but without big fashion shows — as he did while at Saint Laurent.

It is understood his first fragrance for the brand could be ready before the end of the year. While Slimane did not have purview over beauty during his Saint Laurent tenure, much to his chagrin — that business is controlled by licensing partner L’Oréal — he had a good deal of influence at Dior Homme, introducing several fragrances and a complete skin care range.

The exacting designer will also have input into Céline’s store fleet, which counts 150 locations and echo his taste for luxurious materials like marble and modernist design references.

Slimane’s career path in some ways echoes Philo’s. Slimane took a sabbatical from fashion after exiting Dior Homme and focused on his photography and artmaking sidelines. Philo, who forged her reputation at Chloé, made her fashion comeback at Céline in 2009 after a three-year sabbatical.

“Hedi Slimane is an exceptional designer, complete artist and passionate about his work,” Toledano commented in a statement. “I am certain that he will bring his renowned creative energy and discipline to lead Céline to even greater success.”

Last year, LVMH recruited Berluti’s Séverine Merle to take the management helm of Céline and lead it into online selling.

Merle, who worked under Berluti chairman Antoine Arnault, is a veteran of LVMH, having worked at its flagship Vuitton brand as its general manager for France and women’s wear merchandising director.
wwd.com

This is a twist I did not see coming. But I'm excited to see Céline menswear for what it's worth.

So he ruined YSL and will now do the same at Celine? I'm disappointed.

So he ruined YSL and will now do the same at Celine? I'm disappointed.

Ruined? Tell that to the revenues he generated there...

Definitely didn't see this coming. Does that mean he will move the Celine atelier to LA?:shock:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruined? Tell that to the revenues he generated there...

I couldn't care less. I'm talking about the clothes here.

The fact that he remains in LA makes things only worse. I don't expect him to find any source of inspiration there.

April's Fool arrived early this year, I honestly pinched myself just to make sure it wasn't a dream.

P.S.: I'm giggling internally as I think of all the meltdowns that will surely ensue in this forum...

I really didn't see that coming, hopefully he'll be more inspired than he was at YSL, but I'm really scared...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noorap
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->