Hedi Slimane - Designer

If there's one thing we learned in recent years is that there's no such thing clientele loyalty in brands anymore. People don't give a crap about legacy, history, previous designers... they care about the clothes and buying into the current aesthetic the designer has created. Obviously the women who bought into Céline will not be so into Hedi's tenure, so they will go on to buy another brand, while Hedi will bring a new (and likely larger) clientele. LVMH knows that when a bring star designer you let him do whatever, and it wouldn't feel right to have him tiptoeing around the old Céline.

And it's true that Saint Laurent and Kering must be having nightmares. Vaccarello's entire work there is a poor man's redux of Hedi, from the aesthetic to the clothes, campaigns, shows, castings... everything. Saint Laurent has died down, Hedi will wipe out most of their clientele.

The weekly drops and capsules seems to be taking a page out of Gucci's book.

Gucci is constantly releasing products on a weekly basis it seems and releasing new marketing whether it be for a watch collection, new handbag collection, "dapper dan" capsule, introduction of a new shoe style, etc.

I think we're going to see A LOT of product, especially if they are planning on doubling/tripling revenue.

I actually prefer Vacarello's women's wear because he at least tries to design sometimes.

I also don't think I hardly ever saw Slimane cast anyone that "looked like me" so it was hard for me to support him.

If there's one thing we learned in recent years is that there's no such thing clientele loyalty in brands anymore. People don't give a crap about legacy, history, previous designers... they care about the clothes and buying into the current aesthetic the designer has created. Obviously the women who bought into Céline will not be so into Hedi's tenure, so they will go on to buy another brand, while Hedi will bring a new (and likely larger) clientele. LVMH knows that when a bring star designer you let him do whatever, and it wouldn't feel right to have him tiptoeing around the old Céline.

And it's true that Saint Laurent and Kering must be having nightmares. Vaccarello's entire work there is a poor man's redux of Hedi, from the aesthetic to the clothes, campaigns, shows, castings... everything. Saint Laurent has died down, Hedi will wipe out most of their clientele.

If rappers keep referencing Saint Laurent in the years to come, Vaccarello can still benefit from the hype till end of his contract.

At least that's what i think how Frida Giannini got through her days. Human can be incredibly slow on things as well as the opposite.

Hedi Slimane's Céline Will Borrow a Trick from the Supreme Playbook
This year has seen a never-ending game of musical chairs at some of the biggest fashion houses in the world—Riccardo Tisci to Burberry, Virgil Abloh to Louis Vuitton, Kim Jones to Dior Homme. But the most consequential appointment might be Hedi Slimane to Céline. The former Saint Laurent designer was living every millennial’s dream of basking in the Los Angeles sun free of responsibilities for two years before taking on the new gig (and making the Céline's studio come to him) earlier this year. But we’ve heard basically nothing about what we can expect from the legendary designer—you know, the one who genuinely changed men’s fashion, and completely overhauled Saint Laurent with a rock-and-roll aesthetic that persists years after his departure. Slimane’s rebuild there was so thorough he even changed the historic label’s name, from Yves Saint Laurent to just Saint Laurent Paris. Presumably, he’ll have something similar in mind—and, just like that, today, there’s a report in the Business of Fashion promising another top-to-bottom overhaul from Slimane at Céline.

Of course, we already know Slimane is changing Céline in one critical way—just by adding menswear to the brand, he’s massively warping what was a beloved women’s label under previous designer Phoebe Philo. But he’ll also make another, maybe even larger shift, reportedly adopting the retail strategies of some of the most popular brands in that menswear world. “Slimane plans to adopt a fluid delivery cycle,” writes BoF’s Lauren Sherman, otherwise known as “the drop-style made famous by streetwear brands including Supreme.” Yeah, that’s it: Hedi’s back, and he’s bringing the drop—a strategy of releasing a small portion of a collection every week or so—with him.

When the nerdy menswear historians write about the year 2018, the tens of people reading will note this was the moment when streetwear finally took over the world. Listing out all the examples suddenly takes a while: Supreme is now Menswear Designer of the Year; the LVMH prize is investing in streetwear as fashion’s future, and the conglomerate acquired a stake in a sneaker consignment shop; Abloh was named both Louis Vuitton’s men’s designer and one of Time’s most 100 influential people in the world; and investment firms are pouring money into sneaker reselling apps and brands like A Cold Wall and Huf.

Now, Slimane is bringing streetwear’s release strategy to a storied French luxury house. As Supreme and brands like it have proven, the drop method is a strategic way to maintain hype through a season’s release, rather than burning through it by dumping everything at once. The drop keeps a customer eternally invested, which means Slimane is probably wise to try it out—especially when trying to generate interest for a label with no history of making menswear. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t something deeply strange about a 73-year-old fashion house borrowing tips and tricks from a brand that trades mostly on T-shirts and hoodies.

The shift in release strategy isn’t the only change coming to Céline either. Business of Fashion notes that Slimane doesn’t feel beholden to the minimalist casual luxury vibe created—and beloved among the label’s loyal customers—by former Céline designer Phoebe Philo. If you were into the rockstar look Slimane trotted out at Saint Laurent, chances are you’ll be quite happy with this new version of Céline. “He is doing exactly what he was hired to do, bringing his own vision to the brand,” the BoF report reads. Slimane is said to be cycling through “hundreds of samples” in hopes of distilling them into “perfect versions of classic pieces.” Which means more fussed-over varsities, biker jackets, and cuban-heeled Chelsea boots than Philo’s drapey pants and high-end Birkenstocks.

Slimane’s fingerprints will also be all over Céline’s physical presence. He’s remodeling each and every one of the label’s retail stores—a project that could come at the hefty cost of $1 million to $3 for smaller storefronts, and $6 million to $8 million for bigger ones, according to BoF—and it’s reported Céline is buying up additional, larger properties in Manhattan for a new store. A reasonable move when you consider that, if everything goes according to this plan, in the near future we’ll see young dudes camping outside those stores in hopes of copping the latest drop from Céline.
gq

This type of supply chain is not that groundbreaking anymore even for a storied house though. Clare’s Givenchy has (or was at least going to have, according to the New York Times) monthly drop offs to keep customers engaged. Hopefully it works because it’s quite dynamic and it would probably get customers in stores more often.

^^
Yes it’s really nothing new.
Dries has been doing the same kind of stuff for years. That’s how he can afford to not do resort and prefall.
The same for CDG and even Rick I think.
There’s nothing innovative about this strategy...

I agree about what has been said regarding the stores. I don’t mind Hedi’s taste but his stores are not inviting. It’s part of an aesthetic but not of an experience. It’s very pragmatic, practical and cold....
They are designed to be coherent from cities to cities.

agree with the store, with the cold lighting and those metal hangers, with all the clothes just hanging there closely, no visual merchandising and artistic touch, it makes me think of those cheap wholesale market in China.
It does look kind cool, but as you said, it doesn't help with the experience

Definitely agree with this. Saint Laurent’s stores are very aesthetically pleasing to me but I can see how uninviting, cold and sterile they feel. Gucci and Saint Laurent are right next door to each other here, I’ve been to both and the feeling you get is miles apart.

I don't mind the 'clinical' atmosphere at all, the sleek elegance of his interiors really fit the exacting precision that his clothes convey at their very best. In fact, I do find that Slimane's fashion design at Saint Laurent (and later part of his Dior Homme tenure) was too vintage-y and eclectic to fit the kind of environments he set them in. In fact, I would hope for his Celine work to go back to the clean minimalism of his work in the late 90ies and early 2000s, but I guess that will be wishful thinking...

In fact, I would hope for his Celine work to go back to the clean minimalism of his work in the late 90ies and early 2000s, but I guess that will be wishful thinking...
You and me both.

Wishful thinking, though, I think you're right.

It's really crazy seeing his first few men's collections for Yves Saint Laurent. They were so glamorous and sleek and modern and sexy. If he can return to that kind of more grown up attitude for Celine, I think this could be a very fabulous new chapter for the house that could potentially still offer quite a bit the previous Celine customer might still be interested in. However...if it's more angry teenage girl (and boy) thrift shop clothes...the whole thing will be such a mess.

His 50th birthday party celebration:

Hedi Slimane Had a Very On-Brand Birthday Party in Paris

Don't want to pass too much judgement on his photography here because it's in his personal capacity, but I'm secretly hoping he won't be shooting the campaigns for Céline! We all know his vision can be very....limited at times.

Why is there a topless woman lounging on dirty stairs. When did that become cool. I mean I don’t mind but I am still curious.

^^
If you're familiar with Hedi's photos and environment, you could see that he is not spending his life in the cleanest places.

Hedi will photograph his campaigns like he has always done. He is finally realizing his dream of being he creative director of everything in a brand...
And expect to see him shoot beauty and perfume campaigns too.

I'm looking forward to it. I respect and admire Hedi the same way I respect and admire Ralph Lauren. He deals in iconography, very literal but very well articulated archetypes. That he turned YSL into a one stop shop for all the rock n roll luxury classics anyone could ever want bothered me none. Granted, it took me time to come to this understanding.

Now he's dealing with Celine, a house that has, only through Philo's sure hand and strident vision, became the industry benchmark for modern womenswear classics.

I really hope he doesn't push his rock and vintage obsessions into the foundations Phoebe left behind. I hope he can appreciate the type of intelligent, mature, and ease-loving women Phoebe designed her collections for. I hope he can bring to it his own wardrobe-centric design savvy, his dark and brooding romantics and his love for the vitality of youth.

There was a time when Hedi embraced a more formal and minimal idea of modernism, back during his first stint at YSL and his early years at Dior Homme. I wouldn't mind at all if he could revisit those years for Celine.

^^^ Most anyone who’s over the age of 25, who appreciates the more subtle elegance and disciplined flamboyance of high fashion would like to see Hedi return to his early YSL/Dior Homme years for Celine. That direction would be the thoughtful progression that perfectly compliments where Phoebe left of with her distinct vision. Both woman and men can easily— and effortlessly mix those men’s YSL/Dior Homme designs alongside Celine’s and they wouldn’t look out of place. (And I can easily mix that ideal Celine menswear with OG Helmut.)

But we’re not in an era that favours mature, subtle elegance and disciplined flamboyance. And going by Hedi’s SLP stint, he’s not into it either. I liked his direction for SLP, but I would prefer he didn’t recycle that template for Celine. Hedi-approved easy basics that’s down with the kidz— with the added prestige of the Celine label may just prove too tempting for LVMH not to encourage Hedi to not dust off his SLP-template. It's too simple a cashcow.

I suspect a more practical direction for head’s Celine would be what Nicolas introduced to with Vuitton: a more accessibly design approach to his Balenciaga period. So Hedi may conjure a whiff of those YSL/Dior Homme long-yearned collections, and mix it up with a predominantly indie-rocker uniform aesthetic, and stamped with the Celine luxury signature, and call it a day.

Whatever he ends up with, his return to the spotlight is still a much welcome one, as far as I’m concerned.

I’m happy to see him back even if I have a Love/Hate relationship with Hedi.
I was a big fan of his Dior Homme days and was totally obsessed about his 3 last collections there. He is an incredible menswear designer and at the time, because Karl was very inspired by the clothes he loved at DH, he made us have fantasy about the actual capacities of Hedi. We all thought during the 60’s Rock phase of Chanel : If Karl can interpret Hedi so well in womenswear, imagine what Hedi himself would do...

And then, we all saw what happened at Saint Laurent. We had a bad reject of Decarnin for Balmain (who’s menswear was kinda derivative of Hedi’s last DH collection). We all saw that an incredible menswear designer can be a mediocre stylist. Even more, I was confused by his vision of woman and his actual understanding of the woman’s body. Very sharp design with no sensuality... a sensuality he managed to showcase for men.

Hedi is like Tom, he is a cult designer and that alone is big. But he is a designer who is really influenced by his environment... A bit like Tom in a way.
His YSL and early DH were the days of Paris, sometimes London and Berlin. LA is really what inspires him lately... Ok at DH, he did some wonderful classic collections but still.

Looking at his environment I don’t see him doing something very different from what he left at Saint Laurent. His tailoring and classic pieces part of a permanent collection will be the closest answer we will have to the idea of Celine by Philo.

By adding Couture, he is already challenging the actual DNA of Celine.

If I want to stretch my imagination, I would use the fact that he is celebrating his Birthday at Le Palace as a clue to what his aesthetic could be. And if that’s the case, the answer will be a continuation of La Collection De Paris, his last collection at Saint Laurent.

And to be honest, i’m a bit tired of French designers referencing Le Palace years. Decarnin did it, Vauthier is doing it, Vogue Paris is doing it, Vaccarello is doing it and Hedi has already done that.

If he decide to design and don’t send out on the runway a trench coat worn over a tank top, a pair of Jeans and rain boots I would be happy.

I'm looking forward to it. I respect and admire Hedi the same way I respect and admire Ralph Lauren. He deals in iconography, very literal but very well articulated archetypes. That he turned YSL into a one stop shop for all the rock n roll luxury classics anyone could ever want bothered me none. Granted, it took me time to come to this understanding.

Now he's dealing with Celine, a house that has, only through Philo's sure hand and strident vision, became the industry benchmark for modern womenswear classics.

I really hope he doesn't push his rock and vintage obsessions into the foundations Phoebe left behind. I hope he can appreciate the type of intelligent, mature, and ease-loving women Phoebe designed her collections for. I hope he can bring to it his own wardrobe-centric design savvy, his dark and brooding romantics and his love for the vitality of youth.

There was a time when Hedi embraced a more formal and minimal idea of modernism, back during his first stint at YSL and his early years at Dior Homme. I wouldn't mind at all if he could revisit those years for Celine.

Extremely doubtful, IMO. I'm tempted to say that if it happens, I'll shout I was wrong from the top of the Empire State Building. (What makes me think I won't need a ticket to NY ...)

The "not spending his life in the cleanest places" idea suddenly put me in mind of his rumored penchant for baby food ... isn't there something wrong with those sanitized, germ-free jars in Hedi's world? A half-raw steak seems more appropriate ...

His 50th birthday party celebration:

Hedi Slimane Had a Very On-Brand Birthday Party in Paris

Don't want to pass too much judgement on his photography here because it's in his personal capacity, but I'm secretly hoping he won't be shooting the campaigns for Céline! We all know his vision can be very....limited at times.

I daresay the campaigns are the very least of it! He can shoot the campaigns if he lets the team keep designing the clothes :ninja: They might not be exciting, but at least they'd be wearable.

I daresay the campaigns are the very least of it! He can shoot the campaigns if he lets the team keep designing the clothes :ninja: They might not be exciting, but at least they'd be wearable.

I think most of the design team member will leave or snatched by other brands and Mr. Slimane probably will get his own team

I’m happy to see him back even if I have a Love/Hate relationship with Hedi.
I was a big fan of his Dior Homme days and was totally obsessed about his 3 last collections there. He is an incredible menswear designer and at the time, because Karl was very inspired by the clothes he loved at DH, he made us have fantasy about the actual capacities of Hedi. We all thought during the 60’s Rock phase of Chanel : If Karl can interpret Hedi so well in womenswear, imagine what Hedi himself would do...

And then, we all saw what happened at Saint Laurent. We had a bad reject of Decarnin for Balmain (who’s menswear was kinda derivative of Hedi’s last DH collection). We all saw that an incredible menswear designer can be a mediocre stylist. Even more, I was confused by his vision of woman and his actual understanding of the woman’s body. Very sharp design with no sensuality... a sensuality he managed to showcase for men.

Hedi is like Tom, he is a cult designer and that alone is big. But he is a designer who is really influenced by his environment... A bit like Tom in a way.
His YSL and early DH were the days of Paris, sometimes London and Berlin. LA is really what inspires him lately... Ok at DH, he did some wonderful classic collections but still.

Looking at his environment I don’t see him doing something very different from what he left at Saint Laurent. His tailoring and classic pieces part of a permanent collection will be the closest answer we will have to the idea of Celine by Philo.

By adding Couture, he is already challenging the actual DNA of Celine.

If I want to stretch my imagination, I would use the fact that he is celebrating his Birthday at Le Palace as a clue to what his aesthetic could be. And if that’s the case, the answer will be a continuation of La Collection De Paris, his last collection at Saint Laurent.

And to be honest, i’m a bit tired of French designers referencing Le Palace years. Decarnin did it, Vauthier is doing it, Vogue Paris is doing it, Vaccarello is doing it and Hedi has already done that.

If he decide to design and don’t send out on the runway a trench coat worn over a tank top, a pair of Jeans and rain boots I would be happy.

I have a love/hate reaction to all the designers I admire that are still working these days LOL

None of them are consistently going from strength to strength like they had been int their former glory days of the 90s/2000s. But then again, these days in high fashion are far from glorious. The new leaders are just hyped lessers at best, so I tend to be a little more forgiving to the ones that have proven themselves in the past and are still at it— Tom, Hedi, Dries, Nicolas, Miuccia… They’re adapting to the times, and in Hedi’s and Nicolas’ cases, attempting very well.

But I’m particularly drawn to Hedi and Tom, since it’s not just fashion they excel at: Tom’s cinematic talents are visionary: Watching his two feature films is fashion book inspiring, as is Hedi’s photographic talents. And in that sense, there’s this worldbuilding element to their brands that others can’t compare to. I felt that way about Miuccia at one time, with those cinematic campaigns and moody shows. Nowadays, her campaigns and the shows are hideous to look at and useless in their presentations. I’ve always felt that just fashion alone is so banal— and Prada is just hollow, banal fashion now. That’s not how I feel about Tom and Hedi. There’s still something there with these two.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Forum Statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lt3motorsportz
    Back
    monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
    <-- Admiral -->