Hedi Slimane leaves Dior Homme

Quotes are from today's DNR:

Hmmm Hedi overstepping his bounds? The article goes on to talk that "control rights were a contentious issue, with Slimane determined to nail down even niggling details about brand strategy and business plans." You design the clothes...let the execs deal with the financials.

The headline goes on to mention how they chose Kris becuase he will be "reaching out to a wider audience." Admiting that Hedi became a one trick pony or even caricature of himself?

Michael Macko and Tommy Fazio both blessed him being picked to take over.

His grandmother sits front row at all of his shows. Awww.

i'd love to see slimane do some costume for film. i know he's doing that daft punk short, but can you imagine him doing costumes on a scale like gaultier has done? :buzz:

Or Hedi for A&F, LAMB, or Hedi Slimane for Kris Van Assche. But why have that discussion in this thread? These and other what-if daydreams should have their own thread, or else they only serve as irritating fluffer that have nothing in common with the topic of this thread.

hedi's been slipping lately anyway... btw, what's the big deal about kris van assche??? just because he 'graduated' under the wings of hedi slimane and producing slightly looser fit a la hedi-esque clothing that he's such a big deal? i've yet to find a decent piece of clothing from kva with a good cut and material... everything is just a little 'off' and really, very much tongue-n-cheek...

ETROsexualJ said:
Why do you need to wear "skinny" clothes if you are skinny?
Why would one want to wear huge, heavy clothing, when one is thin? That makes no sense to me. I am all about fitted, tailored to a tee. It is all about being as skinny as possible, thinner clothing suits the look because there is no extra material creating the illusion of weight.

Slimane Opens Up About Dior (interview)

Slimane Opens Up About Dior

by Miles Socha
040307_13.jpg

PARIS — Breaking his silence about splitting from Dior Homme, designer Hedi Slimane said he walked away freely, unwilling to compromise his principles "and the idea I have about fashion."

In fact, Slimane said he first contemplated leaving the plum men's wear post in July, when his contract expired and talks ensued about launching a Dior-backed Hedi Slimane fashion house.

"I tried to make things work for about a year," Slimane wrote in a lengthy text posted on his Web site, hedislimane.com, over the weekend, days after Dior announced he would be replaced by Kris Van Assche. "I always kept in mind the precedence of some designers I admire who were in a similar situation and chose the other path."

It is understood that Slimane was alluding to Helmut Lang and Jil Sander, who sold majority stakes in their fashion houses to Prada Group, only to end up clashing with management over strategy and leaving the design helm of their signature brands. (Prada ultimately sold both companies, and Sander is now designed by Raf Simons; Lang by Michael and Nicole Colovos, the founders of the Habitual label.)
"Right now I feel it is very important to stay true to my principles... I had no other choice than to refuse the kind of proposition that was made and to decline a new Dior Homme contract."
Hedi Slimane
"Perhaps [at] another time in my life, under other circumstances, my name, and the management of a company under my own label would be considered differently," Slimane wrote. "Right now I feel it is very important to stay true to my principles.…I had no other choice than to refuse the kind of proposition that was made and to decline a new Dior Homme contract."

Slimane's assertions fly in the face of Dior's version of events. Sources close to the French house said it was Slimane's "extravagant" demands that ultimately led to the breakup.

Negotiations between the two parties have been protracted and often tense, with control rights among the most contentious issues. Reaching an impasse last June, Dior initiated discussions with Van Assche as a possible successor.

Still, Slimane continued to work for the house and pursue negotiations. A resolution seemed imminent on the eve of the Dior Homme show last January. However, sources said Slimane tabled new proposals concerning salary and control rights, a move that Dior considered unacceptable, ending their six-year collaboration.

As first reported in WWD last week, Dior Homme hired Van Assche, a Slimane alumnus, to take over the design reins for ready-to-wear and accessories. Although he started Monday, it was not clear yet when he will show his first collection for the French house.

In his statement, Slimane did not indicate his future intentions, but kept the door open to a reconciliation with Dior and the luxury group LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton.

"I want to thank [LVMH chairman and chief executive officer] Bernard Arnault, who trusted me with this project," Slimane wrote. "I hope he will understand my position and decision, if not now, then hopefully with some time."

Slimane also thanked his teams, manufacturing partners and retailers, ending his post with a long list of artists, musicians, photographers and filmmakers with whom he collaborated.

The designer gave special mention to his young models, many of them cast from the streets of London and Berlin. "They have been a strong inspiration — if not the only one — and the reason why I designed the clothes," he wrote. "I liked nothing more than seeing them take over the shows and making the clothes their own."

interview by Miles Socha at wwd.com

thanks Lena.......
He should do his own line...........
that would be the best thing for him at this point.

Slimane's assertions fly in the face of Dior's version of events. Sources close to the French house said it was Slimane's "extravagant" demands that ultimately led to the breakup.

isn't that what the suits always try to do...blame the designer? bertelli tried that anecdote with lang and sander....

anyway,i am glad to hear that hedi is staying true to his principles. that's something,in spite of not being the biggest fan,i always respected of him. i hope the money he acquired being DH will allow him to concieve a label of his own namesake....he deserves it. he's been behind somebody else's name for soooo long now he truly deserves to.

Scott said:
isn't that what the suits always try to do...blame the designer? bertelli tried that anecdote with lang and sander....

anyway,i am glad to hear that hedi is staying true to his principles. that's something,in spite of not being the biggest fan,i always respected of him. i hope the money he acquired being DH will allow him to concieve a label of his own namesake....he deserves it. he's been behind somebody else's name for soooo long now he truly deserves to.

Yeah, it's really nice to see someone stick to their principles, especially in a highly competitive industry like fashion design. :ninja:

I think it's sweet that he thanked his models...for whatever reason with Hedi it doesn't even seem a little pedophiliac to me.

i read the statement on his site...and looked at some of the other stuff on there....

it's funny...
he seems more like an artist than a designer...
somehow i don't really feel him jumping back into fashion right away...
he's always got so many other projects going on...

not that i really think that they are all so brilliant...
* that courtney love photo session is bad bad bad...and not just because she isn't a great subject...the pictures just aren't really anything...
but you can feel his impulse to be creative in so many other ways than fashion...

i don't know...
but at least he seems to be in a really good frame of mind..
being out and about in nyc all week during this time really shows a strength of character...
he's not running away to lick any wounds the way tom ford did when that all went down (ford got depressed and hid at his ranch in texas for several months after the gucci split)...

so whatever happens next for hedi-
i am sure he will be just fine...

I really respect him as a designer and a person. I would really like to see him make his own line...

i think he made the right decision.. maybe timing wasnt right..
he made dior homme, even though i am sure everyone agrees that a polo shirt/shirt/teeshirt with a fly or a bee can only be done for so long, it was great after all.
it was the skinny era.
i think its time for a new era for dior homme. its one of those things where i cannot see another designer behind it.
unlike chloe, et al, dior homme WAS hedi and hedi was (or still is) dior homme.
i have more faith in his own label, if he decides to go that direction, than in the future of dior homme..

I don't know why he called it an "interview" when he pretty much copied and pasted statements from Hedi's website...more like an analysis or something

BaroqueRockstar said:
he should do a women's line too:woot:

i always find women who wear dior homme fascinating so that's not a bad idea ... it'd be interesting although i think he needs a break first and sort things out. thanks lena :flower:

well good on him for sticking to what he felt was right
i also wonder how (if at all) extravagant his demands were :blink:
bring on a women's line!

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the shout-out to the models was really nice.
hedi caught a lot of static for how sh*tty his collections got post like 2003....but i always admired how relentless he was to convey his idea on how boys should look....if a bit creepy.
IT WAS ALWAYS ABOUT THE BOYS which, from a design perspective often times left something to be desired, but i think it was pretty tough.

This is kinda ironic. Whenever my friends or others are asking what brand I'm wearing, I kinda hesitate before saying "Dior". Just for the fact that everyone knows or have heard about "Dior", but not Dior Homme, Dior Monsieur before Hedi Slimane, the differences and Slimane himself. So basically they get the impression that I a biiig label-snob (Over here Dior still has that mystic aura to it, whereas DG Mainlabel that used to have that aura is now well known and "accepted"), which I'm not, but how are you going to explain "Dior Homme, What & Whys" in a few words? So I just let them go round thinking that I'm some kind of crazy guy instead.
Looking forward to saying: "Oh this jacket? It's from Hedi Slimane. He's new"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->