Hedi Slimane Portrays Doherty as Poet and Outstanding Performer

fugfashion

Reaction score
Dior Homme designer Hedi Slimane turns from designing to writing. The famous French menswear guru is to publish his new book in July.
Sliman, who claims he always wanted to be a journalist, is making his dream come true by appearing in the French left-leaning daily newspaper, Liberation on May 6, where he will act like a guest editor.
The designer, whose book London: Birth of a Cult, focuses on the current London's rock scene and its kings, hinted the newspaper pages will give insight into the upcoming tribute., reports WWD . Ex-Libertines’ frontman – Pete Doherty, the(ex?)boyfriend of British catwalk beauty Kate Moss, is shown as the leading character.
Slimane has spent more than a year tracking and documenting recent Babyshambles frontman Doherty and describes him as a poet and one of the most important performers of our time.
In July the book is set to be published by Karl Lagerfeld's 7L label.

source : http://www.fashiongates.com :flower:

i want that book ! :woot::heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
hedi slimane must have a crush on pete, because there is no other explaination for describing him as 'one of the most important performers of our time' :rolleyes:

live8 anyone? :doh:

kate and pete look like brother and sister to me, their faces are so similar...

I wouldn't idolize Pete that much, but he is very talented. Sliman must be really into him, since Dior Homme has also been inspired by Pete.

I saw the pics. He did a really good job.

shock.gif
My god! I thought Hedi Slimane was a man of good taste!
sick.gif

It's not just about Pete but about London underground scene...the romantic youth ect... I can understand what he saw in Pete and how he inspired him... It's not tabloids Pete he likes ... but how Pete inspires his fans positively...the poetry ... the dream of Albion ect ...

how can he be one of the most important preformers of our time, hes not even known outside of england/europe.

masquerade said:
how can he be one of the most important preformers of our time, hes not even known outside of england/europe.
I know :lol: he's a bit overrated , but I do love his style^_^

I think Pete is talented but is undoubtedly a weak person. . .

I dont think Pete is a weak person...hes doing what he thinks is right and enjoying himself and that includes his drug habits as well as his music...And i do believe he is one of the most important performer and a poet...Heidi Slimane is a wise man afterall considering hes a crappy designer... Maybe he should just stick to writing.

No I agree he is a weak person but after he is done destroying himself, there will still be this extraordinary legacy of music behind. Just because he is not yet known internationally doesn't mean anything. They love exporting people long after they are through. Most people probably won't know who Edie Sedgewick is till the movie comes out ya know. And I am sorry but quoting one bad performance (Live 8) is redundant. Peter can be electric on stage even when he is falling apart.

Living through the Doherty frenzy feels like living through the Sex Pistols frenzy or the Beatles frenzy or the Britpop frenzy. It is combining rock, fashion, media, the mythology. Every ingredient in the 'make-music-history' recipe is in there. There is simply NO DOUBT that it is artistically and culturally important.

That said, I do agree with Copper that Hedi must have a crush on Peter. Who doesn't? :smile:

FashionFriendly said:
I dont think Pete is a weak person...hes doing what he thinks is right and enjoying himself and that includes his drug habits as well as his music...And i do believe he is one of the most important performer and a poet...Heidi Slimane is a wise man afterall considering hes a crappy designer... Maybe he should just stick to writing.
Don't get me wrong, I like Pete :blush:

for example....who is pete dohetry? apart from the fact that I ve read abt him and Kate Moss going out from tfs, i know absolutely nothin abt him. Never heard any of his music....i wonder how that makes him one of the greatest of our time! bt then again never been a great fan of Mr. Slimane

SiennaInLondon said:
No I agree he is a weak person but after he is done destroying himself, there will still be this extraordinary legacy of music behind. Just because he is not yet known internationally doesn't mean anything. They love exporting people long after they are through. Most people probably won't know who Edie Sedgewick is till the movie comes out ya know. And I am sorry but quoting one bad performance (Live 8) is redundant. Peter can be electric on stage even when he is falling apart.

Living through the Doherty frenzy feels like living through the Sex Pistols frenzy or the Beatles frenzy or the Britpop frenzy. It is combining rock, fashion, media, the mythology. Every ingredient in the 'make-music-history' recipe is in there. There is simply NO DOUBT that it is artistically and culturally important.

That said, I do agree with Copper that Hedi must have a crush on Peter. Who doesn't? :smile:

Oh god. Please do not compare this Pete Doherty circus with the Beatles or the Pistols. To do so you insult them. Doherty has been influential but i believe that the influence he has had on the fashion industry is due to his much publicised romance with the one and only Mossy. Without his relationship with Kate i think he would have been washed up some time ago. He is not an incredible performer. I have seen him with libs and BS and while the libs have a talented charm, BS is a circus whereby Doherty is simply the ringmaster. His performances are sloppy, drug induced and at times completely non existant. There is nothing clever about a band with a frontman who is so off his face on drugs that they do not turn up to gigs and therefore do not respect their fans. Doherty needs to realise that he needs to please his fan base of people who are actually into his music and lyrics, which are at times clever, at others rushed and lazy - rather than those that think that his smacked up arms and face are 'cute'.:flower:

Sounds interesting. Sure Slimane appears a bit too much obsessed with Doherty, but i think modern culture hasnt seen a figure like him for a while. Its fascinating to see how people react to him today, although he seems to have read the romantic rock'n'roll stereotype bible. Personally i find him refreshing in so many ways, and whilst his life may appear to be "wasting" away its his to live.

foxyfantastica said:
Oh god. Please do not compare this Pete Doherty circus with the Beatles or the Pistols. To do so you insult them. Doherty has been influential but i believe that the influence he has had on the fashion industry is due to his much publicised romance with the one and only Mossy. Without his relationship with Kate i think he would have been washed up some time ago. He is not an incredible performer. I have seen him with libs and BS and while the libs have a talented charm, BS is a circus whereby Doherty is simply the ringmaster. His performances are sloppy, drug induced and at times completely non existant. There is nothing clever about a band with a frontman who is so off his face on drugs that they do not turn up to gigs and therefore do not respect their fans. Doherty needs to realise that he needs to please his fan base of people who are actually into his music and lyrics, which are at times clever, at others rushed and lazy - rather than those that think that his smacked up arms and face are 'cute'.:flower:

Hear hear!

Hedi should stick to designing and photographing hehe.

I don't see how this could possibly inspire a generation?
5105_pete_snap.jpg

http://nw.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=76612

He gets publicity because he always kisses and tells about his relationship with Kate. She is so private, which makes him all the more interesting. Somewhat fame-whorish if you ask me :innocent:

masquerade said:

In the same way that America can have a 'World Series' of a sport that only Americans play?

Good for Mr. Slimane.

SiennaInLondon said:

I agree; very well-said! :flower:

Though Pete is living rough at the moment, he is a very talented song writer. People like to slag him off just because there's been an over-bombardment of tabloid media on him recently, but if you listen to his records, specifically his older songs (You're my Waterloo, Anything but Love, Breck Road Lover, etc.) there's no denying that he has talent to back it up.

PrinceOfCats said:
In the same way that America can have a 'World Series' of a sport that only Americans play?

Good for Mr. Slimane.

I loved that (answer) and maybe will want to repeat it so karma for you.:flower:

LOVE Breck Road Lover!!!

Yes his performances can be dire (but never ever charmless) but he is one of those artists you have to put in some effort to understand. It isn't always about the released albums or the shows, it is about the bootlegs, the private sessions ie the Whitechapel Demos... I honestly believe that the hardest things are the most rewarding in life and effort pays dividends. Pop music is so easy but there you can't get anything from it.

foxyfantastica said:
Oh god. Please do not compare this Pete Doherty circus with the Beatles or the Pistols. To do so you insult them.

Do you really doubt then, that people wouldn't have said the same thing about the Pistols once upon a time?

foxyfantastica said:
There is nothing clever about a band with a frontman who is so off his face on drugs that they do not turn up to gigs and therefore do not respect their fans.

There is nothing clever about drugs full stop but one aspect of someone's life does not always affect all other aspects. Behind stupid when it comes to drugs does not make him musically incompetant. I really can't see the link

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerry Galea
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->