help for school fashion show!

DENiSSA

Reaction score
sorry if im posting it in the wrong place but i idn't know where else to..but ok, my school has a fashion show every year and since im in fashion i have to come up with ideas for my garment. Our theme is "the past and modernism" meaning something from the 1930's to as far back as the 1700's or more but then tweeking it up a bit so we can wear it today and modernism meaning something that people would wear in 2050 and nothing present.

i was thinking of doing something in the historical fashion era where i would make a flapper style dress from the 20's but my idea was taken, so i was thinking of doing maybe a victorian type of dress or maybe a marie antoinette inspired dress minus the poofy-ness of it all. i'm really in a mind block right now so if you guys have any ideas..thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow. Yours is a lot more labor intensive than the one I did for my show. Do you go to an art school?

For the show I did at my school I just pulled some strings and had a few boutiques provide designer (Gucci, Versace, etc) clothes for us. It was a huge success.

Do you plan on actually making this dress from scratch. What you could always do is make something old new. Take a bunch of old pieces and work them in a fresh way say with a very trendy bag. Fashion always works in cycles. If you could get some 60's pieces that would be very nice, plus that 60's makeup too, like...I forgot her name, the one Lagerfeld copied for F/W 05 Chanel RTW...

um i dont go to an art school it's more of a technical school, and we do make our dresses from scratch but with the help of patterns because we don't make our own. last year it was hollywood glamour and my class had to recreate what a celebrity in the music industry wore and i made a replica of a dress mandy moore wore in her music video, later on i'll post some pictures of our previous shows, but yeah.

i just need ideas, like just now i thought of maybe going back as far as the greek goddesses and maybe find some inspiration there or from those old gypsies. but then again i thought of the element of wind for modernism where i would make a dress of different shades of blue with taffeta and silk charmeuse, inspired by what a barbie wore, but ahh i still don't know

a cool idea to mix both up would be doing a very victorian dress in a really modern fabric, or metallic

that's cool..time's running out and im still having a mind block..i got the ideas all wrong..we have to find an inspirational object and use that as an influence in your design for a historical dress turned modern

for ex. my friend found a pic of a flamingo and is making a dress that is short in the front with a train on the back with pink feathers and hot pink fabric [kind of like my dress i did last year] but yeah

I would be tempted to make a Victorian-inspired dress I could actually wear ... have you checked out the new Gothic thread? You might find some interesting ideas there ... You might also like the Fairy tale thread ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionblogger30000
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->