Updating a classic wardrobe

dollygirl

Reaction score
I am in my mid-thirties and have built up a wardrobe with most basics. For example I have skinny/straight jeans in indigo and black, black pants, black skirt, white shirt, plain t shirts and plain fine knit sweaters, good winter coats etc.

My problem is that I feel like a plain jane all the time. Obviously I need some help accessorising or updating the basic look to be "edgier" and more "on trend". I own lots of scarves (both knitted and silk) and I wear these a lot in winter. I have a couple of nice handbags but they too are quite classic. I feel that the way I dress doesn't reflect my inner fashionista!

Do you have any suggestions for accessory additions to my boring wardrobe? TIA

thanks for posting :flower:. i dont recall anyone posing this question before!

what about shoes? are you shoes more classic styles as well?
can you compensate with makeup?

My makeup is pretty classic as well. I do experiment with different eyeshadow colours, but nothing outrageous.

I think shoes are part of my problem. I generally wear ballet flats in summer and boots in winter. Perhaps I should buy some more distinctive, trendier shoes.

My jewellery is also pretty boring. I have the items that I never take off (wedding rings, initial pendant, diamond studs), but I don't add much costume jewellery on a day to day basis.

thanks for your reply

you know you mention a lot of black and white colours... many what your lacking is a "spice," patterns, fun flirty wild colours!! at least thats how i feel haha

i don't really do colours and i'm in the process of updating my wardrobe too.

i am usually in black, grey, cream, ivory, tan, brown, white and blue.

however i'm not updating my wardrobe color palette but the pieces themselves. i'm aiming for a closetful of nothing but my favourite pieces. so no more buying cheap trendy clothes. well not as much anyway.

i'm starting to buy one or two outfits per season. so long as they wow me, i'm getting! most of my clothes are cheap and i was calculating all the cheapies, i could've bought some chanel, marni pieces. of course there are some cheapies i love to death but those are few and far between.

i've started accessorising more these days too. it does add interest to an outfit. again i stress quality. there are some really good stuff that i bought very cheap but the ones that make a difference are the ones i splurged on.

luckily i've been building my shoe collection for years. really nice pair of shoes can really spice up an outfit and make you feel stylish and sexy too.

The first thing that popped in my mind was colour, like mentioned before. Not many, maybe just one major colour you feel comfortable wearing to shake things up. You could choose a bold colour like red or go for something more subtle (i always love dusty pink or army green with neutrals on women :heart:).

You could also go with one statement piece that's on trend now, maybe a jacket since you could throw it over everything. You could look for things with more adventurous shapes; low crotch pants, strong shoulder blazers, oversized tops, ect. That way you can keep classic colours but go on trend with the shape, or you could go with classic shape but trendier colours. Those are the two ways to go I think :flower:.

I think in the end it's about daring to wear what you like and feel comfortable in.

You say you want to reflect you inner fashionista but what do you like in terms of fashion? What appeals to you ? Romantic/boho, vintage/retro style, preppy, etc. ?

I think it's important at first to define that.

Last edited by a moderator:
dollygirl, have you thought about incorporating more leather pieces into your wardrobe?

a leather pencil skirt and a leather biker jacket might be all it takes to get your out of the doldrums.

I agree with lucy...
the whole attitude of an outfit starts with the shoes...
maybe you could still do ballet flats, but maybe they have little studs or some interest to them rather than just being plain...?

it could be as simple as just a crackle patent leather ballet flat as well...

and don't forget that TEXTURE always adds interest...
you don't need to go all crazy with the colours...
ie- a crinkly shiny silvery/light grey scarf will bring lightness and brightness to an otherwise simple look..

i would say the best things to start playing with are fun shoes, necklaces, bracelets!!, cute jackets, and one GREAT bag...

i also feel that if you add grey instead of white to almost any outfit, it just looks way cooler...
ie- grey tank top, grey T shirt, grey cardi, grey scarf, grey suede flats...etc...

shop a lot..but don't buy right away...
try things on...talk to strangers...
ask the other people around you what they think...
some other shoppers may have great style and offer some interesting suggestions...

most of all...
have fun and choose things that still make you feel comfortable and good when you wear them...
:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
this is a good shoe - imo...
still sort of a classic ballet flat but in the light suede it's modern, and the open toe makes it more interesting...

saksfifthavenue.com

Attachments

• img-thing.jpg
    img-thing.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 183
I agree with thinking about what you actually like and feel comfortable with to figure out what to add.

Thanks for all the advice. There are some fantastic ideas above like colour, shape, interesting detail, texture and statement accessories.

I agree with everyone about color and texture. You don't have to leave your personal style completely behind in order to spice it up a bit. For colorful ballet flats, I would suggest Repetto:
http://www.repetto.com/prodlist.php?lang=en&CAT_ID=1&SUB_CAT_ID=37
They also have amazing heels that would look great with neutrals this season. A colorful bag might be a good idea too. Tano has some great bags and they're not terribly expensive. http://www.tanobag.com/

dollygirl, by your description it sounds as if we are more or less wardrobe twins! I love my classic pieces, and see them as a canvas, using accessories to add style and chic. It is great that you own scarves already, they are so versatile and fun to use. Hope you'll find the ideas below useful, good luck!

Twilly in a tie knot
Photo22.jpg

Carre tied in a single knot, secured with a scarf ring (pull both ends through the ring, and push the ring upwards)
DSC00043_3.jpg

Cotton scarf tied into a tie knot
Photo12.jpg

Silk scarf folded into a long strip, placed around the neck and secured with a double knot
sf.jpg

Cowboy knot (fold scarf into a triangle, place around your neck 'bib' style, bring ends to front and secure with a double knot)
cb.jpg

Cowboy knot with a small scarf, ends secured behind the neck
DSC00133.jpg

Mai Tai, that was a great post w/ the scarves.:smile:

Most of it has been said, & here are my two cents:
In future, even when shopping for basics, go for structurally and texturally avant-garde basics. You can still wear basic black pants or a black dress, but if you select those at--just off the top of my head--Yohji or Zucca or Ann D. or even at Lanvin you'll be able to look classic and "appropriate" but not boring because the clothes are cut differently.

Also, hair is extremely important!!
You can go instantly from classic to edgy with just a different hairstyle, lips & nails.

This is a really interesting question, and lots of great advice given!

It is amazing the difference that a jacket, shoes, bag, and jewelry can make on a plain base of, say, black straight leg jeans and a white t-shirt. You mentioned that you wanted to look edgier ... now my style is far from edgy, but I would think adding some kind of Rick Owens leather jacket or maybe a very clean and sharp lined blazer with a wedge bootie could give that effect. I, on the other hand, would probably add a boxy cropped jacket, a gauzy scarf, cross body slouchy bag, and ballet flats, to take the same base to my style. I think you can add a few key items to your wardrobe to move your style in a certain direction.

That said, I completely agree with what Melisande says above. Once you figure out where you want to take your style, you should also adjust how you buy your basics from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugsrat
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"