High School Students, How to Prepare For Fashion School

I'll be taking a Design Management summer program at Parsons NY this June. The Fashion Design program was booked so I thought I'd take this one which seems interesting.
Anyone know what its like taking a summer program at Parsons or any other design school?

Oh my goodness this information has been so informative and helpful. I cannot thank you enough Pastry. The only problem for me (although I am in 12th grade) I will be taking extra credits next semester so I wont be heading to Parsons (my dream Uni) next year. I go to a really really poor school in terms of academic choices. They pretty much ONLY have the basics. Do I have enough time to go to fashion illustration classes and what not (as I don't know how to sew yet though I have a sewing machine in my bedroom - ugh).

Do I have time and should I be worried? ahhhhhhhh. stressing.

Also do you think it would be a good idea to go to the school of design and technology or any of this sort HERE in Toronto (like an intro class) if I can't get into Parsons - in other terms - while I'm waiting for Parsons to have a spot for me?

^ i'm not sure..will it be of any benefit in the long run? it's just more money, and if it doesn't help you get into parsons, then......but i suppose if you're going to parson, money's not an issue for you..

Well, money is an issue unfortunately. I have been working and saving since I was 12 for University and I have enough to fully cover about two years there so I can't afford to waste it. I was just thinking... well I guess you know, extra experience will impress?

Any ideas how to get more background on sewing and learning to construct garments? My High School doesnt offer classes on fashion design

^ I too want to know about that, im a starter, and so far..not a good start. Today I left a sewing needle on the floor and it got stuck in my foot. It really hurt :doh:

quote from Pastry:

i am in my final year of high school, and thus far i've taken fashion for the last to years...what i learned were basic sewing skills (how to make a tote bag, pajama pants, hooded sweater, darts, pleats, gathers, hems, etc..) this is very very helpful and crucial if you'd like to pursue fashion in post secondary education...friends and profs from university stress this very much, those who do not know how to sew are going to either flunk out or get kicked out...i pursue more complex projects on my own: beading and more complicated patterns...

>other helpful things to know are about manufacturing and production. what is CAD, what's grading, types of weaves, etc., etc.

your illustration skills should be mature, know the difference between natural (8 heads) and 'illustration' (10 heads) proprtions..my fashion course taught me nothing about this, in this aspect i'm self taught...

I'm exactly the same way... I'm a senior and I take sewing at my high school, so I know all about making darts, pleats, etc.... I'm currently working on my prom dress ^_^ i also do beading and that kind of stuff on my own. However i've never taken any kind of class on fashion illustration - I took general drawing classes when I was younger, but when it come to drawing fashion figures I really just taught myself.

Avant Garde said:
Any ideas how to get more background on sewing and learning to construct garments? My High School doesnt offer classes on fashion design

Are you in America? I don't know in other countries, but some community colleges let you take certain courses, have summer classes, or ROP (which is outside classes that can count for your highschool credits). If there isn't any of those and your desperate, ask around about any how to classes. Some seamstresses still take on teaching other people and maybe theres one in your area that does. Worse comes to worse, ask peoples grannies or mothers to teach you what they know since every little bit helps.

I want to be a fashion designer and I need your help!

Hi! I just joined this website, and seeing so many professionals is intimidating but also exciting. I'm 15, and I want to be a fashion designer. I've read books on fashion illustration, I'm a fashion fanatic, and I want to be big a big name some day.
The only problem: I don't know how to get there. I'm taking a fashion design course and sewing course next year in grade 11, and I'm Canadian, so I hope to go to LaSalle College in Montreal which is said to be the best fashion school in Canada. I'm smart, and I'm definitely determined to reach this ultimate goal.
I need all the advice you can give, please help me out!

P.S: my name is Erika, and my username is what I'm thinking to be my label... its a hybrid of my middle name (Sylvia) and my first name. What do you think? It would be pronounced Air-ill-eye-ah

Sephora_Socialite said:
Are you in America? I don't know in other countries, but some community colleges let you take certain courses, have summer classes, or ROP (which is outside classes that can count for your highschool credits). If there isn't any of those and your desperate, ask around about any how to classes. Some seamstresses still take on teaching other people and maybe theres one in your area that does. Worse comes to worse, ask peoples grannies or mothers to teach you what they know since every little bit helps.

I am in America, and thanks for the advice. :woot:

JR1, ouch! that sounds painful :doh:

Wow! Good for you planning your future so early! It looks like you are already on to a great start! Good luck! I believe as long as you have determination and passion you can suceed at anything in life and it seems like you do!

ayy carumba i'm so confused about what I want to do in the future..it gets like this every spring when I have to do course selections for next years classes. I want to do business, but I love art and would love to do fashionn. I really want to take painting classes this summer, acting lessons, and have my mom teach me to sew, and to continue doing fashion sketches..but I don't know if I should take marketing or fashion design next year!! schedulinggg is the most annoying thing that high schools have ever invented! I guess I'm kind of thinking of taking marketing..but finding somewhere to take painting/fashion classes outside of school..and we'll see if I like acting. I'm trying to try out different things to fulfill my artistic side, and I've never really done that much acting or painting..2 things that I would love to do!

Erylia- heyy I'm 16, just about the same age as you, and I just wanted to say you seem so excited and really determined to get where you want, which is so awesome!! I think the people who are most successful in life are those with drive and ambition, who are willing to be risky, and know where they're going in life!! The name you chose for your label is really cool, sounds sorta like Alaia (Azzedine), but not too too close, so it's still cool! have funn and work hard! :flower:

p.s. my bro goes to univ. in montreal (although we're american)..love it there! maybe I'll check out that school the next time we go to visit!

Are there any classes you have to take before you can take AP Art History? I know it may be different for every school, but I'm on spring break so I can't really ask until after this week; and I want a quick answer! :blush:

Erylia said:
Hi! I just joined this website, and seeing so many professionals is intimidating but also exciting. I'm 15, and I want to be a fashion designer. I've read books on fashion illustration, I'm a fashion fanatic, and I want to be big a big name some day.
The only problem: I don't know how to get there. I'm taking a fashion design course and sewing course next year in grade 11, and I'm Canadian, so I hope to go to LaSalle College in Montreal which is said to be the best fashion school in Canada. I'm smart, and I'm definitely determined to reach this ultimate goal.
I need all the advice you can give, please help me out!

P.S: my name is Erika, and my username is what I'm thinking to be my label... its a hybrid of my middle name (Sylvia) and my first name. What do you think? It would be pronounced Air-ill-eye-ah

those are BIG aspirations..my little piece of advice is to not look that much ahead into the future...we're all still young, you'd be surprised by how many people realize they're doing the completely wrong thing when they're in their 20's....people change....

...and like i said, make sure you're in it because you're passionate, not because you want to be famous...

^ so so true. Yes, I'm only a teenager still, but I 've been a competitive figure skater for as long as I can remember, and I've decided that thats noto really what I want anymore..and I've spent so many hrs in a cold lonely ice rink and spent so many dollars, but I realized there's more to life than landing a triple toe loop!

oh yeah i totally agree.. I don't care if i end up barely able to pay the rent... I'd be doing what I love. but, you know, its good to have an ultimate goal

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->