Highlights of S/S 08

I really can't think of any highlights. I can't even really remember some of the collections that I've looked at and even some of my favorite designers are forgettable for s/s 08. All fashion weeks have just been a total disappointment.

Hmmm...S/S 08 is mostly "lowlights" for me, actually. F/W 06 was when I first was really into fashion, and everything seemed to click that season. NY, Milan, and Paris all seemed to be on the same page. Then S/S 07 came along and divided trends into two camps: romantic and futuristic. F/W 07 sucks. There's no direction to speak of this season. There's somber stuff, there's wild stuff, there's a lot of really ugly stuff. And now S/S 08 has a few moods I can think of, so I'll arrange my topics using those, because my NY/Milan/Paris breakdown would look kind of Paris-centric.

Airy/Light
According to my hazy memory, Threeasfour and Chloé were almost identical. And not in a bad way. The dresses all were very ethereal, and after a season of really lackluster gowns, this is really nice. Jil Sander, however, looks very fresh, but airy in a stark kind of way...if that makes sense.

Rehab
Marc Jacobs and Louis Vuitton. I just don't know. I like the colors, the bags, the...actually that's about it. The clothes aren't bad, but I still don't see how wearable his deconstruction/gimmicks really are. Viktor & Rolf was just bad, though. No redeeming qualities there.

Valentino-esque
Galliano was awful at Dior, way too boring. Valentino was great, just not so great as a finale, let's hope the couture is better. Lanvin was amazing. Classic, but with enough "umph" to make it fresh. Fendi was okay, but nowhere near as great as it was in the past.

Romantic/Bohemian
My favorite mood of the season. Dolce & Gabbana looked really nice for the most part, much classier than usual. I must have been one of the very few to like anything in Christopher Kane's show. Though, to be fair, I only liked a few pieces, so I still don't believe he's a good designer. Giles was especially good, so young, so romantic, yet still dark. Alberta Ferretti was nice and feminine and sweet, which was surpisingly a rarity this season. Vera Wang again showed a predictable, but lovely collection. Balmain and Nina Ricci are both stand-outs this season. The hippie-boho-goth look is wonderful.

Confused

I just don't know how to put the ugliness of Prada and Miu Miu into words. Yves Saint Laurent left me cold after the high of new clothes wore off. I don't even know if I had the patience to look through Alexander McQueen's collection. I like the hats. That's about it. Balenciaga was great, but exhausting. Ghesquiere could have probably worked a couple different ideas into that show, couldn't he?

i loovveed viktor and rolf.

i hated chloe. i usually love chloe, but it was sooo uncharacteristic!!

For your viewing displeasure, here's my bottom five looks to complement my list:
00340m.jpg

Balenciaga
00270m.jpg

Burberry Prorsum
00010m.jpg

Gareth Pugh
00080m.jpg

Miu Miu
00160m.jpg

Prada

style.com

I'll try to be a bit more specific, since my last post was basically expressing my love of the Galliano show!

Loved
John Galliano: Sure he didn't break fashion ground, but to me, that isn't half as important as putting on a good show, because no matter how new your clothes are, if it's a boring show, no one will ever care. It was so full of life, laughter, beauty and kookiness, and I loved every ounce of it, hair, make up, set, clothes, music and all!
Balenciaga: I just really responded to this collection. I think the combo of the short, super constructed mini dresses/ skirts in floral prints with the black and white gladiator boots was really chic. I didn't really like the last couple of solid looks with pants, but I loved all the florals. And I loved the Vivaldi played during the show, which was really chic.
Lacroix: Just an overall chic collection. Colorful and playful, yet feminine and modern. I liked the high-tech French provincial look that this collection had, I especially liked the hats!
Jean Paul Gaultier: Another fun show amongst a season of downers. Sure it was nothing new for Gaultier or fashion in general, but it was just a fun show full of humor and sexiness!
Hermes: I love India. This collection was just really chic, womanly and sexy. I especially loved the dress on Gemma!
Rodarte: Best show of New York, enough said. Plus, the shoes are the fiercest shoes I've ever seen!
Ralph Lauren: Really good show, colorful and some really beautiful clothes! Loved the Ascott horse racing theme, very Ralph! But the BEST Ralph!

Disappointed
Alexander McQueen: This was Philip Treacey's show, it wasn't McQueens. The clothes were all just so average and some were really vulgar and garish. It was the most disappointing show of the season in my opinion because I always expect to be so impressed by McQueen.
Dior: BORING BORING BORING BORING!!!! At least Galliano made up for it in his own show.

Haven't formed an opinion yet
Louis Vuitton: Loved the nurses, but I don't know about the rest
Nina Ricci: Liked some of it, don't know about some of the day wear, and the styling was weird
Lanvin: A lot of it was beautiful, but I don't think it's as great as everyone is making it sound.
YSL
Chanel

Hated
Everything else, especially Prada and Miu Miu, Miuccia's shows this season were the equivalent of how I feel towards Masha T....utter repulsion.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Lanvin
2. Mcqueen
3. Jil Sander
4. John Galliano
5. Marios Schwab

In-the-running: Balenciaga, Vera Wang.

The verdict: NY was a bit stronger and more memorable this season. London has redeemed itself with new blood. Milan didn't surprise--one should have expected almost anything that came out. Paris had it's disappointments, half that were good last season were a let down this time around. The winners this season were consistent designers extending their run from FW07.

Last edited by a moderator:
YAY
Lanvin
Galliano
YSL
Calvin Klein
Dries Van Noten

NAY
Balenciaga
Dior
Chloe
Dsquared
Dolce Gabbana/DG

which SS 2008 collection was the best?

i am really confused by all SS 2008 collection....they were nice but none of the deisgners made me look at their collection twice and actually i was hitting the "next picture" bottom as fast as i could

please let me know which one is worth to look at again and properlyB)

thank you

I don't really get this... but here are my fav :

Jil Sander
YSL
Valentino
CDG
Tao
Lanvin
Oscar de la Renta
McQueen
Bruno Pieters
Dries VN
Margiela
Jenni Kayne
Marni
Chloé
Marios Schwab
Tse
Ohne Titel
and maybe more that I don't remember about...
but you'll find different "styles" in this list...

i mean...i was not amazed / suprised by any collection so far....like
i was bored by looking at them B) and there was not definitely any WOW,

thank you for the tips....:flower:

My favorite was Versace, that´s for sure but i liked also:
Dolce
Cavalli
Gucci
Valentino
Stella Mccartney

yep, cavalli was ok, ...a remember now that prada came with those long ugly print jump suits:wink:now i see that they are at least different and funny:lol:and therefore interesting

even DvNoten has a lot of prints...maybe a trend

Marni has a similar collection like Prada the other year and i would call some designs Prada's not Marnis. They are soooo alike

Valentino
Alexander McQueen
John Galliano
Chloe
Gucci

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back