Hope Sandoval / Mazzy Star

I've always thought that she should make a duet with mark lanegan..talk about sexy!!:brows:

I've always thought that she should make a duet with mark lanegan..talk about sexy!!:brows:

That's a brilliant idea. I'd like to see her do another track with the Jesus and Mary Chain...that track makes me shiver it's so incredible.

:heart:

Mazzy Star Crooner Readies Return
With Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions

28972879-28972884-slarge.jpg

In 1993, Mazzy Star’s Hope Sandoval released the dream-pop gem “Fade Into You,” a dusty, lilting ballad that served as the soundtrack to make-out sessions for Converse-clad alterna-dorks everywhere. The notoriously reclusive Californian hasn’t cracked the mainstream since, opting to release a few records here and there with various projects.

But there’s good news: Sandoval is back. With her band Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions (which features My Bloody Valentine drummer Colm Ó Cíosóig), Sandoval is gearing up to release her second record since the act’s 2001 debut Bavarian Fruit Bread. The new disc Through the Devil Softly — out September 15th — is a lovely, 11-track collection of narcotic, folk tunes centered by Sandoval’s breathy, irresistible seductive croon. So what took so long? “I don’t really notice the time,” says Sandoval coyly. “We don’t keep track of the days and months. And the years.”

Sandoval and Ó Cíosóig cut the disc with their crack band over the last few years in Northern California and the countryside of Wicklow County, Ireland, which no doubt helped imbue tunes like the winsome “Wild Roses” with a loose, pastoral vibe. “It was really nice to go there,” says Ó Cíosóig. “It’s pretty remote. There was nothing but cows next door, a lake and a little pub down the road.”

Highlights from the record include the haunting, blues-esque opener “Blanchard” and the spare piano-and-acoustic-guitar ballad “Bluebird,” where Sandoval’s heavily echoed vocals come up so close, it’s as if she’s whispering in your ear. “Is that the devil in your sky?” she asks. “Is that what’s glowing in your eyes?”

Sandoval is notoriously terrified about performing in public. But she’s willing to hit the road with her band for some intimate club shows this fall (dates will be announced in the coming weeks). “I enjoy singing with a band playing behind me,” she says, “it’s just that the audience is nerve wracking — even if it’s just 400 or 500 people.”

As for Mazzy Star, Sandoval confirms her and her bandmate David Roback haven’t called it quits and they are still working on their anticipated fourth album. But she declines to give many specifics. “It’s true we’re still together,” she says. “We’re almost finished [with the record]. But I have no idea what that means.”

-Kevin O'Donnell

Source: Rollingstone.com

she's supposed to be contributing on massive attack's upcoming album...should be very lovely!!

Nice seeing you here, Filipe :-P

I like them too!
Recently converted fan :angel:
thanks to cryingdiamonds

It's not melancholy to me at all though :D Very nice music, and sweet voice

I adore her short 'couldnt-give-a-toss' answers and responses, and that she has a fear of performing publicly is endearing and charming. She never speaks to the audience during shows. :crush:

Anyhow, Mary-Anne, thank you for posting the interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to search for a thread on Hope on a whim... and here one is !

I just got her new album last night, can't wait to listen to it...

:wub:

:heart: i hope you will like it saturnine

so far, Blue Bird & Fall Aside are my favourite songs (/obsessions)

really enchanting songs..

:wub:

Got the CD as well :heart:

Blue Bird is definitely the best in my opinion :wub: Adore much as well Sets the Blaze, Trouble & Satellite(the beach sound in this one is so good and makes a great addiction to the song)

The whole CD is very good.

i listened to her new cd while at work the other day and it was just too mellow for me...
made me want to crawl under my desk and go to sleep...
though it also might have been on a friday :P

No secrets... but good news: Mazzy Star are making a new album!! :woot:

Mazzy Star to release new album in 2012

The dreampop duo also have plans to play a number of live shows next year
MazzyStarPR271011.jpg

Photo: Press

Mazzy Star have revealed that they will be releasing an album of new material and also touring in 2012.

Following the recent release of their AA-side comeback single, the Californian band, made up of Hope Sandoval and David Roback, will perform a host of live shows early next year before releasing what will be their fourth album. No official release date for the record has been announced.

The duo released their new single ‘Common Burn’/‘Lay Myself Down’ at the beginning of this week (October 31).

Mazzy Star put out their debut album, ‘She Hangs Brightly’ in 1990, following it with ‘So Tonight That I Might See’ in 1993, which contained the single ‘Fade Into You’. They released their last album, ‘Among My Swan’, 15 years ago in 1996.

Hope Sandoval has released two albums as Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions – 2001’s ‘Bavarian Fruit Bread’ and 2009’s ‘Through The Devil Softly’. She played the Matt Groening-curated edition of All Tomorrow’s Parties in Minehead last year.

source: NME.com

How exciting is that...:wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
oh my....they've picked right back up where they left off.....simply sublime.

and i thought we'd never hear them doing music as MS anymore. they overtook portishead for length between albums.

oh my....they've picked right back up where they left off.....simply sublime.

and i thought we'd never hear them doing music as MS anymore. they overtook portishead for length between albums.

But not My Bloody Valentine!

new mazzy star album coming out in september!!! and they released a first official single yesterday-

17 years! it's hard to believe but they certainly don't seem to have lost their knack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->