How do I find 'my' style?

sarah_27

Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment. I don't have a lot of money to spend on clothes but when I do I seem to be buying the wrong things. I go off clothes really quickly so I end up with 'fad' items that are only worn for a couple of months. I like to think I'm trendy but I hate going along with the crowd. I think I buy too many different colours but I'm really pale so I like to try and add colour to brighten myself up. Does anyone have any ideas?

experiment! also keep a notepad of the things you do like, like a certain patern, stripes or colors. be aware of what looks best on your body. cut out tons of pictures of outfits you like from magazines and buy the things you cut out more than once. and if everything else fails pick a few style icons and mesh all of their styles together.

Experiment.

Visit car boot sales, vintage shops, and charity/thift stores. Mix and match. Mix old with new. Don't be afraid to wear something different. When you look in the mirror and see yourself and like what you see, then you know you've got the right outfit.

i'm gonna say the same, experiment.
it's the best part. i found myself changing style from time to time. and the transition to one style to the other is a bit odd, but it's what's gonna help you find what you feel comfortable with and you look your best.

what tangiblelove said is a really smart idea. i'm gonna do that myself too. it's a fun way to discover and try new looks.

I'm not sure if that has been mentioned, but one of the most important things is that your clothes complement your personality. Obviously this is a general and basic suggestion, but one of great importance. If you are an outgoing, social person, then you're probably going to feel better in bright, "showy" kind of clothes. However, if you are more introverted, it would be advisable to avoid bright colours, since they will bring attention to you. If you are not one to socialize a whole lot, it's probably going to be better to wear clothes that won't bring attention to you a whole lot. Often times a minimalist, understated style works especially well for people who are just quiet in general. It takes a person with a lot of confidence to wear Cavalli, for example. Bottom line: wear clothes that are a reflection and reinforcement of your personality and general mood.

This might sound obvious, but I think you should only buy things you love (or at least, really like). If you see something that you really like, but aren't sure if it's "you," buy it and make it your own. Don't worry about whether or not it's trendy. If it is and you love it, then buy it. Don't buy into a trend just because you think you should.

Don't be afraid to take a chance, but make sure you actually like an item before you buy b/c if you don't then you'll never feel comfortable in it. Also, I agree with all of the others when they say to experiment.

i think inspiration is important - go through magazines, books, tfs threads just to get ideas - i do this when i'm in a rut

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I already have an 'inspiration' file both on my pc and in a 'real life' folder but I never seem to get around to buying similar items. I think I get seduced by trends in shops so I'll have to think about what I want to buy beforehand and stick to it!

I basically am still searching for my own style but I'm definitely on the right track because I've been feeling more confident with myself.
How I achieved it is like this: I have huge picture folders on my computer, divided into street style, celebrity style, etc. and I basically go through tFS/lj communities and so on and save all the 'looks' that I like the most. I obviously also go through magazines and cut out any inspirational pictures and make a lookbook type of thing. In a couple of months I already had quite a collection, and I just went back, looked through all the pictures before going out shopping and had a much clearer view on what I like. :flower:

twilight fairy said:
I basically am still searching for my own style but I'm definitely on the right track because I've been feeling more confident with myself.
How I achieved it is like this: I have huge picture folders on my computer, divided into street style, celebrity style, etc. and I basically go through tFS/lj communities and so on and save all the 'looks' that I like the most. I obviously also go through magazines and cut out any inspirational pictures and make a lookbook type of thing. In a couple of months I already had quite a collection, and I just went back, looked through all the pictures before going out shopping and had a much clearer view on what I like. :flower:

Wow, that is a great idea !!!!
I'm def. trying to do that.
THANKS !!! :woot: Karma 4 you

I think to find out what ur style is.. u've got to see what clothes u feel most comfy in. If you're comfy in jeans and a tee... then that's prolly ur style. If u like dressing up in frilly skirts and lace and floral dresses and feel comfy in them.. that ur the girl-feminine type. I always think that people shouldn't follow trends all the time if they don't feel good in them cuz confidence is the best way to go. =)

twilight fairy said:
Ohh I do that as well. :heart:
I have a inspiration map, with folders such as streetstyle, trendspotting, celebrity style, editorials, models street style, wish lists, own clothe, random pics I save from tfs etc.
And I love making collages...
I have made a Lookbook as well, buy cutting out pictures I like from magazines...

As you can see a lookbook can be made like this.

[scanned by me, own lookbook...]

Last edited by a moderator:
^^Great idea, Tinetush!

I keep it all in my head...but that's just me. I have a 'sticky memory' (is that even an English saying? Well, I mean the equivalent of 'en klæberhjerne').

^:lol:
haha well somethimes that works for me as well.
Nevertheless I do like looking at all the pics :wub:

That's such a cute lookbook Tinetush! I agree, this is the best way to find your style. I have it in my head too but it's not the same...you just notice different things each time you look at it right there infront of you. I just have bulging folders full of scraps...divided into clothes, interiors, accessories, patterns&colors, etc. I would love to make a lookbook but I'm afraid of the sheer amount...:blink:

I keep a bulletin board for the season I'm working on (one of the ones criss-crossed with ribbon) that includes both inspiration and actual items I've ordered or want to buy ...

sarah, just wear what you feel like wearing and add lots of humour in your looks, dont worry too much, personal style is not something one should even think about..
just do it and have fun :P

When I want to buy something I usually draw up a few pages in my croqui book based on the item. Using existing pieces in my wardrobe I think up as many outfits as I can incorporating the piece I want to buy, if I can do 6 croquis I'll usually buy it. If you "can't draw" it doesn't really matter, you can get the basic idea of the outfit by following the fashion template! :flower: As for developing your own personal style, I think whatever you like defines your own personal style whether it happens to be trendy or not!

^ If we shouldn't think about personal style, should we delete the Personal Style forum? :unsure: :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MLM1963
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->