So You Want to Become a Model? (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Contract Dilemma!

I've recently signed with a Sydney agency called ***Agency Name removed: because they asked this member to remove the post since she named them. Member may not remove posts, after the first 10 minutes, so any action needs to be taken by the moderator team. We believe this information is important ... so we have opted to remove the agency name, but leave the post otherwise intact***. After months of looking for an agency, (they were) the first one to reply.

I met up with them a couple of times and they seemed very attentive and very eager to find me work (talking of strategies and things they could do to get me out there) so I signed with them a couple of months ago.

They sent me the contract via email. I read through it and although it seemed standard, I didn't think it was very well put or professional as in one of the points it stated "model will be represented for a period of 24months as effective on the date stated on this contract". I looked through all 3 pages of the contract and found no date. There wasn't even a space for me to fill in the date next to my signature on the last page.

Anyway I signed it and emailed it back and never heard anything from them ever again. Not even an acknowledgement that they've received my contract.

I've tried contacting them a few times to arrange a meeting to discuss future jobs but they were "too busy" and cancelled on my appointment at the last minute too many times.

Recently they've asked me to PAY to join this new database website so that "potential clients" will be able to view my profile there. I feel like they want me to pay a monthly fee to this new website to do their job for them. It's ridiculous!

It's been almost 3 months since I signed the contract and I don't even see my profile/photos up on their own personal website!

Now, another agency is interested in signing me (judging by the website and the quality of the models, this one seems more professional and they have a track record of getting their girls jobs with local fashion magazines).

Does any one know what would happen if I break the contract with the first agency and sign with the second? Do you think the contract with the first agency was legitimate enough that i'll get into big trouble if I leave? Has this happened to anyone here before?

Thoughts on what I should do would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I"m no attorney ... and I'm not familiar with laws in OZ ... but if there was no date ... it's not actually a contract, at least according to contract law in the U.S. Also ... I'd be willing to be that there probably was no signature from one of their officials on this thing that they sent to you via email and if that is the case ... there is definitely no contract.

It's probably OK to move on to another agency ... but to be 100% sure .... you should run it by an attorney in your country for real legal advice.

^Something similar happened to me too! I was told afterwards by the commonwealth bank security that if a company asks you to sign a contract online, it's pretty much a fraud..

Thanks for the responses guys!

I went to the new agency (Debut Management) the other day and just signed with them! I told them about the contract with (my first agency) but they said that the contract with them is invalid due to there not being a date as well as; and I quote "no one really cares about contracts and what not unless you're kate moss or miranda kerr. They can't stop you from finding other opportunities". And my new agency seem to have my back on this if things do become a problem with the old agency.

I've emailed (the first agency) and told them I no longer wish to be represented by them.

So excited to be with this new agency!

Thanks for all your help!

Hope I'm posting this in the right thread:

Last month (early December) a friend of mine from NYC sent pictures of me to a junior booker at Boss models. Within a week she had emailed me, we've been emailing frequently since then (i live in Arkansas). I had a friend take some more pictures of me to send to her, she loved them, she made me a "profile" and was sending me to clients for potential job bookings. At first she was willing to work me in Arkansas and the deal was that i was to fly up to NYC when I booked things. However, I missed a designer industrial I had booked because by the time she had found out I booked it, I couldn't get any flights in time to make it to the industrial. She told me the only way for this to really work was if I was to actually be in NYC. So, here I am now I've put my notice in to my job (I am, or was I should say a bank teller) and in February I'll be going out there to the agency and trying to get bookings and if it works out I'm thinking ill start looking for a permanent room. Really excited and I will be keeping everyone updated on how it goes!

Hi,

I have been looking at some comments I saw recently made my models on how they worked hard to get signed to agencies with portfolio work, taking a year or such and some of them say that they paid a photographer, like a good one to help them get good pictures for their portfolio in order to secure bookings and paid jobs. I know there are good photographers including some in London that test with models from bigger agencies such as Storm and Elite, etc and they do offer packages of shooting model portfolios, obviously it helps them make a living. What do you guys think, some times it is good for a model to invest into portfolios in order to gain exposure and good portfolio images which may increase her chances of getting signed?

Also sites such as Models. com where Lindsey Wixson was supposedly discovered by Steven Meisel, not sure if this is true but they only allow 3 photos on free membership, did she get discovered on polaroids or portfolio images, remember she already had experience from Vision and local modelling beforehand. Do agencies actually look on these sites such as Models.com, ModelManagement.com and Models-connect. I've heard of models who actually had memberships making investment and using these sites to become discovered by agencies or submit portfolios through. Are these sites good ideas?

^Mariann, sites like models.com are always worth a shot as bookers actively scout on that site and have accounts there.

Lyndsey Scott of Prada and CK fame, had a models.com account and was discovered through her polaroids.

Kendra Spears was recruited for the Ford Supermodel of the World contest through Myspace.

Agents pretty much use any vehicle available to find models whether it's social networking websites, walking on the streets of a small town or visiting smaller agencies.

And about Wixson, I believe she was already signed with Vision LA. She was discovered on models.com by Meisel not through a models.com account but they featured her on "Of The Minute." I believe agencies submit polaroids and videos to models.com hoping for a feature or exposure. This is the video Meisel's team saw: http://models.com/oftheminute/?p=6765

Re: Paying for portfolio shots prior to being signed ... generally it doesn't help a lot, because a good agency/booker can spot your potential in a polaroid.

And in fact, most bookers prefer to see you without all of that makeup and lighting. That is the reason why experienced models go to open calls with minimal makeup, hair pulled back and body conscious clothing on ... so the bookers can see the "real" model underneath. And .... if you are at an open call and they are actually interested in you, they will take a polaroid anyway (well, nowadays it's more likely to be a dgital) and sometimes a video, without makeup and hair done and without all that special lighting ... and use that to make their decision ... not your jacked up portfolio shots. The exception ... is if you are an experience model and have an existing portfolio showing work you have actually done ... bring that along with you to open calls.

Secondly ... if you get signed, most likely the agency will want you to start over and get new portfolio pictures done ... to their specifications. So .... it's a lot a money just to be thrown out. Yes ... good portfolio pics are a must for when you are going out on casting calls or go sees to potential clients. So why not just have your agency help you get the best photographer to market your look, after they sign you? That's their job ....

Now ... I didn't say great pictures never helped. They might help, sometimes, if you know what a specific agency is looking for. But usually they don't help much. So, you have to weigh the cost of building a portolfio on your own, against the fact that it all will probably be redone as soon as they sign you.

If you have the bone structure, the body and look that they need ... you will get snapped up anyway. You don't need them ....

Re: using web sites to promote yourself .... I honestly think that's not necessary, either. You have a better chance of getting seen if you go to open calls and send in snapshots to local agencies instead ... so you know someone will be glancing at them who is actually in a position to "sign talent". The agents I have talked to tell me that they don't look at any sites very often .... they have thousands of wannabes who approach them ... who come in to their open calls, or send in their photos. They already have plenty of options there without having to scour the internet.

Scouts seem to spend more time doing this, because they work on a commission (self employed), if they refer girls that actually work out. But scouts are not the decision makers ... they just send pics to the actual bookers who will take a qjuick look. So why not get in front of the bookers yourself ... at open calls or just send in your pics yourself?

If you do decide to put your pics up on a site like this .... be sure it's not the wrong kind (most of them are not legit fashion and commercial sites) ... they are not helpful if you want a career in fashion.

Be aware that:

Exposure in the wrong place, might not be good for your career, if you get signed later. A tremendous number of sites are used mostly by "web models" ... and that is not fashion, nor commercial modeling ... or anthing like that. It's usually modeling for men who like to look at women and take sexy pictures. If an agency found out that you had that reputation because you unkowningly had your pictures on some of these sites ... they would not be happy about it. Be careful where you put your pictures ... it could come back and haunt you.

More importantly, remember that on any site, Models.com or any other legit modeling site, you will be making yourself very vulnerable to predators who love to search for prey on these types of sites. These guys (and women) know that aspiring models are especially susceptible to anything they might propose .. telling aspiring models that they are agents, photographers, etc. ... as a way to get your trust. Be very, very cautious if anyone says they want to meet at any other place than a legitimate agency. It's dangerous!

I am realitivly (read very) short for someone wanting to model, however there are people my height in the industry being v. Successful. Any tips on how to approach agencies so that I will get enough time for them to look at me and so I can show my "skill". Getting them to look past digits? X

I am realitivly (read very) short for someone wanting to model, however there are people my height in the industry being v. Successful. Any tips on how to approach agencies so that I will get enough time for them to look at me and so I can show my "skill". Getting them to look past digits? X

Make a model mayhem to test with high fashion photographers and take your time. Get the confidence and experience from this. Make sure you have the best portfolio you think you can get. Perhaps look for emails of agents rather than email the agency as they may not reply. If you can visit the agency then drop in person. Agencies lie about model's heights. You may have to "round up" your height. Some agencies like experience and versatile looks. Portfolio images would be a good solution. But yeah look at Anja Konstantinova at 5ft 4!
Posted via Mobile Device

Welcome to the Fashion Spot, Audrey! :flower:

Remember .... it's not just about height ... although that is a very hard one to crack. If you have an exceptional face that gets them excited ... they might give you a shot. (statistically, you have a very, very slim chance ... but yes, a few of hundreds of thousands of wanna bes who are short have actually made it).

A good booker/agent can just look at your face and know instantly ... it doesn't take fancy porfolio shots. In fact, sometimes that can work agaist you. They will want to see the raw material. Go to open calls and see if they respond to your face ... you will know soon enough if it's exceptional enough to get anyone interested. BTW ... "pretty" is not what they are looking for ... they are looking for a certain type of bone structure and something that just draws the eye which is different.

If you do decide to hook up with a photographer on Model Mayhem or any other site like that .... be very, very careful. Most of those photogs are not pros and some are either predators or at the very least, "dirty old men" with cameras. Meet with them first ... and take a friend. Ask to see his portolio, ask about where his studio is, ask who he has shot for before, ask for references. Ask if you can have a friend at the shoot ... as long as he or she just sits quietly and doesn't talk or get involved. And if you sense anything at all ... don't do it. This is a stranger .... purporting to be a photographer. He might be legit ... but it's just as likely that this person is just a hack or something worse. Remember ... it can be dangerous!

I am considering sending my photos to an agency soon, since I'll be out of a job in seven months due to a big transition in my life and I figured why not!

Right now I live relatively close to the city. However, it just so happens that that big transition is college. Is it possible to maintain a job like this and live three hours from NYC/attend school? Would agencies be willing to sign someone with this situation?

As long as you can get there within a few hours notice ...

You'd have to prioritize modeling over college ... and go where and when they send you to casting calls and jobs ... which can come up suddenly, sometimes. If you started to turn down things because you had a class or something going on at school, they'd soon drop you. Their priority is to get thier models working so they can make money and they won't waste time on models who are "iffy".

Just like any job really! But I'm also assuming that if I'm signed at all I'd be signed at a small place and get work relatively sporadically. Or perhaps I could find an agency in the city at which I'm attending school. Really just exploring my options. Especially for something more exciting than work-study. Haha!

Mostly bone structure, I would say. Of course standard model height and size is pretty much a given too because you have to fit in the clothes .... but the face trumps that (example, Kate Moss who is short). And the face needs to be quirky and distinctive ... recognizable .... to be special ..... or she/he just blends in with all the other models.

Unfortunately ... that's not something you can change, other than by surgery. So you either have the look they want ... or you don't.

Oh nono I didn't mean appearance, I mean like modelling abilities like poses and expressions that sort of thing. I know personality plays a part but I was meaning like some models you look at and they make incredible poses, expressions and take direction well, that sort of thing. It's hard to explain. I was just wondering how can a model excel in what she does?

^
^ I agree on all accounts, except for that I must say I don't think the bone structure is something surgery can get..

And I also want to add that it's falling into the right timing as well. The models who were big two decades ago would not have made it now and vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->