So You Want to Become a Model? (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

It's not a bad idea but it's not easy.

To become a hand model, it's the same process .... build a portfolio, then send your pics to agencies that rep parts models and try to get interviews until one offers to represent you. You also need to live in a city where they shoot ads and commercials. So, L.A., NY, Chicago (maybe Miami during their season) would be the US cities where you would probably find work.

Here's a Wiki link ... with some good advice about the requirements and the steps to take: http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Hand-Model

Last edited by a moderator:
i got scouted when i was 11...my mother wouldn't let me go, she thought it wasn't legitimate, that it was ed prostitution...i ended up never modeling...ended up in library technology instead....go figure. sometimes people joke im a model though...i forgot all about it...i got scouted so many times...oh well.

i got scouted when i was 11...my mother wouldn't let me go, she thought it wasn't legitimate, that it was ed prostitution...i ended up never modeling...ended up in library technology instead....go figure. sometimes people joke im a model though...i forgot all about it...i got scouted so many times...oh well.

Give it a try. Who knows what will happen?

How to become a model?

If you a model material, you will be scouted unless you live in some incredibly remote part of the world...and probably even then. So if you haven't been scouted by the age of say 19, you are most likely not model material.

Hi,

I have been looking at some comments I saw recently made my models on how they worked hard to get signed to agencies with portfolio work, taking a year or such and some of them say that they paid a photographer, like a good one to help them get good pictures for their portfolio in order to secure bookings and paid jobs. I know there are good photographers including some in London that test with models from bigger agencies such as Storm and Elite, etc and they do offer packages of shooting model portfolios, obviously it helps them make a living. What do you guys think, some times it is good for a model to invest into portfolios in order to gain exposure and good portfolio images which may increase her chances of getting signed?

Also sites such as Models. com where Lindsey Wixson was supposedly discovered by Steven Meisel, not sure if this is true but they only allow 3 photos on free membership, did she get discovered on polaroids or portfolio images, remember she already had experience from Vision and local modelling beforehand. Do agencies actually look on these sites such as Models.com, ModelManagement.com and Models-connect. I've heard of models who actually had memberships making investment and using these sites to become discovered by agencies or submit portfolios through. Are these sites good ideas?

I work in casting. Do not waste your money. Legit agencies do not care about the quality of your portfolio when deciding whether to sign you. All that matters is your look. Have a friend snap some good digitals of you makeup free and email them to an agency. That's all you need.

I'm 30 years old, notwithstanding one could say I look much younger (I get that a lot). Have been to modeling school at 14 - never had a portfolio, I'm petite, but my measurements are very harmonic and my face isn't that bad, my skin is very healthy, so is my hair. I really would like to give it a try, but my lifestyle/job is, somewhat, getting in the way, at the very moment. I still consider signing with some agency - in a near future :blush:

To be honest ... if you are over 20, it's probably too late for fashion modeling (most models no longer work after they are about 25). and If you are not at least 5'9" .... they probably won't be interested anyway.

But ... there is something called "commercial modeling" ... which is not fashion modeling, but more about being in ads and commercials to sell some other kind of product (cars, cell phones, panty liners, cereal, health insurance, etc.). It's akin to acting. Height and age are factors, but not a problem, because in commercial modeling they just want attractive but "average" people to be in the ads. The look for certain "types" and if your agency thinks you have the look they might want, they send your out on a casting call to see if you can snag the job.

So, if you are serious and have a bit of an acting background, seek out commercial agencies in your area and submit you photos and see what happens. You must be available to go out on go sees and casting calls at a moment's notice when your agency calls in order to compete for those jobs. So, having a very flexible "real job" is essential.

to anyone who's interested in being a model but has scars..i met an african american model once who had scars but was still a somewhat famous actor on television...so don't worry still apply if you have scars they may take you in.

hey all, have you heard that there's a new mobile app out there trying to give young models a general idea about modeling? it's called Modelhelp and I guess it works for iPhone and also for Android and it is free. :cool:

to anyone who's interested in being a model but has scars..i met an african american model once who had scars but was still a somewhat famous actor on television...so don't worry still apply if you have scars they may take you in.

Yep, anything can be covered in make up or edited out in photoshop too! I have a scar from chicken pox on my forehead, like it just looks like a tiny hole and it used to be edited out!

And some agencies do have age requirements in their "Become a model" application and it's usually 15-21 for girls and 16-20+ for guys.
But if you are female and over 21 but still think you have potential, apply anyway. Apply to as many agencies as you want, shop around.

As far as height goes, if you are 13/14 and under 5'8" they might take you in and see if you grow and build up your portfolio because someone might take interest in you and suddenly your height won't matter so much anymore. But it's usually 5'6" or 5'7" at the least for the younger girls.

Among any male models I have met, 5'10" is the very shortest and they are pretty rare. 6'0" and up is the best.

And a lot of fashion models turn to commercial modelling when they stop getting work so that market is quite competitive too!

what is the height and size for petite modeling? or most importantly height? I wanted to model but I couldn't find an agency in my city that accepts petites.

5'4" to about 5'6" and size about 00-2 is considered the range for "petite" models. It's just like regular models ... way taller and slimmer than average.

There is almost no market for petite models, so it's not likely you will find any agencies that use them.

Even "plus sized" models are usually between a size 8 and 12 and are usually at least 5'10" tall, and that really is nowhere near being a real plus size (plus sizes start at a "14,plus" which is actually close to a regular 16 with more hip and arm room). It's a shame that companies don't use real sized people as models, but they don't.

what is the height and size for petite modeling? or most importantly height? I wanted to model but I couldn't find an agency in my city that accepts petites.

Both Bicoastal MGMT has a board for Petite Models. You can only see the Petite board of Bicoastal MGMT via Modelwire (there are 2 models signed) and not their main site.

IIRC, Models International (appears to be defunct) as well as T.H.E Artist Agency had Petite boards.

I am no Anna Wintour, so I will let BetteT comment on whether Bicoastal MGMT is agency you want to approach.

I have not heard of Bicoastal ... but when I went to their "About" page, I see they rep "fit models" ,.... something that might work, and something I forgot about ... so good research!!

A fit model works for a designer in their offices to help them get the right fit on clothes that they are about to produce. So a real petite person would be needed ... one who matches their sample size requirement perfectly. So, if this agency reps some designers that have production offices in a city near you, where you can get there on your own ... they might be interested in you. I think all you need to do is to ask them what are the size requirements they need ... and if you are close they will probably have you come in and get measured.

When a designer needs a fit model, they specify exactly the measurements that they need, including upper arm and thigh measurements. Any model who actually measures that, will get the job. It's good work, because as long as you stay exactly that size, they will keep hiring you each season for the new lines.

They don't care what you look like ... they only care about your specific measurements. You won't have any profession photos taken (maybe some Polaroids just for their use)and there is no real runway work, either. It's all done in house. What they will want you to do is to try each thing on, let them see how it looks and they will ask you questions about fit ... such as "Is it too loose or too tight in the arms? How does it feel at the waist? and so on. So you need to be able to express yourself well and to have some stamina for trying things on.

^ Don't some fit models exclusively walk for the designer in their show?

There's always commercial modelling but really, anything under 5'9" for high fashion modelling is extremely slim.

Fit models don't walk in shows ... at least not that I have ever seen with the big name designers. That is because fit models are the size and height of the average customer and not picked for their facial features/"look". Whereas, models for runway and editorial ("fashion models") are greatly exaggerated in height (much taller) and size (much smaller) and usually have a much edgier look than the usual person ... to suit the image that the designer wants for his line.

Hi, I'm sorry if this is not in the right forum, I have lurked on here for a while and this is my first post. I'm really confused on what to do in my situation.

I signed with a mother agency in a secondary market a few months ago. I sent my photos to several agencies, and after I had already signed with my MA, I got interest from big agencies. My agency said they will find me an agency NYC but I don't know how long that takes. Can anyone give me some guidance on what to do? Obviously corona is putting everything on hold for now, maybe I am misguided but I feel like signing with the biggest agency you can is the best thing to do? Or maybe it's better to sign with a mother agency first?

Last edited:
^^^ Signing with the biggest agency is not necessarily the best for your optimum exposure to the industry nor the best financial investment in your career. Smaller agencies, and ones with a smaller roster that may not be a prestigious name may just be the one that will be more dedicated to investing in their models and getting them solid paid work.

As with anything, it’s always best to do your own research, find out about their current bookers and directors (and their work ethics and reputations, and evaluate what is the best for your needs. It still amazes me how some bookers will send their more high fashion-oriented models to some local casting call for catalogue work…

I am with a small mother agency in a more commercial market, my agencies keep showing me off to top notch agencies but I keep getting rejected due to my age. How do I reason with my agents and ask them to show me off to smaller more commercial agencies? I'm flattered they think I have a shot with top agencies, but due to my age (27) I believe I should stick with commercial print modeling. I am 5'10 and my stats are 32-25-35 in my agencies portfolio, but I'm a bit smaller now. (around 31-24-33)
I have been with other smaller agencies in my market in the past and it was the same story with all of them. They show me off to IMG, Marilyn, Elite, etc and they say I'm too old. I just feel like no one is taking the correct direction with my modeling career. Should I quit my mother agency and apply to commercial agencies on my own? This agency, and none of my previous agencies, have ever produced a supermodel. (although one of them did start teddy quinlivan and thats it)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imjustken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->