How to dress like a socialite

If you want to see some REAL socialite fashion, buy British Tatler. Such ah-mazing inspiration.

Tatler isn't what it used to be. Sigh. Eva Green runs riot in an English boarding school? No thanks!

With regards to the bumping of this thread,I'm curious to know what the poster means by is classy dead? Surely trendy means different things to different people?

Is there a style icon you look up to?

Gwyneth Paltrow- not really a socialite but she's got the style and class...

I think good ol' Gwyneth may be a *bit* too edgy in style... but she does have class.

And how about Natalie Portman? She looks well composed, but her style may be too edgy overall, too... I would say she's half/half, style-wise.

:lol: Nowadays, they don't always. But look at someone like: Tinsley Mortimer... She's classy.
I think she looks contrived and frumpy to the point where she looks ridiculous. Which goes for most of the American socialites I can think of.

^so does olivia palermo. I do think that for all their differences, OP is just a younger version of TM. and both are less embarrassing versions of paris hilton. There's no grace and elegance for them. It's cattiness and frenemies.

^so does olivia palermo. I do think that for all their differences, OP is just a younger version of TM. and both are less embarrassing versions of paris hilton. There's no grace and elegance for them. It's cattiness and frenemies.
You are so right. I do like OP's accessories though.

^I agree. separately. on her it seems calculated and contrived.

I think Tinsley Mortimer is a good few steps above Paris Hilton ... I liked her look several years ago.

You know what I would like to see come back, is natural hair color :P So difficult to get it right when you start changing things ...

Definitely agree with natural hair color.. or at least being really close to it.
Also having "perfect" looking hair helps.. shiny, healthy, brushed, styled

lauren bush is a good example. very classy but dresses kind of old for her age.

i think a lot of the socialites have stylist, image consultants or personal shoppers to help them to pick pieces...especially for some events. and they were exposed to the finest things at a very young age...some of them just only know nothing but the best...i.e. Mira Duma...

lauren bush is a good example. very classy but dresses kind of old for her age.
I cringe whenever I hear something described as "classy". Most often means that it's the complete opposite :lol:

When I think of socialite style, I think of the Miller Sisters. (Marie Chantal, Alexandra and Pia)

I have found my thread at last!

I too aspire to dress like UES socialite. Right now my current style inspiration is the fictional Blair Waldorf, from tv's Gossip Girl, but long time favorites include: Jacqueline Onassis, Princess Grace of Monaco, Princess Diana, Audrey Hepburn, Ginger Rogers.

Upgrading my wardrobe has been both difficult and easy. I loathe trendy items and love/own super simple block colour clothes (although I have started embracing some prints) but I don't own enough dressy casual clothes (ie: I own more jeans than pencil skirts, etc). Also, it's difficult because so many of the people I know are into the hipster style and trendy clothing and think I overreact when I tell them something doesn't fit my style.

I do agree with the comments that having a love and support of fine arts, quality food and wine, and education do go along with the style.

the whole 'socialite' concept is a joke at this point...

it used to mean something...once upon a time...
but now socialite is just another name for 'attention wh*re'...

:rolleyes:...

it's really unfortunate...and disappointing...
people who are fortunate enough to have so much should find a way to give back to those who don't...

it wasn't so long ago that monied families used their wealth to do good in the world...
and there really isn't anything more stylish than that...

imagine if paris hilton did something useful with her inheritance...?
so far- her greatest achievement is how to pose for the papparazzi...
:ermm:...
tragic really...

^I guess it's different in NYC then...
Over here we don't consider Paris Hilton a socialite at all. As much as i love Tinsley mortimer and olivia palermo, they are are celebrities, not socialities here.
The socialites here are considerably more low key and they do a great amount of charity work :smile: :smile:
i love observing the socialites here, i dont participate in the scene, but one of my friends here does... she was just at a charity event yesterday for the economist: world in 2011.. she was gonna go on a volunteer trip to ghana for winter break to help out...she actually introduced me to TFS!! if you speak to the real socialites here they are some of the most down to earth, elegant, nicest people ever. but they are incredibly low key, and they dont want to be on the press all of the time. that's why the impression people get of the socialites are the fame whores... it's because the fame whores are the ones that people only ever see and know about

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->