How to start the fashion thing - what are the basics?

Oh my gosh! I'm sorry I forgot all about this thread. I'll post later today with advice.

You might check out the thread called something like "Starting the fashion thing" ... there I recommend doing an inspiration board. I'm planning to make a built-in ribbon board on the inside of my closet door & move my inspiration boards there.

If you'd like to look older, you may want to think about your bangs ... I think they are making you look young (along with your rounded face & great skin). (Then about 10-15 years from now, don't forget to bring them back :P :wink:)

You might check out the thread called something like "Starting the fashion thing" ... there I recommend doing an inspiration board. I'm planning to make a built-in ribbon board on the inside of my closet door & move my inspiration boards there.

If you'd like to look older, you may want to think about your bangs ... I think they are making you look young (along with your rounded face & great skin). (Then about 10-15 years from now, don't forget to bring them back
tongue.gif
wink.gif
)

Thank you Fashionista-ta for dedicating me your time and adivce :heart: I'll be sure to look the thread you suggested,plus about my hair. Just this week I think I decided on cutting it on the shorter side,I love,love long hair but my hair needs to regenerate,so I'm going to cut..I'm afraid though :blush:
Thanks for complimenting about my skin,it's one of the few (iif not the only one ) thing i like about myself,cause I've never had a spot in my whole life,guess it's genetics.
Thanks again fashionista-ta,karma is on your way :flower:

To look older you should try and go for darker colours, black, white, oatmeal and rather have accent colours as accessories.

When it comes to shoes heels can make you look older but it's really up to you and what you feel comfortable in.
You should invest in a pair of black slim trousers that flatters you also some ballerina flats always look chic.

Thank you Fashionista-ta for dedicating me your time and adivce :heart: I'll be sure to look the thread you suggested,plus about my hair. Just this week I think I decided on cutting it on the shorter side,I love,love long hair but my hair needs to regenerate,so I'm going to cut..I'm afraid though :blush:
Thanks for complimenting about my skin,it's one of the few (iif not the only one ) thing i like about myself,cause I've never had a spot in my whole life,guess it's genetics.
Thanks again fashionista-ta,karma is on your way :flower:

You're quite welcome ... and I need to be sure & have your skin in my next life :wink:

I know it's a bit of a big deal to cut long hair ... when I cut mine it had been ruined with a bad perm, so that made it easier. It always grows back, so don't be afraid :flower: I love having shorter hair, I've never looked back.

And btw, your list should definitely be longer than one thing ... I could make you a much longer list than that right now :wink:

I generally go through magazines and tear all the looks i like then look at the common themes like colours or shapes or recurring items like dresses, jeans or skirts. Then i get the best of the items i can afford because i know i'll wear them all the time. And i stick to a colour palette because then they all go together.

I'm writing this because I want to know how to START IT, I mean, I like reading fashion mags, I enjoy watching fashion shows and I know what is a trend and what it isn't. But I'm just normal, I don't look stylish,
My friend always says that she wants to be more stylish but is too timid to "start" it because of the reactions she will get from people that know her. But I think that finding a style you love isn't going to be like "BAM" and happen over night, so there is no reason to think of the "start" as some huge barrier.

Like most said, styles always evolve, so just buy and wear what you like. My best advice is to buy clothes because you LOVE them, not because they're on sale/cheap/your favorite actress wore it/your friend thinks it looks cute on you. I've wasted so much money as a bargain shopper buying things I have never even wore once . Now I have no problem buying expensive things as long as I have thought about it for a few weeks and truly love it. Never rush into buy things!

Now that I reflect on my past, I kind of have to shudder at my phases. I had this Avril Lavigne pseudo-punk phase, where at the time I felt so cool. Then I had the eccentric phase, where again I felt so cool. Oh dear.

My personal idol said that he thinks "true style is incidental." I admit that I make fashion too much of a thinking activity and that I should relax a bit more and be less calculative. It's so hard though, because there is a thin line between effortless chic and having no style at all.

The trouble I find with my lookbook (I have a physical and online one) is that I may love a look and it looks fab on the model, but I dont have a model's physique so it doesn't translate in the same way on me. It's very difficult to incorporate what you like and adjust it to look just as good on you.
Oh I know, my lookbook is filled with so many ideas that I want to incorporate into my wardrobe, but most of them aren't achievable economically or physically. Still, I always save pictures because I find that the photos represent more of an aesthetics than a certain way to wear a piece of clothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
"My friend always says that she wants to be more stylish but is too timid to "start" it because of the reactions she will get from people that know her. But I think that finding a style you love isn't going to be like "BAM" and happen over night, so there is no reason to think of the "start" as some huge barrier. "

Thing is, I think if someone turns up looking differently one day, unless they look like a car crash, the reaction would be good, surely? 'Wow you look amazing', 'you should wear dresses like that more often', 'I had no idea you had such good legs' etc.... it's good to provoke fresh reactions. Good style comes from taking time and chances to work out what suits you and being fearless within that.

I think a good way to shake up your style is to go shopping with a friend who knows you well, and whose opinion you really trust. Let her recommend stuff for you to wear, and spend the day trying on clothes outside your comfort zone - try on everything she tells you to, it's not like you have to spend any money.

I keep meaning to start lookbooks but I'm not sure they'd be very helpful to me. I'm not very good at scrapbooking, I just can't seem to get started, and I get neurotic about how they look [forgetting that they're just a means to an end]!

^ You should try the ribbon board :wink: You never have to glue anything down ...

That's an idea.... :smile:

I really really love the idea of having fat books full of beautiful ideas. But really they would just exist for their own sake, and probably be more effort than they were worth, in terms of being useful.

I never wanted anything to do with fashion, I was thrown into it and now, my fashion thing has come from the lack of being unable to identify with anyone (this stems from childhoold) so now I see as a game, and that prevents me from getting hung up on fashion while still being able to appreciate it for what it is.

When I was younger I didnt have alot of money to buy the things I thought looked good. I always liked clothes - I liked the idea of exuding a statement without saying anything - so when I finally started to make a little money and began buying clothes, there was just no stopping me. :smile:

The first step I think is finding what style(s) you like. The second and most important IMO, is finding what compliments your body. For example, I have a long neck. For me, almost any shirt with a collar looks better than one without. So if I see something I like on the rack or even on someone else, I first try to decide what about the garment I like, and then think if ultimately it will look good on me based on its fit and my body. If it doesnt, I simply make a mental note of what I liked about it and find something else similar that better suits my body.

i started when my mum would get those designer catalogues when i was little... so i'd say, 3 y/o? also the time when i started drawing clothes.

when i shop, i don't have to work hard to find good stuff. usually, when i just walk past racks of clothes, certain pieces basically SCREAM my name. i take a glance and i kno: this is it, i can wear it with this and that. i know what i CAN and what i CAN'T wear, i know what message i want to project with each piece and how to make things work. yes, there's an awful amount of trial-&-error, but as long as things happen behind closed doors, noone has to know about your fashion mishaps.

i'm basically like that with me and everyone else i know. which is why my girls HATE to shop with me cause they think it's errie that sometimes i can point out possible no-pieces before they can. :lol:

i think it's something one can "grow" into if the interest is there. but i find myself checking out more and more fashion mags, ads and fashion shows. 10% of what is seen is easily translateable. the rest needs work.

i'm also in a sort of transition period myself
i've worn the same thing this whole year ..
very basic, navy and black
very easy
can wear it anywhere
but now i'd like to wear more interesting things ...
no more plain shirts and ordinary pants
i'd like something more designed.. so i'm in a way drawing a lot and collaging and collecting pictures with the intention it will somehow all meld together

^ You make a good point, gius ... it's not just about starting the fashion thing, it's also good for shifting the fashion thing ... :wink:

I keep meaning to start lookbooks but I'm not sure they'd be very helpful to me. I'm not very good at scrapbooking, I just can't seem to get started, and I get neurotic about how they look [forgetting that they're just a means to an end]!

I'm too lazy to keep a physical lookbook too, so I just keep a folder on my computer and save images of inspiring looks.

no more plain shirts and ordinary pants
i'd like something more designed

I find that the best designed clothing tend to be rather expensive. Where I live, we only have chain stores like the Gap, American Eagle, Old Navy, H&M, etc. They hardly have any interesting designs; even if pieces are "designer-inspired", they are styles that are from two seasons past and are really filtered for the masses. It's really difficult building a my dream wardrobe with limited finance and the choice of stores that I have.

^^My best advice to you is use accessories to express your individuality from the masses. A nice scarf or a nice watch, tie, belt, etc can make an otherwise boring mainstream outfit look chic and unique :smile:

^ There's also online shopping ...

Good point - I do a fair amount of online shopping. Some pitfalls to watch out for though are:

-Dont assume it fits you because its your size. If you're unfamiliar with the brand, ask around first (like here :smile: )

-Dont buy a suit online. Just don't do it. Unless you have the exact same suit in another color, or unless you fully intend to take it to the tailor.

-Free shipping (and especially free return shipping) is your friend when youre not sure about fit. Zappos.com is a good example of this. :smile: Always check the return policy.

-Accessories like scarves and ties and bracelets, etc are usually safe buys.

Also Keep in mind that you are looking at a 2 dimensional object trying to represent a 3 dimensional object, and somethings just dont come through. For example, I bought a button up shirt once and it had what seemed to be a nice embroidered design on it in the pic. When i got it in the mail, the embroidery was coarse and thick and ugly and just because of that, I returned it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->