Insight into Construction

Arturo21

Reaction score
I was browsing the Louis Vuitton website one day... :innocent: :ninja:

and I found a section where they should videos of their clothing, eyewear, timepieces, and leather goods being made. They showed the detail they go into, etc. Now Louis Vuitton is definately one of my least favortite labels, and I doubt that they do all that they say they do.

But it got me thinking - it would be great if we had a thread dedicated to construction, detailing, handwork, etc. I know lots of people here are interested in this sort of thing. At the prices designers charge, you expect top-notch quality (something you don't always get), and you also want to know how things are made.

So post here, if you have articles, videos, interviews with designers - etc, on the construction of pieces from particular labels.

I'll start with the Louis Vuitton videos..

www.louisvuitton.com - under 'the world of LV'

and Happy New Years everybody :woot: :clap:

hi,
thanks for this thread and for this link, very intersting

Really neat... who knows what it's like beyond the pr:innocent: , but a great peek into the workshops. I'm going to try that move with the two threaded needles that they used on the bags. Look forward to what else might be found out there - I never would've visited LV otherwise:lol:

^Lol, yea, I was looking to see what they said about their leather goods. I wasn't particularly impressed when I saw them at the Saks LV shop-in-shop.

I watched those videos back after they remolded the site, and as everyone else has said they were very interesting.

I know nothing about shoes, handbags and the like, but my guess is that those clothes are as worked as they show them to be. Garment construction is so painstaking, and really that's one of the things you're paying for when your buying a designer garment, the supreme work that's gone into each piece.

I never really expected Louis Vuitton to be of very high quality.

I'm assuming they were showing the best of their best. Maybe they were showing the more expensive bags and shoes being made. Not their American and Spanish-made bags.

The shoes are quite impressive.

I am taking a manufactoring and materials class this quarter and hopefully with the techniques I learn I can make some shoes. It's an industrial design class but I find it really interesting and hopefully something really interesting will come from it.

very good thead! i've been thinking about this issue lately.

ever since i've started sewing extensively for school i'm very aware of the hard work that goes into..say a dress shirt.:ninja: now, everywhere i go, be it H&M or Holt Renfrew. i always looks the seams, feel the fabric, etc..

it's a fascinating issue. i have to say, kudos to some designers for intersting and copmmplicated construction, but the quailty..ack:doh:

proenza schouler for example. i recently saw the most beautiful tweed bustier dress. yes, the construction with the cups and seaming is a pain, but the topstiching on the strap was coming out...ouch:doh: these things shouldn't be happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pastry said:
very good thead! i've been thinking about this issue lately.

ever since i've started sewing extensively for school i'm very aware of the hard work that goes into..say a dress shirt.:ninja: now, everywhere i go, be it H&M or Holt Renfrew. i always looks the seams, feel the fabric, etc..

it's a fascinating issue. i have to say, kudos to some designers for intersting and copmmplicated construction, but the quailty..ack:doh:

proenza schouler for example. i recently saw the most beautiful tweed bustier dress. yes, the construction with the cups and seaming is a pain, but the topstiching on the strap was coming out...ouch:doh: these things shouldn't be happening.
Yes, it's a pity that such good pieces can be ruined by very cheap stitching and such. Also, things made of very fragile fabrics....

they can be so beautiful, but honestly the only possible way to keep them together is to not wear them. The stitching can be quadruple reinforced, it can be made very strong, but the make-up of the fabric won't allow it to stay together too well.

and you're welcome, fille :flower:

I'm also a big fan of innovative fabric treatments. I saw an auction on ebay for a pair of Martin Margiela pants and the seller mentioned that MM was famous for his fabric coatings. What does he do to make his fabrics so special?

I'm exactly the same way Pastry, ever since I started school I'm constantly looking at the construction on the inside of clothes. For instance I was in Century 21 dept. store a few weeks ago and they had this Narciso Rodriguez dress from the s/s 05 collection, it was gorgeous fabric, but it didn't really do anything for me other then that. But then I turned it inside out and it was finished so beautifully that it actually made me love the dress.....

I've become really obsessed with the construction in clothing lately.

That's why I say that LV pobably does put that much work into their clothes, it wouldn't shock me at all.....maybe I'll go by the boutique one day and take a look.

^ be careful..i know i don' get on the sales poeple's good side when i start turning dress shirts inside out and inspecting the beading on dresses:innocent: :lol:

Spike413 said:
That's why I say that LV pobably does put that much work into their clothes, it wouldn't shock me at all.....maybe I'll go by the boutique one day and take a look.

LV's clothes really are wellmade and use great materials. Last spring I was oogling a zip cardigan in lambswool which was so soft it felt like cashmere, and I also lusted after one of their blazers... But they are on the expensive side, so I restrained myself. :wink:

But yes, these films seem to show the glossier side of production, not so strange since they're part of their marketing. It's still fun to see them though!

I thought I was odd for liking to see the seams and such. This is why I enjoyed the Dior couture show with all of that tulle. And watching the Vuitton videos has confirmed my fear of sewing. It just appears extremely hard and complicated. Complimenti to them :flower:

I was harrased by the sales people at Neiman Marcus when I was inspecting the valentino and john galliano (both exquisitely made BTW).

Really? What did they say?!?! Idiots, honestly...they should at least understand fashion just as much as their customers!

I also go inspect construction and so on, but I'm always shy in doing so. I had a run in with the guy who worked at Express Men(Not the best place to look at clothing, but I do it wherever I see it..). I told him off for questioning a customer and left ^_^

^Really cool! Thankyou for posting.
The workers look happy being photographed^_^

It's nice seeing how they make these handbags

Arturo21 said:
Really? What did they say?!?! Idiots, honestly...they should at least understand fashion just as much as their customers!

I also go inspect construction and so on, but I'm always shy in doing so. I had a run in with the guy who worked at Express Men(Not the best place to look at clothing, but I do it wherever I see it..). I told him off for questioning a customer and left ^_^

I was dressed quite scruffy so I sort of understand their concern. About 6 different sales people came up asking me if I needed anything, they looked quite nervous and I think they were going to kick me out soon! My sister came and I made her try on some of the jackets and I think that helped. One was quite nice and we had a good time dissecting (verbally) a Galliano coat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->