Louis Vuitton Nazi Scandal

Hmmmmmm not really that shocking to hear this. My question is what do some of you think this company should do? If LVHM does issue an apology for the "wrongs" of the family would the buying public really notice or care? Should the company go beyond just issuing a statement? This is the type of negative hype that people love to consume. We build these businesses (and even stars) up and then enjoy watching their downfall when we get bored with them. (It would be very fair to ask if the journalist is addressing this because they BELIEVE they are serving a higher purpose, or is the person just using the situation to propel the career and earn a paycheck?) In fact this does sound like the type of thing people will fixate on in hopes that it will devastate a company they may despise, but I don't think it will happen at all here. Fashion and fascism sadly seem to go hand and hand. Look at how today’s fashion conglomerates go out of their way to cater to the interests of the rich living in the Arab countries now. At the likes of Villa Moda one could even by an exclusive Prada caftan. So should any of these companies ask for our forgiveness because they may be outfitting potential terrorists in designer threads? What if it would actually come out that a person(s) may fund lets say suicide bombings and a company knowing this still invites them to runway shows and private events? I am sure it is happening right now and not just a hypothetical question. But that is way business goes I guess. Love it or hate it.

Also I think the point that Mutterlein was trying to make is that since some of you say that LV has prospered because of their past Nazi ties, and is around today because of them, that we should also apologize because we U.S. citizens now prosper both because of the sins of our forefathers and those of our present Government. Even if we “American taxpayers” don’t actively seek to aid our Government’s atrocities we still benefit from them none the less (for example some of the cheapest gas at the pump even if it is $2 a gallon). Soooooooooo I for one now apologize to the people of Iraq for the fact that my Gov’t helped put Saddam in power in the first place, thus ruining their lives and went on to redeem us by making a bigger mess out of their country. I also ask for forgiveness from the spirit of the wooly mammoth since my race killed them all off so that I could be here now. Actually I feel there is nothing disgusting about humor even during the worst of times for making light of some situations help us heal and learn to move on. So move on, we are all sinners here. . .

Originally posted by Lena+Jun 5th, 2004 - 7:10 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lena @ Jun 5th, 2004 - 7:10 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-paprika_hiccup@Jun 4th, 2004 - 11:00 pm
:ninja: :ninja: :unsure:
:lol: on the point paprica :lol: [/b][/quote]
:lol: Nice one Paprika

Very well said Sarcastitch . However, the rich in Arab countries automatically qualify as terrorists? of course, that is your perogative, not something I take to be true but unlike you, I am at least trying to be politically correct. And never in history have two wrongs made a right.

Welcome to the Fashionspot by the way.

wellsaid & welcome to tFS Sarcastitch,
you seem to bring 'inside' knowledge on this
most you said made clear sense...
erhh apart the 'arabs' point which i hope was
just an abstract example.
If not for the -generous- orders of Villa Moda,
certain design houses may had to face a tiny bit problem with $$$$$$.
the arab world is the main market for luxury products.

back on topic:
a statement from LV wouldnt hurt anayone at all.
the Guardian article came and went quickly,
for obvious reasons it was 'silenced' by the fashion Press.

an apology wouldnt hurt at all.

Originally posted by Sarcastitch@Jun 5th, 2004 - 2:48 am

Also I think the point that Mutterlein was trying to make is that since some of you say that LV has prospered because of their past Nazi ties, and is around today because of them, that we should also apologize because we U.S. citizens now prosper both because of the sins of our forefathers and those of our present Government.
No that's not it. My point was to show how absurd it is to hold a group of people respnsible for actions they didn't commit. You shouldn't be held responsible for the war in Iraq, you shouldn't be held responsible for any misdoings someone in your past ancestory did. The point was that there is so much sh*t that goes on everyone would have to be apologizing for something. Of course you should always be aware and concious of those things. It's just that when it is something like LV, people don't overlook it or ignore it.

And that is not to say that LVMH shouldn't make some type of public statement with some sort of apology. That may not be due to resonsibility but just plain decency considering the nature of the situation.

The companies which manufactured Zyklon-B never issued apologies...in fact IG Farben was still in business until 2003.

mainly because there was no public outcry and obvious government coverage,
but this is off topic, please do try and stay in the LV topic or in fashion & politics in general.

General political talk will not take us anywhere.

It just seems a bit odd that LV would apologise for what...selling clothes to Nazis? While no-one cared that IG Farben never apologised for making Zyklon-B...

Thank you everyone for welcoming me. Ahhhgucci my view isn't that EVERY Arab is a terrorist, neither is it that most of them are. I know the world isn't so black white dichotic in nature at all. Though there is the very real possibility that out of the Arab interests being catered to by the fashion companies there may be some who also use their capital to fund terrorist acts like Israeli suicide bombings. Though also on the reverse you have to realize that every Nazi sympathizer was NOT down for exterminating the Jews. I am sure there were many German troops even who may have secretly disagreed with the regime’s policies but toed the line anyways out of national pride. I’m sure when it came to the French interests and businesses that supported the Third Reich in someway may never have known upfront about what was actually going on until it was too late. But then again who knows? I am not trying to make apologies for anyone, just trying to point out that we all are guilty at times of giving aid to people/businesses/governments who may be up to scandalous sh*t just because they are the dominant entity at the time and it protects our hide. Self survival is a natural and overpowering instinct, only after the smoke clears do we realize to what detriment it may cause at times. On the lighter side I can see the backlash to all this being the more “punkier” fashion types rocking LV knockoffs with swastikas painted into or over the monogram. Hmmmmmm. . .

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jun 5th, 2004 - 12:43 pm
It just seems a bit odd that LV would apologise for what...selling clothes to Nazis? While no-one cared that IG Farben never apologised for making Zyklon-B...
Prince- I appreciate your comments, but I think you should take a few minutes to read the original article,
LV did not just sell a few satchels to Dr. Mengele- they were operating a factory specifically for producing thousands of pieces of propaganda, celebrating Petain- the Nazi-backed leader of the Vichy. Petain was responsible for rounding up and delivering over 100,000 French Jews to their deaths- many accounts describe that Petain's squads were very enthusiastic in this venture and some even mention that there is no proof of a direct order to do this.

I don't want to get into Cyclone B here b/c we are talking about LV, but Cyclone B was an existing pesticide that was already being used for its intended purpose before the Nazi used it to gas people to death. They actually used it as a pesticide in many camps , while in others . . . So they did not actually make anything specifally for the Nazi, but that is really not a concern b/c we're talking about LV.

Back OT, as for this :blink:
At the likes of Villa Moda one could even by an exclusive Prada caftan. So should any of these companies ask for our forgiveness because they may be outfitting potential terrorists in designer threads? What if it would actually come out that a person(s) may fund lets say suicide bombings and a company knowing this still invites them to runway shows and private events?

Sarcastitch- Please read my above comments- we are not talking about selling the Nazis some belts here.

Lena- I think it is amazing how effectively this info has been squelched in the media. The Guardian article is the ONLY article that address it, and it is already "old news" by now. I am amazed- it hasn't been much of a news week has it?

I've never had any pos/neg opinion of LV before this- I was never impressed, but I never gave much attention either. Now, you could not pay me enough to carry one of their bags- it would be like carry a casket :ninja: I've never been a fan of the monogram, but you can be sure that if I ever did feel the need to have someone's initials plastered on a garment/handbag, those initals would be something that I would feel connected to in some way and be proud to advertise for free.

Originally posted by paprika_hiccup@Jun 7th, 2004 - 6:30 pm
Lena- I think it is amazing how effectively this info has been squelched in the media. The Guardian article is the ONLY article that address it, and it is already "old news" by now. I am amazed- it hasn't been much of a news week has it?

i know, its really weird, i guess i was amazingly lucky to catch this up browsing the political sections ..
to many small but important newsbits bits that ONLY just make it out there for just a half hour :ninja: and of course it makes suc a lot of sense,
LV simply controls too much of the Media though their heavy advertisement campaigns :rolleyes: :P

The vw beetle is a nazi car that the getaspo (or howeva u spell it) all drove people still drive it though !! I dont think lv would do an apology as alot people still dont know about it so by apoligising then that would draw attention to this !! as im sure an apology would get more press coverage !!!

By do u know were i can buy that book from ?? I know it is only avaliable in french but can u buy it online ???

yes, good idea, lets hide everythung under the carpet :rolleyes:

I think the swastika is pretty, too. Technically, the Nazis reversed the original symbol of the swastika which was the wheel of life or something metaphysical like that.

Anywho. I don't think it's surprising that LVMH worked with the Nazis. An apology would do good for the company, there are always those that want to capitalize on a dirty past.

ze swastikas ze nazis used was tilted at a 45 degree angle.. which means hate and destruction .. i think swastikas are beautiful too.. hitler twisted it along with the philosophies of 19th century racist colonialists to benefit his anti semitic propoganda..

with regards to this issue..i think LVMH owes an appology.. i can understand that past is past and it sounds silly..but i think paprika is right..

for some reason when i saw this thread i thought LV used the nazi logo or something.....that would have been soo nice since i could bash then really hard for it..too bad they didnt do it.. :smile: i have much contempt for LV..

Actually.. i think that time LV wasn't sure at all about what nazis are doing.. Like most people.. -.-

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
famfaluca
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->