Insight into Construction

I actually found the shoe video more interesting than the clothing video, I guess because I wouldn't know where to begin with making a shoe so it was cool to finally see it done.

i did a little investigation today at Holt Renfrew:

well, i kept on coming back to the ROCHAS shelf. i was spellbound. there were silk circle skirts, chiffon tops, bustier dresses, and a white unlined linen coat. i swer, i think the seamstresses must have went blind topstiching everything so evenly. one thing i was disappointed in was the linen coat. the topstitching was uneven in a couple of places and the rolled hem on one part of the coat ($2,775 cnd) was iffy:(. otherwise... kudos to those seamstresses!

Marni, Chloe, and Miu Miu were all of fantastic quality. i was more than impressed with the Marni pieces. All were beaituflly finished inside and had very nice details like grosgrain ribbons inside.:flower:

one downer, was the marc by marc jacobs merchandise. i found a batch of unlined blazers...the armholes were surged like crap, it was coming out. a lot of the collection had very complex contruction or detail, but....

at the Gucci store, the cruise patchwork dresses were fantastic! there was a lot of spring 2005 (!) left. those pieces where leather was sewn onto organza looked unfinished. take an ostitch-gator-whatever else coat or example, the little pieces of leather were raw around the edges and it was just..ack. not worth the $68,000. the cruise collection was much more minimal, but the quality was fantastic!

:flower:

I would be pissed if I spent $68,000 on something that would fall apart on me!

Another case of amazing fabrics/materials and poor constrution. It's really a pity.

Pastry, very knowledgeable! Do you do any fashion-related work that gives you such an interest in the construction.

^ i sew! when i started making clothes i became very aware of the time that goes into this, and the construction methods.. it's a great feeling!:wink:

cool thread!, i love construction and sewing techniques aswell, when i went to Europe i was all the time trying to see the details of designers garments and i realise that for example all of the shiffon or silk pieces are machine finished wich was rather odd because i felt i could do that in my house with my own overlock machine, i remember that in milan at Alexander Mcqueen they had an evening gown that erin wasson had worn on the catwalk, the one that had a bustier that give the impression of falling of the body and although the embroidered tulle was absolutelly beautiful, the seams of the bustier were uneven, i even comented my cousin about it in case i was starting to get nuts over the perfectly finished outfits but he (who has no idea of sewing or fashion what so ever) took notice, in Paris i went to versace on the rue du faubourg saint honoré and they had a section with dresses form past collections and i remember that sometimes when you watch an evening gown on a fashion show on tv or a picture and it sparkles it looks so special and i start wonder what is it made of and when you look at them you realise its made with common beads that you can buy everywhere, but they also had the most amazing and special fabrics on other dresses and i also noticed that all of those silk and lace dresses that look so ethereal on the runway actually have bustiers on the inside to held everything perfectly and they are not heavy but not feather light aswell, later that day i wen´t to Galliano a few blocks from Versace and they had the most incredible dresses on the world, they had like this three dimensional flowers atached to them that looked as if they were growing of the fabric, totally exclusive, worth every Euro and so extremely special for a ready to wear dress and on the window they had this white transparent silk bias cut dress that was heavenly done too, it had a draping on the front, so vionnet and because it was see through you could see all the seams that where very very thin, im a huge Versace and Galliano fan but i do have a critical eye and those two labels totally pased the exam for me.
by the way, this have already been posted on other threads and i have posted it on the couture calendar for summer 06 couture shows thread but theres a 5 episode show called signé Chanel that shows the whole conception of a couture collection and for those who love cosntruction is a must see i think, here´s a link with more information but for those who live in Paris it is for sale at colette and i think also at amazon:
http://www.arte-tv.com/fr/connaissance-decouverte/chanel/799626.html

Last edited by a moderator:
okay...sooo who else thinks this is worth $ 34,000?:innocent:

00420m.jpg

style.com

it better be good, it's a crying shame, there is no yves saint laurent merch i can look at aroung here...they closed down the boutique at holt renfrew..only to be replaced by a michael kors extravaganza:lol:

after shopping recently at holt's i had an opportunity to look at some more clothes, and as much as it hurts my face to say this, i was spellbound by the quality of a zac posen...a brocade dress (made to look like snakeskin of course:innocent:) was so cleanly finished and lines, had a nice weight to it....maybe too heavy, i wouldn't know, i wouldn't wear it.

a buttery soft burberry trench seemed worth every penny of the $5000, i wanted to fall asleep on it...which brings me into Zara right next door..i was in shock:ninja: i've never seen zara offer cheaper price points: a leather pea coat that felt just as good as its burberry cousin was..$169!!! yes, it was practically free, although it was hip-length...

some blatantly "chloe-inspired":lol: blouses were so well made..ack! since when does zara make their clothes so well?

oh yeah, a nautical chloe sweater with rhinestone buttons had an atrocious hem, i thought it was criminal considering chloe's pricepoint...

Pastry said:
okay...sooo who else thinks this is worth $ 34,000?:innocent:

00420m.jpg

style.com

it better be good, it's a crying shame, there is no yves saint laurent merch i can look at aroung here...they closed down the boutique at holt renfrew..only to be replaced by a michael kors extravaganza:lol:

after shopping recently at holt's i had an opportunity to look at some more clothes, and as much as it hurts my face to say this, i was spellbound by the quality of a zac posen...a brocade dress (made to look like snakeskin of course:innocent:) was so cleanly finished and lines, had a nice weight to it....maybe too heavy, i wouldn't know, i wouldn't wear it.

a buttery soft burberry trench seemed worth every penny of the $5000, i wanted to fall asleep on it...which brings me into Zara right next door..i was in shock:ninja: i've never seen zara offer cheaper price points: a leather pea coat that felt just as good as its burberry cousin was..$169!!! yes, it was practically free, although it was hip-length...

some blatantly "chloe-inspired":lol: blouses were so well made..ack! since when does zara make their clothes so well?

oh yeah, a nautical chloe sweater with rhinestone buttons had an atrocious hem, i thought it was criminal considering chloe's pricepoint...

If I was a women and I bought this every ruffle better stay on till the end of time!!! I think if clothes cost a lot of money they should be top qualty with no exceptions.......no bad hemming, stitching, Etc.

:judge:

Oh, And I sew too. It's very tiring to try to do the constution right. So I check hems and constution too. And there are so many places like *cough* AF*cough*and*cough *The Gap*Cough* that sell badly made things and want a lot of money for them. I kinda think it's a rip-off......but what can ya do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->