Italian Street Style

Just DONT wear Ecco or Mephisto shoes, you will look more american than if you wore white sneakes.

Hey there,

In Rome the style depends very much on your age. Most under-25s dress very street - lots of ripped and faded denim, the girls wear t-shirts mostly, 80s style if anything. Think Miss Sixty adverts. Sneakers are perfectly OK - the best are Converse or Pumas etc. And at night there's a big mix of dressed up and down - again, jeans and sneakers are fine, or else crazily short skirts and stiletto boots.
Women from the age of 30 and on tend to be the complete opposite - Roman women have mastered the art of wearing stilettos all the time (you just have to keep your weight forward, like walking on tiptoes, or else the cobblestones destroy your heels), and also go in for smart trousers and tops, smart skirts, full make-up. Always wear huge sunglasses! And there are a lot of tourists in Rome at this time of year. The Americans/British stand out, either because they're badly dressed or, just as often, because they're dressed in a much more feminine way, in 50s skirts etc. Also, don't wear flip flops in the city, and always wear a jacket, even if it's warm.
Have fun! :D

if youre going to milona then, sorry theres close to no hope. its really hard to keep up with whats going on there. plus you have to be an ultra millionaire to buy anything.
we are there (milano) right now and the best thing that we found, that we can afford, is H&M.
But wait there is hope! if you go to a hotel then the will most likely fill you in on outlets that are around your area.
good luck!

Arg! How lucky are you! I went to Italy real early in the year, when it was very cold. I don't remember seeing anyone in Uggs over there. They do like the technica moonboots when it snows, though. And I remember parkas on the younger girls.

italians are such fashion victims! italian fashion is totally outrageous and over-the-top. look out for ripped off jeans, flashy colors, big logos and inscriptions onshirts (DOLCE GABANA, GUCCI,etc) and most importantly, the big-azz designer sunglasses. EVERY italian has at least 1 pair.

Like shadow said, italian fashion is like what you see on miss sixty adds.

A thing that is really in at the moment in italy are big baggy jeans for women with a nice small feminine top. not everyone can pull that off, but when they do, its HOT.

also, skinny jeans are hot at the mo and have been forever in italy.

ive lived in italy for a while so ya, i have lots of quirky little anecdotes...

Thanks for all the suggesstions.:wink:

I'm going in March (I know, I know, months away!) but a girl can never start planning and packing too early!

I hear the temp ranges anywhere from 38-69 degrees in Italy during March so that should be an interesting array of clothing that will be in my suitcase.:rolleyes:

I carry my Louis Papillon everywhere as my daily handbag but I was actually told by someone who recently got back from Italy that I "shouldn't bring that" as it's not a good idea to carry expensive handbags around Rome as pickpocketing is prevelent and people will cut them right off you! Has anyone else heard of this? Or carried their higher-end handbags in Rome without any problems???

yup,my dear.a friend of mine was busy trying on high heels in Rome and when she turned round to leave her h/bag is gone...and the worst thing was that her passport is in there.

GCc said:
italians are such fashion victims! italian fashion is totally outrageous and over-the-top. look out for ripped off jeans, flashy colors, big logos and inscriptions onshirts (DOLCE GABANA, GUCCI,etc) and most importantly, the big-azz designer sunglasses. EVERY italian has at least 1 pair.

It is logical that Italians are fashion victims! They nearly invented the pret-a-porter industry themselves! Valentino has shops in the most provincial towns, the average italian grows up looking at designer items (clothes, kitchens, lighting, furniture, jewellery, you name it) No need to buy expensive foreign magazines or to travel to other countries, like many of us :cry: ! And they do have an extra gene for anything related to art, aesthetics, elegance and flair. And the pressure from your environment is great, no one will understand you for not trying (at least trying) to make bella figura.

shadow,
ya, totally.
every teeny tiny provincial town has at least a miss sixty, a diesel and a max mara store. it's mind-boggling. over here, in a small - or even a big - provincial town, you find absolutely NO BRANDS. in italy - especially in the north, the south is more rural and poor, less sophisticated - children grow up knowing every designer.

have you lived in italy? perché parli italiano, giusto

Ho studiato la lingua all'università...molti anni fà.

By the way, going back to the subject of pickpockets, well they exist in every city where there is tourism...and the pickpockets can spot the tourists a mile away. They are easy preys because tourists are by definition relaxing, sightseeing, looking at monuments. Whereas the locals carry just as expensive handbags but are much more alert and awake.

Good point, Shadow. You have to be careful everywhere you go and always be aware of your surroundings. Traveling alone isn't the safest thing to do anymore... Fortunately I'm going with a group of friends so that will be an advantage, we all look out for each other.

Hey hey!!!!
I live in milano........
shopping is the best... yeah it's true we're fashion victim, most of all (especially in milano) but anyways we love people from U.S so you can dress everything you want :smile:
our must (cool people) at least
-designer sunglasses (GCc you're soo right)
-designer bag
in march is cold
we also love Dolce&Gabbana jeans ( I adore them) diesel, seven, dsquared... shoes we teen have prada sport shoes or gucci, but also nike or adidas ( not the biggest ones fuh!) love heels........ if you want ask me somethin I'm here!!

Can I subscribe to threads without actually posting (if this post seems pointless I bet you can guess why)?

there are my fav gucci shoes (mine are black:(heart:

everybody here has them

:D

Attachments

• scarpe gucci.2.jpg
    scarpe gucci.2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 19
i know i want photos too! :(

cant beleive the fashion country of the world hasnt got streetstyle photos

hey im goin in rome on sunday, so pretty pretty please any shoppin and clubbin tips? as my favourites are D&G, Dsquared and diesel and most of my clothes are that think i should click just well :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->