Jason Wu F/W 12.13 New York

christian zh

Reaction score
First look

lOUgz.jpg

-my screenshot from nordstrom.com

Last edited by a moderator:
In Love with this collection, the best I have seen so far.

Looks pretty solid from the screencaps. Can't wait to see the rest. Love the clean and severe silhouette.

Both military and burgundy parts of collection seem perfect for me.

Jason keeps getting better and better with each season. This is how you do an Asian inspired collection without being too derivative.

This is the first time I'm impressed with a Jason Wu collection. I always felt like he wasn't even close to living up to the hype but I thought everything in this show worked perfectly. Everything about it screams "strong femininity" to me. The shapes and silhouettes are so feminine and flattering and yet the colors and and the military references gave this a roughness that I didn't expect from Wu. Some of the belted coats are a bit reminiscent of Sarah Burton for McQueen but overall I thought this whole collection was so cohesive and looked so typically Wu so he did a really good job at trying something new and still remaining true to his usual aesthetic. And I'm glad he ditched the gaudy colored opulent gowns this time around. Really nice collection!

by Emily Holt
“The big question is, ‘What is China?’ ” No kidding. It feels like everyone in fashion is talking about China or opening stores in China or investing in China or trying to figure out what women in China want to wear. For Jason Wu, who was born in Taiwan but has spent most of his life living elsewhere, the question is a little more personal. Because although he’s an Asian-American designer, he’s yet to consciously reference the country in his collection. “I guess it’s just so obvious to me because I grew up with it,” he said a few days before his fall show. But when he returned to Taiwan recently, for the first time in five years, he started thinking about it in relation to his work. Or as he puts it, “How would a Chinese designer do Chinese?” The complete answer won’t be revealed until tomorrow, but here are Wu’s three starting points: Chinese military (so think rigid lines and army green), the Qing Dynasty (elaborate brocades and ornamentation), and movies like 1932’s Shanghai Express, which Wu acknowledges wasn’t very Chinese at all, but he’s interested in how the culture was reflected (or refracted) through Hollywood’s lens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->