Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture S/S 2022 Paris

There are some lovely pieces and interesting ideas all over the place (but in need of editing), in particular, the high collar emerald green gown and the last coral corset dress are to die for. Maybe a good presentation will help bring out the passion and energy of JPG, nevertheless, I will take this offering over Chanel, Dior, or Valentino any day for sure!

fantastic collection, i love his stuff and it translates so well here

A bit too focused on technique while forgetting that sharp wit that made Gaultier such a figure of Paris fashion. Still, plenty to love and I’m happy to see a bit of creation and risk in a sea of forgettable evening wear…If life were fair these two recent Gaultier shows would receive multi-page coverage from some Vogue edition but alas…

A bit too focused on technique while forgetting that sharp wit that made Gaultier such a figure of Paris fashion. Still, plenty to love and I’m happy to see a bit of creation and risk in a sea of forgettable evening wear…If life were fair these two recent Gaultier shows would receive multi-page coverage from some Vogue edition but alas…
AGREE

A few pieces from this collection were on display at the Dover Street Market in LA a couple weeks ago. Here are a couple pics that I took (wish I took more) :
d58ba72b4bf6f42ccf8df816c8f475355b902c0b.jpg
89494d72aa21e19ae7b3fbe3d9ed6b476f02a650.jpg

Hmm...quality doesn't look great. The pink corset top is not up to par - especially as a key icon for this maison. The Gaultier atelier has produced far too many magnificent corsets to put out something like that. And then the asymmetrical corset-laced is all sorts of buckling and pulling mess around the waist area.

I'm consistently disappointed by the lack of technical skills displayed by the new generation of designers. And really what's worse than them not having those skills is the clear lack of desire to hone these skills.

At the very least, this project has made me pay attention to Haute Couture week again. Frankly, I thought this was a little less polished than the Sacai collection, especially knowing what Glenn Martens is capable of doing at Y/Project. Still, this is leagues above the other couture shows. And I agree: a better presentation could have added that extra bit of oomph I expect from a Gaultier show.

Glenn Martens is one of the best of the new talents today.

To see the full extent of his breadth throughout three collections (JPG HC, Y/Project, and Diesel) only confirms this for me.

In the press for this collection, he made a point to say that there is a difference between doing a JPG collection as a permanent designer, which requires foresight and long-term strategy in its approach, and doing a one-off appearance as a guest designer. They are two very different exercises.

For those of you with very specific ideas of what he should and shouldn't have done, I think it's worth keeping that in mind.

No, it's not really my cup of tea, not that JPG ever was, but I've always wondered what Martens could do with an haute couture atelier. He did exactly what I hoped he would: indulge and make full use of the petite mains and give the house's irreverent codes a fresh point of view.

I think the ascent of his star has only just begun. I would bet good money on him securing a top job at one of the huge, powerhouses at some point in the future.

Anyways, next up is Olivier Rousteing.

So, there you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->