Jennifer Hudson: "I'd Change My Oscar Dress"

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
entertainmentwise.com
The metallic bolero Hudson had sported was the reason she was subjected to ridicule. And apparently the choice was down to every fashionista’s reference book of choice: Vogue magazine, who coerced her into donning the ensemble.

One fashion editor referred to the bolero as making Hudson look "lost in space”, which has been the consensus of most press covering the red carpet.

“Jennifer was kind of sponsored by Talley and Vogue," said one fashionista. "Andre insisted she wear that hideous Oscar de la Renta dress with the awful, awful gold python bolero.”

Hudson realised the bolero wasn’t doing her any favours, so super stylist Jessica Paster stepped in to help. “Jessica got her a beautiful gold Roberto Cavalli custom-made. But when Andre found out, he went ballistic. Moments before she left for the show, there was a power struggle and Jennifer ended up putting his outfit on."

If*fashion's elite can*get it wrong, what hope is there for us mere mortals?

i saw her on the today show this morning, and when matt asked her if there was anything she would change about her oscars experience, she said "my dress"...

when matt tried to find out more, she said, "i loved the dress, the dress was great"
she never mentioned the jacket...:innocent:

i knew Andre L. Talley had something to do with it! when i saw her outfit first time i just sensed it was his influence....one can only wonder why he wanted her to wear this "thing".

i don't always agree with his fashion choices, even though i always read his columns in vogue. he's also a very big fan of Renee Zellweger and he always loved everything she wore in the past, which i found somewhat odd since expect for that yellow vintage Jean Dessès number she always looks boring on the red carpet. he also loves Rachel Roy's style, which also is not very stylish or sophisticated. so, even though he's working at vogue, he really does not have the best fashion taste, and jennifer's outfit was just a prime example of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's foolish of her to say anything critical about ALT's dress choice (and Vogue by association)
not that the bolero wasn't awful, since it was, but it would be very bad public relations for her to piss off her greatest advocate. if she was gonna complain she should have done so before wearing the dress.

ingetjuh18 said:
So she doesnt have a mouth?

That's what I thought... no one is going to make me wear some hideous ensemble on one of the biggest nights of my life and career. Not even a fashion icon!

One fashion critic on E! pointed out that ATL always tries to put people in outfits that, being 6'5 and very large, can wear well because of his presence. Those same looks don't translate as well on smaller people of a different gender. :unsure:

Don`t blame Vogue! It was HER descision to consult them, take their advice and neglect her own opinion/choice.

If I was in doubt about a dress I wouldn`t wear it to such an important occasion and yes, the dress/outfit was hiddious! :yuk:

If your starting point is 'pink number' she wore at American Idol .. and you remember the ridicule Jennifer Hudson has received for for her lack of style.. maybe it would not be so hard to understand that on such a special night as the Oscars is.. she might not feel confident making her own choices.

The ensemble wont go down as one of the worst Oscar ensembles.. it's just wasn't memorable enough...

To me, admitting that she didn't like her outfit and that it was forced upon her, makes the fact that she wore that ugly jacket even worse than if she had kept her mouth shut. I think I would just keep my mouth shut--and not let some ugly jacket distract from the fact that I won an Oscar Award! Just don't make the same mistake next time and move on! :lol:

Even if it was awful...she still needs those powerful people backing her up...looks like we have seen the end of J.Hud in Vogue...

But anyway it's shame some people are using this as a distraction for her oscar in in the media. I do think she should've jsut worn what she wanted since it was HER night but whatever...that's business...

Andre Leon Tally is ghetto. His taste is very pedestrian. He was exposed as a fake during the Oscars. Both with how he styled Jennifer and his little pre-show. He couldn't even pronounce Cate Blanchett's name properly -- and she is a total fashion goddess. Andre just got lucky because he is so ugly and in-your-face. His personality is bigger than life. But his fashion taste and very ordinary and cheap.

liberty33r1b said:
i knew Andre L. Talley had something to do with it! when i saw her outfit first time i just sensed it was his influence....one can only wonder why he wanted her to wear this "thing".

i don't always agree with his fashion choices, even though i always read his columns in vogue. he's also a very big fan of Renee Zellweger and he always loved everything she wore in the past, which i found somewhat odd since expect for that yellow vintage Jean Dessès number she always looks boring on the red carpet. he also loves Rachel Roy's style, which also is not very stylish or sophisticated. so, even though he's working at vogue, he really does not have the best fashion taste, and jennifer's outfit was just a prime example of this.

I know he's mentioned in past columns how boring he finds award show fashion these days. So I think he was trying to inject a little risk. Bravo to him for trying, but it just didn't work.

And it's very ungrateful of Jennifer to criticize him. She should have spoken up beforehand.

Frankly, not only will we never see her in Vogue again, but in a year or two, we'll never see her again PERIOD.

Jennika said:
I think it's foolish of her to say anything critical about ALT's dress choice (and Vogue by association)
not that the bolero wasn't awful, since it was, but it would be very bad public relations for her to piss off her greatest advocate. if she was gonna complain she should have done so before wearing the dress.
I agree, it seems to a foolish pr move to critique his choice publically AFTER the oscars. She should have critiqued it privately before hand.

I don't understand though, why is someone else telling her what to wear in the first place? :( Surely consultants don't have the last word?

Last edited by a moderator:
camm said:
Andre Leon Tally is ghetto. His taste is very pedestrian. He was exposed as a fake during the Oscars. Both with how he styled Jennifer and his little pre-show. He couldn't even pronounce Cate Blanchett's name properly -- and she is a total fashion goddess. Andre just got lucky because he is so ugly and in-your-face. His personality is bigger than life. But his fashion taste and very ordinary and cheap.

Meh, I don't care if a "fashion-person" can pronounce Cate Blanchett's name, can they pronounce Ghesquière? Proenza Schouler? Gaultier? Such names are much more important to me than the name of some celebrity that just happens to wear decent clothes.

On the topic of Jennifer Hudson though...she is kind of a made star. Coming from American Idol she probably felt as if it (the fame, the acting, the singing, vogue, the television appearances) could all fall out from under her at any moment. Now she's won an oscar for her very first acting job, she is probably much more sure of her position in Hollywood, and now feels cemented enough to speak up about things.

That's what I thought... no one is going to make me wear some hideous ensemble on one of the biggest nights of my life and career. Not even a fashion icon!
Yeah i see that but she's quite the "newbie" in fashion and the Hollywood life. She may not know how to turn them down or... make her own decision. She's obviously still trying to figure her way out.
Congrats on her Oscar though. She was amazing in Dreamgirls!!!

Wow, she missed the point of the oscars then didn't she. It's not about inspiring millions of people with your performance and being thanked for it..it's just about playing dress up. Congratulations Jennifer, you idiot.

Well, the pics she did for Vogue weren't exactly breathtaking..in fact I think they made her look pretty bad in them

I don't think her dress was all that bad... :ninja: but she could've looked much better and I think for a lot of actresses Oscar is the night the want to look their best. Especially if you're nominated.

I'm not even gonna mention the bolero :innocent:

beaverhausen said:
I don't think her dress was all that bad... :ninja: but she could've looked much better and I think for a lot of actresses Oscar is the night the want to look their best. Especially if you're nominated.

I'm not even gonna mention the bolero :innocent:
Well said.

I have to say that I was thinking "Klingon!" when I saw her outfit. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->