Jennifer Lopez says she deserves an Oscar

Actually, she is capable of giving good to great performances (Selena, Out of Sight and An Unfinished Life), but she wasn't very good in El Cantante. The fact that she said she was Oscar-worthy makes you think how many actors sign up for projects solely because they think they might win an Oscar for it (as much as I like Kate Winslet, I think she falls into this category)?

The fact that she said she was Oscar-worthy makes you think how many actors sign up for projects solely because they think they might win an Oscar for it (as much as I like Kate Winslet, I think she falls into this category)?

This actually reminds me of the beef I've kinda had with Charlize Theron. I thought both Monster and North Country that followed it, were roles that she chose primarily for their Oscar-quality. And although I think her Monster performance was definitely worth the praise she got for it, her involvement in North Country just kind of struck me as being in search for that second one. And she almost pulled it off -- I'm pretty sure she was nominated a second time, even if she didn't win.

Last week, as part of an ongoing comeback that has so far involved singing a song about some shoes and not much else, Lopez gave two oddly defensive interviews to two different magazines. First she told Elle that her romantic comedies like Maid in Manhattan and Monster-in-Law were much better than everyone thought because "nothing that's ****ty is going to make $100m", and then she informed Latina that she probably deserved to win an Oscar for her portrayal of Puchi Lavoe in the 2007 Héctor Lavoe biopic El Cantante. While it's easy to find flaws in her arguments – like the fact that Alvin & The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel has grossed more than $100m and that the four people who saw El Cantante generally hated it – does Lopez have a point? Have her other interests, like her music, her perfume, her love life and her big bottom, blinded us to the fact that deep-down she's actually a world-class actor?
Probably not, no. She might have been able to back up statements like that a decade ago, when she was nominated for a Golden Globe for Selena, or when Out of Sight and U-Turn singled her out as an actor with great things ahead of her – or even when she took a chance by making the beautiful but incomprehensible The Cell – but thanks to her natural attraction to rubbish, that all seems like ancient history.
Now Lopez is so busy trying to make money and win awards that she's forgotten how to do either. Her new movie The Back-Up Plan looks like a dimwitted retread of every other formulaic romcom she's ever made, and her last two serious attempts at Oscar bait – El Cantante and Bordertown – were such cack-handedly incompetent stabs at winning the Academy over that she may as well have written "For Your Consideration" across her forehead at the start of every take. Bordertown didn't even get a theatrical release in America, which technically makes it worse than Gigli and Jersey Girl combined. Unthinkable, isn't it?
Maybe if she started to put a little more thought into her roles, then maybe we might see flashes of what made Lopez such a prospect in the 1990s. How she'd do this is up to her – maybe she could join a low-budget ensemble project or work with a director unafraid to bully her into a great performance – but it seems like puncturing her ego would be a good start. Until she does that, it's hard to see how Lopez can ever do anything that's even a tenth as good as she thinks she is.
Until then, I've heard that some of her perfumes are OK. And you can still buy Maid In Manhattan on DVD from Amazon for 81p ...

excerpt from a review of her latest movie "backup plan" from the guardian. (guardian.co.uk)

Well i think that while she may think she deserves and oscar, and even be right about it, just be quiet girl, academy choses whatever they like, and saying it looks conceited and pretentious. ....

Last week, as part of an ongoing comeback that has so far involved singing a song about some shoes and not much else, Lopez gave two oddly defensive interviews to two different magazines.

This reminds me of the way she got herself press coverage at the start of her career by pretending to badmouth other people's acting. She's a commercial powerhouse, that's for sure, but that side of her won't catch people's attention as much as a invented diva persona will. And she's still got perfumes and films to shift, so she's back at work on the PR front as well. I imagine she does have a magnified perception about herself, but a lot of what she's doing at the moment as part of this comeback seems laboured to me, a really deliberate attempt to stir up headlines at a time when things have moved on, and everyone's looking at Lady GaGa instead.

Maybe the thing that brought her so much financial success is also her greatest fault - diversification. It means she's never really concentrated on one career with the total dedication that brings authentic results on an artistic level. I do admire her business sense, but if she wants to be respected as an artist, an entirely different approach might be needed. And some entirely different PR.

Last week, as part of an ongoing comeback that has so far involved singing a song about some shoes and not much else, Lopez gave two oddly defensive interviews to two different magazines. First she told Elle that her romantic comedies like Maid in Manhattan and Monster-in-Law were much better than everyone thought because "nothing that's ****ty is going to make $100m", and then she informed Latina that she probably deserved to win an Oscar for her portrayal of Puchi Lavoe in the 2007 Héctor Lavoe biopic El Cantante. While it's easy to find flaws in her arguments – like the fact that Alvin & The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel has grossed more than $100m and that the four people who saw El Cantante generally hated it – does Lopez have a point? Have her other interests, like her music, her perfume, her love life and her big bottom, blinded us to the fact that deep-down she's actually a world-class actor?
Probably not, no. She might have been able to back up statements like that a decade ago, when she was nominated for a Golden Globe for Selena, or when Out of Sight and U-Turn singled her out as an actor with great things ahead of her – or even when she took a chance by making the beautiful but incomprehensible The Cell – but thanks to her natural attraction to rubbish, that all seems like ancient history.
Now Lopez is so busy trying to make money and win awards that she's forgotten how to do either. Her new movie The Back-Up Plan looks like a dimwitted retread of every other formulaic romcom she's ever made, and her last two serious attempts at Oscar bait – El Cantante and Bordertown – were such cack-handedly incompetent stabs at winning the Academy over that she may as well have written "For Your Consideration" across her forehead at the start of every take. Bordertown didn't even get a theatrical release in America, which technically makes it worse than Gigli and Jersey Girl combined. Unthinkable, isn't it?
Maybe if she started to put a little more thought into her roles, then maybe we might see flashes of what made Lopez such a prospect in the 1990s. How she'd do this is up to her – maybe she could join a low-budget ensemble project or work with a director unafraid to bully her into a great performance – but it seems like puncturing her ego would be a good start. Until she does that, it's hard to see how Lopez can ever do anything that's even a tenth as good as she thinks she is.
Until then, I've heard that some of her perfumes are OK. And you can still buy Maid In Manhattan on DVD from Amazon for 81p ...

excerpt from a review of her latest movie "backup plan" from the guardian. (guardian.co.uk)

I seriously LOL'ed my a** off reading this because it's dead on.

Jennika thanks for the list of nominees for 2006 and 2007. Obviously J.LO is delusional. El Cantante was horrible! The only good thing about it was the chemistry between J.LO and Marc Anthony; but the acting was terrible. I mean, didn't the movie get boo'ed during a screening and she ended up crying? I guess that kinda ruined her ego.

And (in most cases at least) having chemistry with your husband isn't called acting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Calvin Stark
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->