Jennifer Hudson: "I'd Change My Oscar Dress"

Vogue's Talley vs. 'Dreamgirl' Hudson in Couture Catfight

Thanks to a Vogue editor, Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson also nabbed the night's worst-dressed award

By Diane Clehane – March 2, 2007
mediabistro

Newly-minted Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson might have been awarded the coveted gold statuette for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Dreamgirls, but she came up the evening's biggest fashion loser, thanks to her style mentor Andre Leon Talley of Vogue. Now the former BFFs are in the middle of a couture catfight that could become a public relations nightmare for the fashion bible.
The magazine's editor-at-large, in his self-described role as Hudson's "red carpet stylist" for the Academy Awards, chose the unflattering Oscar de la Renta dress and bizarre metallic capelet that was roundly ridiculed and destined to go down in Oscar Infamy. The ensemble earned Hudson the title of the night's worst-dressed actress from virtually every outlet that covered the ceremony.
Evidently, the criticism stung. During her post-awards show appearance on Today, when asked by Matt Lauer if she could do anything over about her Oscar night experience, the starlet replied, "I would have worn another outfit."
Oops.
After getting wind of some snickering directed at her on the red carpet, Hudson lost the bolero by the time she made her acceptance speech, and changed gowns before she entered the press room with her award.
Hudson is Vogue's March cover girl. Inside the issue, Talley breathlessly recounts the two divas' search for the perfect Oscar dress for Hudson that took them to the Gotham showrooms of Chanel, Vera Wang and de la Renta. Hudson's comments at the time, as recounted by Talley, take on a whole new meaning. "There is something funky about the combination," Hudson says. "It's bad, as in bad means 'It is great.'" Talley writes of feeling like "a proud uncle" upon seeing his fashion protégé in his selection.
Behind the seams, fashion insiders are whispering that the couture catfight between Talley and Hudson started before she even got into her limo. mediabistro.com confirmed the New York Post report that stylist Jessica Paster had arranged for Hudson to wear a glitzy Roberto Cavalli dress for her walk down the red carpet. Reportedly, Talley threw a hissy fit when he found out, causing Hudson to relent and ultimately go with his ill-fated choice. After getting wind of some snickering directed at her on the red carpet, Hudson lost the bolero by the time she made her acceptance speech, and changed into the Cavalli before she entered the press room with her award.
Now, with Hudson indirectly dissing Talley on Today, the kidskin gloves are off -- and fashionistas are taking sides in the tiff. Wednesday at Michael's (a favorite haunt of Talley's -- he even brought Hudson there for a pre Oscar coming-out of sorts), insiders weighed in on the battle. "I can't believe she said that on national TV," says one friend of Talley's. "She's so green. That was really ill-advised and probably a costly mistake." Another interested party says Talley deserves a drubbing: "What was he thinking? Why would he choose something so hideous for her on the biggest night of her life. It's really odd. Talk about being out of Vogue!"

Well.. she's just an ingrateful brat. I really can't see big projects coming her way.

She shouldn't bite that hand that feeds her, especially when that hand belongs to Andre Leon Talley. Granted, I dont respect him at all, but he has power.

I am glad ALT is being publicly humiliated. He is way to cocky about his ***-backwards style. I don't know what kind of negative affects this is really going to have on an oscar winning actress. What is he going to do? try to stop her from being on another Vogue cover? So what, its not like she is related to the fashion industry in any way and Conde Naste cares more about money than Andre's feelings so it isn't as if should she have a legit reason to grace one of their other covers later he can stop it.

I think people think ALT has more power than he does. I also think people don't understand that JHud probably spoke up as much as she could considering....

Er, she said she would change her dress, that's not attacking to me. Whatever, her frickkin' bolero could never compare to Demi Moore's biker shorts, Bjork's swan dress or pretty much anything Cher has ever worn in her entire career. Oy vey, she wore a silly looking bolero to the Oscars. Fashion is so boring now that THIS is a huge scandal? I mean, come on! YAWN!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->