Josh Goot for Target Australia

Reaction score
Get it while it's Goot: Target stitches up another designer dynamo

We've seen McCartney-mania. Is it time for a Josh juggernaut? Two months after Target shelves around the country were stripped bare within minutes of the arrival of a Stella McCartney collaboration collection, Target Australia plans to unveil a top secret project with one of Australia's brightest fashion lights, Josh Goot.

Target is the principle sponsor of Goot's Fashion Week show on Thursday May 3 at 9.00am - and its logo appears on the invitation. But although neither the Target or Goot camps were spilling any other beans this afternoon, Fashion Season has learned that a Josh Goot/Target collaboration is due be either announced or else unveiled at Target in mid May.
It won't be without precedent of course in this market. Last year Target unveiled several styles from three other Australian labels, Alice McCall, Tina Kalivas and TL Wood, under the Designers For Target umbrella. A Target spokeswoman declined to confirm or deny whether Goot was the only Australian fashion brand involved with this latest Designers For Target project.
"I can't tell you anything other than Target are supporting me on this show" Goot told Fashion Season. "It's great to have their support - I think they've shown a commitment to young Australian designers over the past year".
The Stella McCartney range was sold in 100 Target stores around Australia. The 42-piece collection ranged in price from $29.99 for a scarf to $199.99 for a trenchcoat. Selling out in most stores within minutes, according to Target sources it was the retailer's most successful sales day ever in this market.
So just what might Josh Goot For Target look like? Dripping, most likely, in the designer's signature urban sport aesthetic.

Goot, now 27, made his runway debut at Fashion Week in May 2004 with a print-heavy streetwear brand called Platform. Launched a few months later his eponymous collection boasted a leitmotiv of "tailored comfort", with a simple concept: constructed wardrobe classics of the type normally made from woven fabrics, the trenchcoat, the blazer and trousers etc..., but fashioned instead from cotton jersey T-shirting. The entire, machine-washable collection came in grey marle, charcoal marle and silver. It earned Goot the 2005 Tiffany & Co Young Designer of The Year Award.
Goot's May 2005 Fashion Week show made an impact here and several months later, the front cover of high-profile US industry newspaper WWD. The brand was immediately picked up by prestigious London retailer Browns Focus and then swiftly by other key international retailers, notably the Colette emporium in Paris and Henri Bendel in New York.
In September last year Goot debuted at New York fashion week - with US Vogue later heralding him as the designer who kicked off the SS07 season's urban sport mood.
Goot showed for the second consecutive season in New York in February. He is committed to showing back in New York in September.
"This is the fourth show we've done in a year which is insane and it won't happen again" said Goot of next week's show, his southern hemisphere SS0708/international resort collection. "I felt that I hadn't finished the job here in this market. As far as positioning the brand and expressing the brand philosophy and mapping out our distribution, all these types of things, I think we have a little way to go, and hopefully the show will be another piece in the puzzle".
Apart from whatever promotion Target may be planning for the Goot project in mid May, could next week be the last Josh Goot show downunder?
"I wouldn't want to say that because that's got a lot of finality to it" said Goot. "I really enjoy showing here. It's in a sense much easeir than showing overseas. It's your own backyard. And I know how much of a role the Australian industry played in helping us build this brand. We've enjoyed a lot of support and in a sense I feel like showing once a year [here] is the least we can do to I suppose keep everyone's interest and kind of say thank-you".
It's only speculation I guess, but it IS true that I got a Target newsletter saying announcements on a new line will come on May 16. [also found here: http://www.designersfortarget.com.au/menu.htm] And if Target was the major sponsor in his RAFW show... seems practical putting both together. I wonder how Australia will react to it, if it is Josh Goot. As crazy as Stella for Target? Or less?

Cred to SMH

Last edited by a moderator:
i love his clothes! they're sporting and casual ^_^ fingers crossed this is true

Who is Josh Goot anyway?
Galliano should work with Target in the first place because the world are so enamoured by him...

i read this yesterday...
i think it will definately happen, why else would you have target as a sponsor?

i guess i wouldn't be unhappy if he collaborated with target as i love his stuff, but i don't want to go through the whole lining up and then ripping from maniquins saga again...

i guess i wouldn't be unhappy if he collaborated with target as i love his stuff, but i don't want to go through the whole lining up and then ripping from maniquins saga again...

that won't happen. he doesnt have the profile of stella.

I wonder if people who live outside sydney have heard of Josh Goot or not. He doesn't get that much of attention from Austrlian media. well not as much as Kusbi or Saas&Bide. But I really like his clothes. They are simple and wearable and no crazy colours.

Could someone post some pics of his stuff? Sounds interesting.

thanks hon, i really like it. He seems some kind of crossover between Stella and Toni Maticevski doing more sport stuff. Although i doubt that there will be as much fuss about him as Stella, which is a shame.

I completely love his things, particularly the jersey he uses and the cut of his clothes. I hope he can bring this across to his target line.

And I must say, I hope it doesnt become like stella mania: that was exhausting!!

manolocraver said:
Who is Josh Goot anyway?
He's a talented, young fashion designer from Sydney and one of the few from Australia who's been able to break into the international fashion scene, having shown at NY fashion week on more than one occasion. :wink:

songbirdsel said:
Could someone post some pics of his stuff? Sounds interesting.
Josh Goot F/W 07-08 NY
Josh Goot S/S 07 NY

I agree with Gazillion on the no-crazy-colours! Love Mr. Goot. :heart:

news.com.au

Attachments

• jg1.jpg
    jg1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 369
  • jg2.jpg
    jg2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 14
  • jg3.jpg
    jg3.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 5
catwalkqueen.tv via getty

Attachments

• jg4.jpg
    jg4.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 10
  • jg5.jpg
    jg5.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 9
more pics from news.com.au

i like this collection actually. the materials used are very interesting. i like the idea of a jersey trench a lot! i think i like the black mettalic-looking dress the best. love the styling for this collection.

Attachments

• josh5.jpg
    josh5.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 3
  • josh4.jpg
    josh4.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 2
  • josh3.jpg
    josh3.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 2
  • josh2.jpg
    josh2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 3
  • josh1.jpg
    josh1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 2
  • josh6.jpg
    josh6.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 278
  • josh7.jpg
    josh7.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 278
  • josh8.jpg
    josh8.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 280
  • josh9.jpg
    josh9.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 277
  • josh10.jpg
    josh10.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 274
Goot targets designer market
By Jen Melocco
May 16, 2007 12:00
SYDNEY designer Josh Goot has made his mark selling his exclusive range to the top fashion stores around the world.
But the biggest coup for the young designer, who has his slick minimalist style clothes on the rails at Colette in Paris and Henri Bendel in New York, is that he is now to be stocked at Target.
Three months after the launch of Stella McCartney's exclusive range caused near stampedes in Target stores around Australia, Goot's range will go on sale in 60 Target stores on June 19.
Click here for an exclusive sneak-peek of the colourful range.
"I believe in the idea of taking my idea to a wider audience," said Mr Goot today at the launch of his Josh Goot for Target range.
"And we've been able to create clothes which look like they are worth a lot more money than they actually are."

The price of his signature trenchcoats in metallic and grey marle have been knocked down to $129.99 in his Target range.
Racer back rib tanks at $59.99 are the cheapest in the range, which will go into 60 Target stores on June 19.
There's also sleek jersey dresses, which clearly mirror those from his recent collections for $89.99.
Mr Goot is the latest designer to create a collection for a discount store.
Target in Australia recently launched the Stella McCartney for Target range.
Well known Australian designer Alice McCall has also completed a range for the discount department store.
Target in the US have also embraced the designer concept with hot New York label Proenza Schouler causing a stir when they launched their range at New York Fashion Week in February.
I am expecting, and hoping, that this will be a lot better than the Stella range. They seem very wearable!!
From news.com.au

e196662c.jpg

via www.nitrolicious.com

i've posted bigger images or the sneak-peak on my site if anyone's interested.

more here:

http://www.nitrolicious.com/blog/2007/05/16/josh-goot-for-target-australia/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->