Kanye West DW F/W 12.13 Paris

People are sooooo quick to shoot this guy down before he even begins and it's sad. I definitely agree with loladonna

"Remove Kanye's name and affiliation from this collection and probably 50% of the criticism would go away."

OR remove his name and 50% of the defending him would go away... maybe more actually.

As mentioned in my previous message can someone post a comparison of Kanyes collection and Jlos 'sweetface'? I think they look really similar....

This is horrible:
Let me tell you about this most ghastly of ‘fabrics’. Astrakhan is the fur of an unborn lamb. Yes, a foetus. The sheep is slaughtered, and the unborn lamb is ripped from her womb, its coat still curly and unformed...Kanye West also used crocodile skin, and fox fur for bags, back packs and huge arm warmers...Okay, so the reason the rapper used so much fur, so many foetuses, so much ‘exotic’ skin (crocodiles are routinely pole-axed, and take many hours to die)?... Well, for one, he was undoubtedly sponsored, probably by Saga furs, the body that governs and promotes the fur trade in north America. Second, he has no ideas, or anything new to give us. He doesn’t know how to cut a pattern, or construct a seam, or even sew a buttonhole.
(dailymail review)

So many animals died pointlessly just to end up in such an ugly collection. For shame.

I think loladonna has a valid point, though, that the press/industry have their favourites who they never/rarely ever give a bad review to, so they give the bad reviews to the lesser known houses, those less favoured. Or they are deliberately ambiguous, leaving the reader wondering, did they like it? Was that a positive review?? Lol.

That said, I think this collection deserves the criticism mainly because it doesn't look good to me: for me it has nothing to do with who he is: I don't like the hems on the skirts, I don't like the usage of fur, I don't like the vamp vibe here because it's mixed with hoochie; I prefer a more gothic vamp or a retrovamp. My not liking the collection is divorced from Kanye's persona. Maybe that is the case with the fashion reviewers too. But the question as to why they seem rarely to write bad reviews about the bigger collections still lingers...

And yeah, Paris was a letdown overall for me. Honestly I saw more I liked in London and NYC than Milan or Paris...and usually Paris is my utter favourite hands down.

Kanye West is a fashion snob, not a fashion designer. Just because you like fashion doesn't mean you can design fashion. Just because you're rich enough to afford designer clothing, it doesn't mean you can design designer clothing. This is the main problem with celebrity designers.
Also, just from his quotes, Kanye West sounds like such an immature brat. "Treated unfairly?" :lol: What an idiot. If you're gonna show in Paris and show this garbage then you're gonna get shat on. No one is going to stop to care about your celebrity status and no serious editor is gonna hold back. This is fashion, not your fan club.

Just to add to what's already been said about why people are so quick to shoot him down...

As if it's not bad enough that he's essentially an outsider who desperately wants to be taken seriously, that he's not at all qualified to do what it is that he's doing, and that he doesn't seem to have any raw/innate talent or a halfway interesting sensibility, he's ARROGANT about work that, were it to come from an established designer would be ripped apart by the press, and from a fledgling would be ignored entirely. Not only that, but when his work was criticized by a group of professionals, he lashed out like a spoiled brat because they didn't collectively die of excitement and he felt they should have. Is it really any wonder that a lot of people, myself included, have absolutely no patience for him?

As for this collection, yes it's a bit less sloppy (although it still leaves a lot to be desired in the basic construction/finishing department) but I don't think that the look, the taste level or the point of view are improved at all. It's still unimaginative, tacky and clumsy. And those multi-strapped boots are the f***ing devil.

Stick to music, Kanye. Stick. To. Music.

heather anne....you nailed it right on the head. while some are so quick to bash critics,the opposite can certainly be said for those disillusioned who defend this rubbish. it can certainly be deemed just as biased.

kanye or not,this is still horrid. it looks cheap,it looks redundant and it looks absolutely atrociously amateurish. i've seen better work from a hack contestant on project runway. and as far as kanye playing the victim routine....as anybody surprised? his ego is as big as paris. (btw is it wrong to wish the arrogant side of parisians come out?)

what i find really sad is that we're so concerned with the pretension of some wannabe hack entertainer,but there are so many designers,fantastic designers,mind you,we no longer see get coverage anymore.

This is BAD, plain and simple. No excuses.

Kanye or no Kanye
Bad taste, good taste, or no taste
Paris or no Paris
Kim Kardashian or no Kim Kardashian
Ego, disillusionment, hype, what have you, none of it matters

These clothes are poorly designed, poorly cut, poorly constructed, poorly fit, and poorly styled. That wouldn't change if it were Kanye or if it were John Doe.

And yes, unborn lambs did die for this.

Should've been shown during Los Angeles Fashion Week. Perhaps the press there would not ask hard questions, and they'd smile and nod more.

Good point! :lol: This collection is very LA fashion-looking! Very amateurish, very artificial, and very bad-taste.

Based on the interview it seems like he's hypersensitive which could explain some of his egotism. Insecure but needs to boast to feel better about himself.

Kanye's not a designer and just because there's some interest in fashion doesn't changes it.

I completely hate to say this but it looks like Kanye was actually better than some of the big names this season haha. It also had a pretty decent cast too

As much as I am not a fan of this collection, this article is nonsense! The author obviously has a person grudge against Mr West. Kanye is not the first designer to use astrakhan fur or crocodile skin let alone the only designer to do so this season. If she is so against it then she should also include all the major houses in the article. The collection was not good and we all know that but to single him out for using fur & croc leather when so many other designers used a lot more is highly unprofessional. Also, trying to make Arizona feel guilty for wearing that coat is really the hight of it all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on his 2 shows so far, I think the next one is going to be just the same, only in grey tones. ^_^

Kanye West is a fashion snob, not a fashion designer. Just because you like fashion doesn't mean you can design fashion. Just because you're rich enough to afford designer clothing, it doesn't mean you can design designer clothing. This is the main problem with celebrity designers.
Also, just from his quotes, Kanye West sounds like such an immature brat. "Treated unfairly?" :lol: What an idiot. If you're gonna show in Paris and show this garbage then you're gonna get shat on. No one is going to stop to care about your celebrity status and no serious editor is gonna hold back. This is fashion, not your fan club.

well said!

In a totally unironic, not being a smartie pants way, was Kanye the only designer to real animal fur/skin this season?

^exactly. Yet no one bats an eye when the other designers do it

Hermes has always used leather, crocodile, alligator, ostrich and countless other animal skin and furs.
Everyone always went gaga over those collections

Kanye needs to pop into the Paco Rabanne thread to see what real fashion design looks like. Ie, how to incorporate fur trim without making it look like long chest hair.

^exactly. Yet no one bats an eye when the other designers do it

Hermes has always used leather, crocodile, alligator, ostrich and countless other animal skin and furs.
Everyone always went gaga over those collections

Yeah right! Many houses have been shredded for using fur and rare leathers. Including Fendi and Hermes, whose prestige and heritage was founded on their fur/leather goods. And even they adapted to the issue of animal cruelty. Kanye West on the other hand has no fashion history whatsoever so why is he using fur now? Does he think it's gonna earn him prestige? :rolleyes:
Anyway, I've had enough of trying to convince people that his place is not in Paris nor fashion in general. We already have to put up with his music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marinamelolp
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->