Kanye West DW F/W 12.13 Paris

make up is awful

but the collection is better than Givenchy's! Not that it says much.

This looks so poorly designed

AkBJI.jpg

vogue.co.uk

^I was about to say the same thing about Arizona's coat. For some reason it gives me the impression of chest hair. Yuck.

The make up is just sad.

I cannot believe that there are people who find this better than McQueen and Givenchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, he had a ton of consultants, so I'm not surprised it improved. I actually liked the shoes last season and I'm not sure why it took so long for them to get as much publicity as they have lately...they are unique.

I'm sorry but this collection is pretty awful. Like others have said it's just a mash-up of other designer's works. I think I would respect Kanye more as a designer if he actually made a collection in which it's apparent he found his own inspiration for rather then looking to what's already been done. In some ways I think it's better to be a designer first and then become well known because you have time to figure out what you like and don't like and how to make a cohesive collection without a lot of scrutiny. But if you are famous before you start designing clothes it can be very hard to make a good impression because there is so much more pressure. I'm not a fan of Kanye's but I respect that he has an interest in the fashion industry and that he wants to be a part of it. However, I think maybe in this case, he needs to hone in on what his particular inspiration comes from rather then relying on what others have already done before he makes another collection.

If Taylor Swift can wear Dw for Harper Bazaar, I say it's time we all give Kanye West's collection a chance. You can't say this isn't a huge improvement from last time. The clothes actually fit this time.

I'm sorry, but if those boots were seen on just the right fashionistas and socialites, they could definitely be "it" boots. They're sorta like Vivienne Westwood pirate boots, but less punky and more evening appropriate. #hatersgonnahate

That's standard? Taylor Swift? That makes the situation even more sad.

All celebrities have no business in designing. To even call Kanye a designer is such a slap to the faces of real designers and the work they do. If he decides to do it 24/7, then maybe I'll take him serious, but until then, I can't and I won't respect someone that does it on the side with help. He is making such a mockery out of the industry. Stop polluting the industry with your so called designs. Sitting front row and having the cash does not make you an expert and it certainly does not begin to make you a designer.
Posted via Mobile Device

it's a very sad day in fashion when you like kanye west's collection more than chanel and mcqueen. :|

That's standard? Taylor Swift? That makes the situation even more sad.

All celebrities have no business in designing. To even call Kanye a designer is such a slap to the faces of real designers and the work they do. If he decides to do it 24/7, then maybe I'll take him serious, but until then, I can't and I won't respect someone that does it on the side with help. He is making such a mockery out of the industry. Stop polluting the industry with your so called designs. Sitting front row and having the cash does not make you an expert and it certainly does not begin to make you a designer.
Posted via Mobile Device

In all fairness, Kanye probably spends as much time overseeing the creative direction of his brand as Michael Kors or Marc Jacobs at this point- if I'm not mistaken, they all have plenty of people behind the scenes doing the actual designing, even if they do have the final say as to what goes out on the runway and what gets produced. Seems to me like some celebrities (Gwen Stefani, Nicole Richie) just have better teams than others. Chances are some of his designers used to work for industry heavyhitters at one point or another.

I understand there is always a design team behind a fashion house, but to say Kanye is equal to that of a designer? Sorry, I refuse to believe that and his collections show. What you just said really devalued the work and the job of designers.

Marc (and I'm not a fan of his) has a team to help continue and further his ideas. Kanye has a team to help him because he lacks experience. Marc went to Parson, the man understands designing and knows how to make clothes. Kanye has no knowledge whatsoever. To even say he is equal to someone like MJ and MK is ludicrous.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nothing screams Paris. I think he should present his collection in New York. Not that it's a good collection, but certainly it fits better there. :ninja:

yea it's a mashup of all of his inspirations, but it actually came across quite decent!

In my opinion, it's kind of like how Marc Jacobs is so obviously inspired by Miuccia Prada that some of his designs (structurally) end up looking like hers a season or two after. I can't think of many collections where I can't see some pieces obviously inspired by the great names of fashion history.

give him a break. not just in comparison to last season or even PFW.
this is just pretty good for his second collection.

I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread... Are people just tired or simply under the choc that it's not as bad as his latest collection -- which, let's face it, was on the top three of the worst collections of the season?

Everything is just vulgar. What he offers is more consistent compared to last season but it's still really questionable in terms of design ('the hell is that 4th look? That fur top/vest/jacket in #24?). The styling is also quite awful (a pale pink fur coat paired with a leather outfit? Screams epitome of elegance, right?).

Bref, Mr West is a fashion lover - he attends as much shows as there are rip offs in his collection - but he will never be a good designer. If he wanted to "create", why didn't he do a capsule collection for whoever he wanted? Please, oh please Kanye, call it a nice experience and don't make us go through this every season for the next five years.

Oh god, thank you ! The collection is tacky and it's a mix of different looks that kanye west loves but cheaper.

This is surprisingly better than last season. Still, it is not original and looks very ordinary. I don't know how much I can stress this but this is not Paris material. I wish he had cast his net wider by offering more looks. What Mr West needs to do now is actually research more on what he wants the identity of his brand to be. Right now, Mr West has more of a distinct identity as a person. It would be better if he translated that identity into women's wear rather than being pretentious and trying to be trendy. I think he still needs more time but this is a step in a better direction when it comes to the fit of the clothes.

I understand there is always a design team behind a fashion house, but to say Kanye is equal to that of a designer? Sorry, I refuse to believe that and his collections show. What you just said really devalued the work and the job of designers.

Marc (and I'm not a fan of his) has a team to help continue and further his ideas. Kanye has a team to help him because he lacks experience. Marc went to Parson, the man understands designing and knows how to make clothes. Kanye has no knowledge whatsoever. To even say he is equal to someone like MJ and MK is ludicrous.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well neither of the Mulleavy's went to fashion school; not only did Vera Wang not go to fashion school, but she also had the financial backing of wealthy parents.

I'm certainly not saying he's equal to either of those men in terms of skill or talent; but he does seem to be taking this very seriously, and, given his internships with some major labels, has more design experience than many young designers who decide to start their own line. Ragging on the clothes themselves is totally fine and, to be honest, merited; but chalking it up entirely to the fact that he also happens to be a really successful rapper is kind of unfair to me.

I liked it in general but like many others here I still don't know what his brand's identity is. Who is this woman, what is her attitude, where is she going in these clothes?
Was he ever interviewed about the inspiration for these 2 collections?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marinamelolp
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->