Karl Lagerfeld's Chanel successor revealed?

Miss Dalloway

Reaction score
So crazy, and better not be true!

Tommy Ton, of street-style blog Jak & Jil, intrigued us with this bombshell tweet during Paris Fashion Week: “I received some news tonight that is going to SHAKE the fashion world in the next two days. CRAZY!!!!”
Several minutes later, this update came: “I can't tell. I swore I'd zip the lip but I'll tell you my mouth nearly dropped to the ground when the news was whispered into my ear.”

We at grazia.com.au think we might know what this earth-shattering news might be – with rumours circulating that Karl Lagerfeld’s tenure at Chanel is coming to an end and none other than Alber Elbaz will be announced as his successor. There’s no doubt the talented Lanvin designer is more than capable of filling Big Karl’s CC-logoed shoes.

Stay tuned for the official announcement, which is expected to come very, very soon…
//grazia.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=616823&showcomments=true

The Chanel CEO will have to carry him out kicking and screaming.

This is a resurrection of an old rumour and I don't think we have any more new on it other than Grazia Aus (and now everyone else) conjecturing on Tommy Ton's tweet. But then Grazia sound quite sure of it, so perhaps they do know more.

You think u know but u have NO idea. Sorry, it isn't my place to
announce this news. You'll know exactly what I'm talking about soon

27 minutes ago on twitter.com/JakandJilBlog

Oh thanks God! I hope this is not just a rumour, because I'm already sick of Karl's disaster.

EDIT: tarsha... those are really sad news for me xD

I seriously can't imagine who would replace Karl. We cannot think of Chanel without thinking in Karl anymore

No I don t want him to leave
I can t imagine someone else doing what he does at Chanel but ya I read that about Elbaz

If Karl left Chanel, I would start wondering what he'd do instead, because that man never rests. He'd have to fill the space with something. You really do get the impression that for him to stop working, he'd have to be dead. So if someone replaces him at Chanel, what's going to replace Chanel in Karl's schedule? Unless he's content to downscale to his other commitments.

I don't want Elbaz to leave Lanvin! He is doing so well at the moment, and while I didn't like Lagerfeld's last collection for Chanel, I still believe that he is a great match for Chanel.

i dunno what to say...i really can't imagine Chanel without Karl but at the same time i can't help but wondering how it would be with Elbaz.....

This could explain Karl's horrid F/W 2010 collection. Maybe it was his 'F U' to the CEO's :rolleyes:

If Alber does go to Chanel, I'm sure he'll stay at Lanvin. There's no reason not to. I do love the idea of Alber at Chanel. It's time Chanel gets a fresh makeover.

Chanel just sent out this statement:

Please note that Karl Lagerfeld is the Creative Designer of CHANEL and has a long-term contract with the company. Replacing him is not an issue.

At least it didn’t take them long to shut down the rumor mill this time. We expect that when it does come time for Karl to step down he’ll do so with such fanfare that last week’s glaciers will look like snow cones.

Meanwhile, Tommy Ton tweets that watching Style.com’s videos from Paris might help solve this earth shattering mystery everyone’s talking about.

fashionista

Last edited by a moderator:
the rumor has been around MANY times. like before his FW couture show, everyone said he was showing before sunset as something symbolic before he left and whatever...
everyone said the successor would be Elbaz back then too.

to me, it doesnt make any sense at all, and i'd be greatly surprised if it was true.

first, the company has denied it. many times. they are making more money with karl than they could've ever wished for. alber is great and all among fashionistas, but karl is an icon, their best publicity. it's not only his designs that sell, it's him, the persona, the character, the workaholic that appeals to everything between classy ladies in their 70s, and brandwh*res in their early 20s. who would fire the creative mastermind that has allowed you to increase the price of your bags by 20% in this previous quarted, as in the middle of a recession?

second, if ever was karl to retire (not that he seems to have any interest in that, but he could be after all forced to), what makes people think Elbaz would be eligible for that?
I was discussing with a friend today how the possibility seems just as odd as Carine Roitfeld taking over Anna Wintour's Vogue.
Yes, it has been said many times. Yes, the magazine may be able to benefit "creatively" and it would be the perfect DevilWearsPrada story. But the truth of the matter is that from a business perspective, not in a Hollywood scrip, nobody thinks it's possible.
Just as Carine can't go from publishing a magazine with a 300000 readership, to one of the biggest fashion books of the industry. It's different business, different scales, different leagues.
We are talking about Alber Elbaz, him who seems to struggle reinventing himself in time to present 2 collections a year (+2 tiny resort and prefall).
Who can see him changing his intimate approach to the Lanvin woman, for Chanel's 8+ collections of fashion stravaganza? I've heard people even make connections between Elbaz, and Saint Laurent, and how Chanel was the house Saint Laurent would've always wanted to take over, and whatever...
The point of the thing is the commercial pressure chez Chanel is huge. It's not about selling beautiful cocktail dresses and "putting the woman first" (Suzy Menkes dixit). It's all about making the whole bags+beauty+lifestyle engine work. It's a pressure not even Galliano or Marc Jacobs have to face (despite business volume, it's more a matter of all the pressure being concentrated in one person, in one sole message from the house).

on another note, why would Tommy Ton tweet that and now leave us all dying to know!!???!!! :buzz:

Maybe it's Marc leaving LV? What he says at the end of the LV vid sounds very much like a farewell: "It's been a very emotional season, but now that it's over, it's been a good experience." (something like that)

If so, I don't know what I'm gonna do. I'll ask my roommate however to tie me to my bed so that I won't jump out the window.

I'm going to watch all the Style.com videos and see what oddities I can pick up on! :lol: :innocent:

so...chanel denied the elbaz replacement. phew. and i was going crazy on the first page. personally, looking at how elbaz is handling lanvin, i dont know if he is ready to take on the big double c. having to live up to the chanel lifestyle is not something i can imagine him doing. can you imagine what will happen to alber if he has to restrict his diet to 1 spoon of nutella a day?

what were the style.com videos ton was talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aza
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->