Laser Hair Removal

NOT buying a package sounds pretty darn attractive...i don't have a grand to pay all at once...

and after each appt. did the hair fall out? i heard thats what happens...

everytime i open allure or elle i read horror stories about these one person operations...:unsure: i think im going to have to do a lot more research...

at the same time i dont want to be having this done when i am 30+ and kicking myself for not getting it done earlier...

i had been successfully getting electrolysis at the place for a while (the woman was recommended by my aunt who has been going there forever for hair removal on various areas)...
so i felt confident about doing the laser treatments there..

the hair at first appears to be growing, but yes it does fall out...
i don't remember if i noticed actual hairs falling out but you will notice that the hair becomes sparse/less dense/finer...
all of which are great things.. ^_^

you can definitely notice a difference ever after one treatment..

i had a really good experience with laser..
and so did my sister who also got it done at the same place..

lucy, DO IT DO IT DO IT!! I've said it a million times but I'll say it again, it was the best thing I've done for myself.

and now I'm waiting to start my legs. my dad has agreed to pay for it but says he wont' pay for face and leg treatments in the same month, yet my dermatologist won't stop with the facial treatments yet, every time I go she says "schedule one more." and it's not cause she wants the money cause the legs are like 3 times as much each time :doh:

has anybody tried epilar? is it available in Canada, does anybody know?

^^my laser lady said that waxing/plucking can actually stimulate hair growth in the neighboring hair shafts so it could actually increase the amount of hair you've got..

I think this is true, as far as plucking goes anyway. I've been plucking the hairs on my face for years now, and I've noticed an increase, and also they grow back so fast now! :doh: I have to pluck everyday or else hairs grow back (i'm kinda obsessed with making sure there is no hair there at all, though).

definitely don't pluck any more..
i wouldn't recommend waxing..
i think your best bets are either shaving or trimming the hair..
or like mundo said, bleach if it will work with your skin tone, hair length etc..

I could never shave my face. Imagine the stubble! That'd be horrible. The hairs would also appear thicker, which isn't something you'd exactly want. Bleaching would be a much better option IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is true, as far as plucking goes anyway. I've been plucking the hairs on my face for years now, and I've noticed an increase, and also they grow back so fast now! :doh: I have to pluck everyday or else hairs grow back (i'm kinda obsessed with making sure there is no hair there at all, though).

I could never shave my face. Imagine the stubble! That'd be horrible. The hairs would also appear thicker, which isn't something you'd exactly want. Bleaching would be a much better option IMO.

like I told the other poster..... STOP PLUCKING YOUR FACE NOW!! Really, I wish I could show you the scars it gave me. I know shaving your face sounds bizarre, I was so hesitant to do it. But I've never had better skin in my life than after I stopped plucking and started shaving. I agree that if you're not having the laser treatment yet, shaving isn't the best option, but if you are, it really is.

And I'm going to keep posting this every time I hear that someone plucks their face, really, you guys have no idea how awful my face was and how it changed me completely to stop.

^Sorry, lol, I don't think I can stop plucking my face until I get successful laser. I'm not concerned about scars from just plucking, to be honest, just as long as I'm hair-free. But thanks! :flower:

So I'm looking into laser at the moment. I am worried though, I have heard stories from some girls who have a lot of hair (like I do...dark and grows fast) that for them after laser (true laser, not IPL) their hair actually grew back thicker than before, and they had to switch to electrolysis, after paying hundreds on laser. So I'm worried the same will happen to me. Although I'm probably just stressing for no reason...but it is a lot of $$$ to get worse-than-before results. Has anyone here experienced thicker hair after laser? particularly if you got your face done? :unsure: I hope not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had laser hair removal on my face - and most of it is gone - still some stubborn areas...a hair here or there...it was expensive and I went through American Laser centers - but its definitely been worth it. At first he didnt hurt at all...but when they started increasing the level on the laser - all bets were off! Its pretty uncomfortable - but if it gets too bad I just tell them to turn down the laser.

33ep, did you buy a package? or did you just pay per session?

like I told the other poster..... STOP PLUCKING YOUR FACE NOW!! Really, I wish I could show you the scars it gave me. I know shaving your face sounds bizarre, I was so hesitant to do it. But I've never had better skin in my life than after I stopped plucking and started shaving. I agree that if you're not having the laser treatment yet, shaving isn't the best option, but if you are, it really is.

And I'm going to keep posting this every time I hear that someone plucks their face, really, you guys have no idea how awful my face was and how it changed me completely to stop.

i agree with you 100%
i actually did electrolysis on my face (laser for the bikini area)..
but the hair is so fine on my face and lip that if there are any strays then swiping a razor over them every now and then is pretty safe..
there's really no stubble to speak of..

if the hair is very thick though then i don't know about shaving..
you could always give shaving a try just once and see how it goes..

i will never pluck anything on my face (except my eyebrows which i have no problem doing) ever again...

doing electrolysis on my face and getting rid of the hair (which definitely increased and was way worse after years of plucking) is the best thing i ever did..
my skin is clearer because oils don't cling to hair folicles and i'm not touching my face all the time
AND i feel like i save so much TIME!
i'm no longer in front of the mirror every day searching for stray hairs to pluck.. paranoid that i've missed one..
that was the worst and i'm so glad that that's done with..

not to mention scars and scabs from picking at ingrowns in my face and neck.. never again!!

i think one reason why it seems that our hair seems to increase after plucking is due to hormones..i think during our 20's our hormones are just going haywire...

I bought a package - better deal that way...and they constantly run different specials if you keep your eyes open...I also convinced them to give me a couple of free photo facials for buying the package...wish I could afford more!!!

33ep, did you buy a package? or did you just pay per session?

i think one reason why it seems that our hair seems to increase after plucking is due to hormones..i think during our 20's our hormones are just going haywire...

that's a good point..
hormones are always a good scapegoat in my book :P

So I'm looking into laser at the moment. I am worried though, I have heard stories from some girls who have a lot of hair (like I do...dark and grows fast) that for them after laser (true laser, not IPL) their hair actually grew back thicker than before, and they had to switch to electrolysis, after paying hundreds on laser. So I'm worried the same will happen to me. Although I'm probably just stressing for no reason...but it is a lot of $$$ to get worse-than-before results. Has anyone here experienced thicker hair after laser? particularly if you got your face done? :unsure: I hope not.

Can you ask for them to test it on another area before you go ahead with treatment? Then you can see if it does grow back thicker instead of going ahead and doing it on your face without knowing what will happen.

About the plucking... I have plucked many areas of myself for years and have not had any scars. As for hair regrowth: seems to be all over the place. One or two hairs got darker, but now grow very slowly (though keep in mind that hairs usually look darker when they are beginning to grow versus when they have finished growing) and only appear once every two or three months. Most hairs come back the same as before or paler and others have never grown back.

I would recommend people with a lot of hair do it!! I am Italian, and have lots of dark hair that grows on my thighs and bikini area. I used to get it waxed and would always get red raised bumps that would eventually turn into hideous purple scar like ingrown hairs. It was worse than the hair:shock:
I went to a dermatologist who suggested the laser hair removal. He said that my sensitive skin wasn't good for the waxing, but eventually would work with laser. I took the advice and went to 4 treatments. They recommend that people go every 6 weeks so that every cycle of hair growth can be halted for at least 6 visits if not 8 for real perm. smoothness. I have noticed that my hair has come in very sparse there if at all and another two trips could really do the trick. I no longer have the bumps or discoloration there either! I did get the numbing gel and felt that the pain wasn;t really that bad at all. Not worse than a normal wax. It made me more confident, can finally wear shorts and not look like an animal. The package deals seem like the best bet and you can always ask for payment plans where they deduct money monthly.

I have never heard that the laser caused hair to grow back thicker - for me, the hair that was stubborn was definitely lighter and thinner when it grew back. Now almost all of it is gone - just a couple of difficult ones - in fact I have already gone through my entire package but with American Laser Centers they have a guarantee for like me 20 years or something - so they are just continuing to do it. What makes it tricky is you have to zap the root at a certain point in the growing stage - that is why it can be difficult with some hairs

I have gotten laser done on my bikini area about 2 years ago. It worked really well, it DID hurt a lot though. I slightly got burnt, too.. but the scar has faded, you can barely tell anymore.

I tried laser hair removal for my bikini area and the person who did it said to expect 10 days to pass before seeing any results...wellll..i never saw any results:huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->