leopard print - classic or vulgar?

KingPanther

Reaction score
I've noticed that the leopard print has become more popular, and some of the catwalk models look stunning, wearing it.

The leopard print leggings, have become synonymous with "trashy" women, living in a trailer park ect.

However, has this completely tarnished the print, because like i said, it can look very nice.

What are your thoughts of this wallet - it's black, so not quite as loud as the traditional print, but I would like it in small quanties?

Would you ever buy it, why and why not?

Isn't it all about perception? Sorry for getting philosophical.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 10
It is totally all about perception.

Leopard-print's been around since the 1950s, and every type's been wearing it, with every incarnation from unbelievably luxurious (my friend has a real leopard coat from YSL of the 1970s) to the most odious and cheap. Like its soulmate the motorcycle jacket, it is an iconic fashion imagery-- that can be ultra luxurious, high fashion statement, to the tackiest, trashiest cheap fashion. It's a concept that is totally dependent of the designer and the wearer to give it context.

I love it and it's a classic to me.

Oh, is this a deep topic? :D

I believe in leopard print, and buy and wear it myself. There is certainly good leopard and bad leopard. My own rule is to wear it in the same colors real leopards do (including snow leopards). Purple, teal, and red leopard prints ... I don't know that those have ever worked.

It is totally all about perception.

Leopard-print's been around since the 1950s, and every type's been wearing it, with every incarnation from unbelievably luxurious (my friend has a real leopard coat from YSL of the 1970s) to the most odious and cheap. Like its soulmate the motorcycle jacket, it is an iconic fashion imagery-- that can be ultra luxurious, high fashion statement, to the tackiest, trashiest cheap fashion. It's a concept that is totally dependent of the designer and the wearer to give it context.

I love it and it's a classic to me.

I agree, I love it too but it can be tacky. So can gold, diamonds ect. It's all about how it's done.

I believe in leopard print, and buy and wear it myself. There is certainly good leopard and bad leopard. My own rule is to wear it in the same colors real leopards do (including snow leopards). Purple, teal, and red leopard prints ... I don't know that those have ever worked.

Ok cool. I think it's totally about perception - therefore how it's depicted.

You, my dear, are a hoot.

If you ask me, when a new TFSer creates one of these "in depth" threads, it almost always seems like a homework assignment, more than anything.

But anyways, I think the general consensus is that it's nothing more than a matter of design aesthetic and wearer's style.

Dolce & Gabbana and Roberto Cavalli, for example, seem to love making their women look like Vegas showgirls when they get a bolt of leopard-print fabric from their textile makers.

Azzedine Alaia, on the other hand, has a completely different viewpoint on leopard-print womenswear, and has a more cleaner, classic strategy when it comes to dressing him customers..see attached image.

article-2431867-1841934D00000578-989_634x423.jpg

(src: dailymail.co.uk via AP)

Last edited by a moderator:

If you ask me, when a new TFSer creates one of these "in depth" threads, it almost always seems like a homework assignment, more than anything.

But anyways, I think the general consensus is that it's nothing more than a matter of design aesthetic and wearer's style.

Dolce & Gabbana and Roberto Cavalli, for example, seem to love making their women look like Vegas showgirls when they get a bolt of leopard-print fabric from their textile makers.

Azzedine Alaia, on the other hand, has a completely different viewpoint on leopard-print womenswear, and has a more cleaner, classic strategy when it comes to dressing him customers..see attached image.

Edited: Please remove photos when quoting previous posts. Thanks.

I never claimed it was deep, but the question - "isn't it about perception", is indeed, very philosophical.

Well, to be honest, it's market research for my brand.

I agree, it's very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why thank you :wink:

Love the Alaia dress ... so skillful what he's done there. Would love to see it on Michelle Obama.

I think both Dolce and Cavalli make good leopard prints ... some of them. I own a Roberto Cavalli wrap, but I would try to stop you from getting close enough to read the signature :wink: And you would have to get close with this one.

I have some Lanvin leopard calfhair and black grosgrain pumps I really like, but this season's prints aren't really appealing to me. I think they're too big. There's a red sweater with such a large print that only a few spots fit on the front. Perhaps it will look great on someone.

To me it's a matter of taste ... you can't depend on a label to tell you which leopard prints are good vs not. And I certainly wouldn't recommend head to toe leopard, though I do enjoy breaking the rule about only one leopard item from time to time (like wearing a leopard skirt with a leopard bag). There are some prints I find it difficult to imagine being good on anyone, but I leave that to them to determine :wink: Tackiness can be delightful too on certain people!

Ah market research ... I was wondering. That should have been posted in the "Help me with my Homework/Research" thread in the Careers, Education and Business forum. So if you have any specific surveys or critiques or something like that you should post that there.

But ... since this thread is getting some thoughtful replies about leopard print in fashion and the perception of it, which is applicable for this forum, we'll leave this here.

BTW ... Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

It's a classic, no doubt in my mind. For better or for worse leopard is always a part of the fashion landscape in a way that few other prints really are, probably due to the fact that it's tied into taste rather than trend.

For me the appeal of leopard lies in its reputation as somewhat "vulgar", or at the very least showy. It's got a bit of that reputation for being for "bad girls/boys" or very nouveau riche or whatever that gives it an edge. It's bold, it's declarative, it's sexy in a primal sort of way, it's glamorous and just a bit decadent. Those are all qualities that people will either love or hate. There are rarely any wishy-washy feelings about leopard prints.

Anyway, I like it precisely because it skates along that line of good and bad taste. I don't always love what a designer will do with it, but on its own as a pattern I do have a soft spot for leopard.

I like what you say about skating the line ... I would certainly agree with bold ... a twinset and pearls it is not. But my mother has had animal print in her wardrobe since she was in high school. She told me she used to wear a leopard-print scarf and a camelhair coat to church (and only a slip underneath!). She also wore Tigress, which had a tiger-print velvet cap. I remember the scarf, which in fact smelled of Tigress. So to me it was never in bad taste, it just was ... but it certainly was an adult thing, not for children. Not back in the day anyway :ninja:

Yes, totally, I think almost everything in design is in the execution and context as opposed to the concept itself.

Leopard can go wrong easily, but can go right easily too: it just has to BE done well--the extra care has to be put in there to make sure of the texture, colors, fabric, dosage, quality, styling, etc. Anyway challenges are always fun.

Ta-ta: I'm sure you rock your Cavalli wrap and wear it better than the designer would designate. I must say I've even seen teal and purple leopard print done gorgeously in liquid silk jersey...:heart: And yes, tackiness can be quite charming on the right person, in the right way.

Phuel: "like its soulmate the motorcycle jacket"...hahaha!:lol:

Why thank you :wink:

Love the Alaia dress ... so skillful what he's done there. Would love to see it on Michelle Obama.

I think both Dolce and Cavalli make good leopard prints ... some of them. I own a Roberto Cavalli wrap, but I would try to stop you from getting close enough to read the signature :wink: And you would have to get close with this one.

I have some Lanvin leopard calfhair and black grosgrain pumps I really like, but this season's prints aren't really appealing to me. I think they're too big. There's a red sweater with such a large print that only a few spots fit on the front. Perhaps it will look great on someone.

To me it's a matter of taste ... you can't depend on a label to tell you which leopard prints are good vs not. And I certainly wouldn't recommend head to toe leopard, though I do enjoy breaking the rule about only one leopard item from time to time (like wearing a leopard skirt with a leopard bag). There are some prints I find it difficult to imagine being good on anyone, but I leave that to them to determine :wink: Tackiness can be delightful too on certain people!

How do you define tackiness?

Ah market research ... I was wondering. That should have been posted in the "Help me with my Homework/Research" thread in the Careers, Education and Business forum. So if you have any specific surveys or critiques or something like that you should post that there.

But ... since this thread is getting some thoughtful replies about leopard print in fashion and the perception of it, which is applicable for this forum, we'll leave this here.

BTW ... Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

Thank you. I was considering doing a poll, but that's not descriptive enough. I'm more interested in why you perceive what you perceive, and being such a broad question - a poll wouldn't suffice.

It's a classic, no doubt in my mind. For better or for worse leopard is always a part of the fashion landscape in a way that few other prints really are, probably due to the fact that it's tied into taste rather than trend.

For me the appeal of leopard lies in its reputation as somewhat "vulgar", or at the very least showy. It's got a bit of that reputation for being for "bad girls/boys" or very nouveau riche or whatever that gives it an edge. It's bold, it's declarative, it's sexy in a primal sort of way, it's glamorous and just a bit decadent. Those are all qualities that people will either love or hate. There are rarely any wishy-washy feelings about leopard prints.

Anyway, I like it precisely because it skates along that line of good and bad taste. I don't always love what a designer will do with it, but on its own as a pattern I do have a soft spot for leopard.

My name actually means Panther - which is a black leapard or jaguar - so it has a sentimental appeal for me.

I don't view it as nouveau riche, and for that to be applicable, it would depend on context. Just as we utilise wool and leather - in Africa - the leopard serves the same purpose. Diamonds and gold are loud too, but when the monarchy are wearing their stolen jewels, I think none would refer to it as tasteless - going back to context and perception.

To you, in which context would leopard be appealing, in a "sophisticated" way?

"Tackiness" is that glaring, permanent fixture that's plagued high fashion since the beginning of time like a horrible STD that just won't go away... Just learn to roll with it.

To put it into a tangible context, someone like Anna Dello Russo is tacky as it gets to me; she may be dripping from head-to-toe in luxury and exclusive designer swag, but she never looks good or stylish-- just a walking designer wardrobe. Whereas someone like Daphne is able to take any designer piece-- couture and vintage, and make it all hers. It's her strong sense of individual style that stands out: I notice the beautiful woman, not someone covered in designer pieces. But, I think Anna is just as relevant as Daphne; The fashion world would be so boring if everyone dressed tastefully or had style-- or the same style. I need all the hot messes, clowns, peacocks and fashion victims as much as I love the stylish, original provocateurs.

And when you're designing a piece with a purple, blue, fluorescent orange and pink leopard-print, you better make sure it's the most luxurious of materials and of the most precise, razor-sharp of cuts and construction. And still learn to have fun with it, rather than try too hard to worry if it's "tacky" or desperate to be "sophisticated". But if Nicki Minaj is wearing it, it's out of your control how it will be perceived LOL

I like what you say about skating the line ... I would certainly agree with bold ... a twinset and pearls it is not. But my mother has had animal print in her wardrobe since she was in high school. She told me she used to wear a leopard-print scarf and a camelhair coat to church (and only a slip underneath!). She also wore Tigress, which had a tiger-print velvet cap. I remember the scarf, which in fact smelled of Tigress. So to me it was never in bad taste, it just was ... but it certainly was an adult thing, not for children. Not back in the day anyway :ninja:

I would think, that if you perceive it as an adult thing, then context applies.

Wittgenstein said, that how we interpret (our perception) is dependent on what we believe. This in particular, is subjective, and thus subject to change. Just as baby blue was for girls, and pink was for boys.

So the aim would be to create it, in a way that will b perceived as elegant, or attempt to change pink into baby blue.

"Tackiness" is that glaring, permanent fixture that's plagued high fashion since the beginning of time like a horrible STD that just won't go away... Just learn to roll with it.

To put it into a tangible context, someone like Anna Dello Russo is tacky as it gets to me; she may be dripping from head-to-toe in luxury and exclusive designer swag, but she never looks good or stylish-- just a walking designer wardrobe. Whereas someone like Daphne is able to take any designer piece-- couture and vintage, and make it all hers. It's her strong sense of individual style that stands out: I notice the beautiful woman, not someone covered in designer pieces. But, I think Anna is just as relevant as Daphne; The fashion world would be so boring if everyone dressed tastefully or had style-- or the same style. I need all the hot messes, clowns, peacocks and fashion victims as much as I love the stylish, original provocateurs.

And when you're designing a piece with a purple, blue, fluorescent orange and pink leopard-print, you better make sure it's the most luxurious of materials and of the most precise, razor-sharp of cuts and construction. And still learn to have fun with it, rather than try too hard to worry if it's "tacky" or desperate to be "sophisticated". But if Nicki Minaj is wearing it, it's out of your control how it will be perceived LOL

Tacky is subjective right?

But of course, there is such a thing as discretion and ostentatious. In the animal kingdom, the most ostentatious display of dominance of a male lion (even via its mane) is not tacky. It's quite an interesting question - of you don't mind me saying so.

I do intend to use the finest material and craftsmanship. However, even without nikki - it could still go wrong. If you're creating a luxury product and if you're aiming for inconspicuous consumers - the main demographic of luxury customers - then care should be taken in how it's perceived.

^ I don't think that's really true at all that inconspicuous consumers are the luxury customer. A lot of Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Versace, etc., etc. are aimed at just the opposite. To me, having an inconspicuous target audience (a la Bottega Veneta) is the exception rather than the rule.

I went shopping today and saw a woman wearing head-to-toe Versace, including two very different prints and hot pink booties :ninja: Tacky? Yes. I caught another woman giving her a sidelong glance and we shared a smile. Clearly we agreed on this point ...

Yes, totally, I think almost everything in design is in the execution and context as opposed to the concept itself.

Leopard can go wrong easily, but can go right easily too: it just has to BE done well--the extra care has to be put in there to make sure of the texture, colors, fabric, dosage, quality, styling, etc. Anyway challenges are always fun.

Ta-ta: I'm sure you rock your Cavalli wrap and wear it better than the designer would designate. I must say I've even seen teal and purple leopard print done gorgeously in liquid silk jersey...:heart: And yes, tackiness can be quite charming on the right person, in the right way.

Phuel: "like its soulmate the motorcycle jacket"...hahaha!:lol:

Thanks :heart: I would like to see those purple and teal prints!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->