The Paper-Bag Waist

Ahaha thanks ^^ I just wish I could find a pair to simply TRY ON though lol. If I ever do, I'm posting here.

I'm not exactly always so practical haha. I live with my head in the clouds. Where will I go out in an outfit like that? Wherever I please pssh! Oh my, sorry I'm a little hyper this evening. It's been a fun day. I think I should turn in though. I hope I can look forward to seeing someone wear these beauties (at least in my opinion) soon!

well- you can just get a really big pair of pants in the men's dept at kmart or the salvation army...
and cinch them super tight with a belt...

just make your own!!...:clap:...
you have to get creative when you are young, on a budget and not near stores....
and that is EXACTLY when you can get away with wearing ridiculous things..
so experiment-try things...make mistakes..it's fun!
that's great!...
:wink:...

Hmm....I have several skirts with a waist like that....never knew it had an actual name though - Topshop had loadsa skirts and pants like that over the summer! Can't really say it makes the bod look worse or not - but then again.....I probably wouldn't know :ninja:

hahahha :rofl: this thread is funny...and so are those pants.....if you like the bagginess appeal....there are SOOOOOOOO many ways to achieve this affect without the paperbag waist.......sooooooooo many wayssssssss.....i dont like them and dont think they'd be flattering on anyone....just makes me thing about kirsty alley in that show she was in in the early 90's.....cant remeber the name, but i remeber it always was on before my cartoons and i hated it!

well- to be fair....
marni and chloe have both been doing it for a several seasons...
i think it's just that marc jacobs and the masses have now caught the bug....
and of course...anna has extolled it's virtues now...^_^...

it's become part of the grunge thing...

To me when I see a waist like that, I just think 'Oh interesting thing they've done with the waist' - had no idea it was some kind of 90's faux pas!

it's 80's....

think thompson twins...B)

^ I had to google who they were :P...
& wow :o this paper-bag look can definitely be applied to grunge

jun3machina said:
hahahha :rofl: this thread is funny...and so are those pants.....if you like the bagginess appeal....there are SOOOOOOOO many ways to achieve this affect without the paperbag waist.......sooooooooo many wayssssssss.....i dont like them and dont think they'd be flattering on anyone....just makes me thing about kirsty alley in that show she was in in the early 90's.....cant remeber the name, but i remeber it always was on before my cartoons and i hated it!
Cheers? :lol:

There are little ways to draw attention to the bottom of your stomach than wearing these kind of pants! My mom had some when I was a kid, they were SO unflattering, she was skinny but looked like she had a huge stomach in them. I agree in that you can get this same kind of look with different pieces and by creating it yourself instead of wearing these kind of pants. :flower:

ps - Softgrey, I love that skirt!! :heart:

These from Chloe aw06-07 don't strike me as being unflattering...

style.com

Attachments

• Chloe aw06.07-01.jpg
    Chloe aw06.07-01.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 18
like i said...
works on the runway..or just standing still..

:wink:...
they need constant fiddling and readjusting though...
i am sure that would not be a happy situation with a toddler that you have to chase after and bend over and pick up and carry around...

all that bunching actually needs a lot of styling or it really looks saggy and baggy...and it needs to be adjusted thoughout the wearing experience...
plus- it always looks ok from the front...
but the SIDE view...
:rolleyes:...OY!...:doh:...
it's why i hardly ever wear any of hte pices i have that fit into this category..
i like the way it looks, in theory...but from a practical point of view...
no...

i don't mind that lower waisted loose louche slouchy trousers...those make more sense and are more wearer 'friendly'...
:ninja:...

also- see how low the chloe is on the hips?...
*that is a different approach-in the 80's they were worn on the waist...
but the thing is- and i have experienced this with the chloe skirt i posted...
it doesn't STAY on your hips...
it keeps moving around and you have to keep pulling it up or pulling it down...SO annoying!!!
and then if you tuck something in-(which you pretty much HAVE to)-it looks like you have no waist at all...:wacko:...
and your proportions look all strange...like your butt is really low or something...and you have a really long torso...

and god FORBID you should actually have any hips!!!...don't even get me started on that!!!
:lol:...

ugh...
way too much work...

maybe i'll just get a pair of low waisted slouchy trousers...with a wide waist band...i think it's a low maintenance, more flattering option....or maybe i'll just stick to skinny pants and skirts and dresses...
:P

Last edited by a moderator:
softgrey said:
well- you can just get a really big pair of pants in the men's dept at kmart or the salvation army...
and cinch them super tight with a belt...

i've tried this, once upon a time
but the problem with men's pants is always the crotch
you can have the baggiest, widest-legged trousers on- and they will look great if the crotch is right
but men's pants tend to hang in all the wrong places on me...

but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try!
perhaps pulling the waist up high and cinching it w/ a belt will help a bit with the crotch problem

i second softie, and i think that w/ little money, the right vision, and a lot of imagination
you can really pull together an awesome outfit...

hanne, those chloes are very elegant. they drape well.

Ok, So I took the liberty to make a very long post about this on my blog, just because I love the look and I feel the need to defend it :smile: I'll copy it here:

Last night on the fashionspot forums, there was an interesting debate over whether or not the paper bag waist is wearable. This particular waistline involves a baggy waist being cinched to create the paper bag look. So today I found a way to work this look in my own wardrobe. I haven't yet found the proper trousers to achieve such a waistline but I have managed to put it together using a skirt. I'm not quite sure how this was worn in the 80s to make people so afraid of even trying the look but here is my simple, rather naive take on it (top left, the hem is not crooked in real life I just cinched it in a funny way without realizing it). I believe that the trick is to keep it streamlined and unfussy. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't experiment either!

Now, I am aware that my frame is relatively easy to work with (thanks mum) but I believe that this is doable for other body types as well. For curvier ladies, I would suggest cinching the pants or skirt around the tiniest part of your waist. If you are going for the pants, stay far, far away from skinnies, boot-cuts or tapered-legs. Instead, look for trouser fits that just skim the body and flow straight down from the hips or the widest part of the thighs. Keep the look balanced with snug fitting tops in monochromatic shades or colors that complement each other rather than contrast. This is especially important if you're not of Amazonian height since stark contrasts break you up visually and make you appear shorter. Lastly, if you are concerned that there is just too much fabric bulking up around the waist, try looking for a faux paper bag waist that lies flat on the tummy and only poofs up a little at the top right above where it would normally be gathered in.

Skirts are also a bit tricky but do-able. An egg-shaped skirt like the one I am sporting may not flatter every shape and size but there are plenty of other fits to try! The high-waisted pencil skirt is also becoming popular. Add a paper bag waist to it and voila! A chic look that will allow you to stand out amongst the throng of pencil skirt wearing masses (that already seem to be gathering strength, according to what I see from streetstyle blogs). Not a fan of pencil skirts? I see no reason why the old favourite A-line wouldn't work as well. Like any other type of clothing, you will really have to try on many various fits until you find the one that is perfect for you. Don't be discouraged if the ones that you see don't quite work out, and definitely do not let this keep you from trying the look again. Just keep in mind your own body proportions and be honest with yourself. Also, take everything I have said with a grain of salt. I am suggesting not directing, but I hope that I have inspired as well!

Attachments

• paperbagwaistandme.jpg
    paperbagwaistandme.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 19
THese do seem very tricky. The only picture of an outfit I can find in my imagination would be this: Skinny tall model body (duh). highish waisted dark "paper bag" trousers. Slim knit light colored tank or sleeveless top. and either dark thin suspenders or a skinny scarf. All neutrals. I don't know if that sounds atrocious to you but if I had to make an outfit with this silhouette, that's what I'd make. :flower:

i actually think paperbag waists are very flattering, anytime there's a contrast with bunchier fabrics and tighter ones always make you look skinner. the paperbag waist makes your waist look even smaller in contrast with all the bunchy fabric. but then again, i guess first of all, you need to have a waist.

I like Paperbag Waists. But not in SUPER voluminous pants or skirts, like a pencil skirt or maybe cigarette pants done w/ a paperbag waist. Those are flattering and interesting.

have you got an example of that diorling?...
i cannot remember seeing anything like that anywhere....
almost by definition a paperbag waist has volume on the bottom...
that is how you get that waist....lots of extra fabric...
so you wouldn't find it on something like a pencil skirt....
:ermm:...

Like this? I really liked seeing it on the stand, but it looks uncomfortable on the model.

(Anthropologie)

Attachments

• 62406_frt.jpg
    62406_frt.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 2
that's one-yes pavement...

shutterbug..
you are so cute....
*even though i disagree with some of what you wrote....:P
i expected something a bit more adventurous since you were talking about a bustier and all...
:winkiss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenn888
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->