Lesportsac for the OC

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
from wwd, images from wwd
Le Sportsac to Model Line on 'The O.C.'
By Sophia Chabbott
NEW YORK — LeSportsac, known for collaborating with Diane von Furstenberg and Gwen Stefani, is turning its efforts to TV with a collection called LeSportsac for The O.C.

LeSportsac was acquired in November by Accessory Network Group, a licensing and accessories conglomerate based here.

"The O.C."-influenced collection, which will be shown at market this week and bows at retail in August, comprises 13 bags and is divided into groups inspired by each of the TV drama's protagonists. LeSportsac called upon "The O.C." wardrobe supervisor Robin West and co-executive producer Stephanie Savage to aid in the designs to get them just right.

"We are really excited to be working with LeSportsac on a new product line inspired by "The O.C.," said Maryellen Zarakas, senior vice president of worldwide marketing and television and studio licensing for Warner Bros. consumer products. "It is a natural fit between their demographic and that of the show."

Savage projects the line will have a broad reach, too. "We're hopeful that the product line will appeal not just to people who watch the show, but to people who like fashion," she said. "Fashion is a big part of the characters on this show. It's part of how you understand their world."

The Marissa bags, based on the character played by Mischa Barton, include black ripstop nylon pochettes and totes with chain handles and a flat pink rose appliqué. The Summer collection, named for Rachel Bilson's character, has the most styles, including a reversible tote and a wristlet in a floral and polkadot print.

The Ryan and Seth collections, named after the boys on the program, represent the firm's first venture into men's accessories. There are PDA holders, messenger bags, a leather-trimmed backpack and a duffel, all in ripstop nylon.

According to Paul Sanchez, vice president of visual merchandising, store design and creative services for LeSportsac, the firm is using this project as a transition into the men's category.

Each LeSportsac for The O.C. bag is lined in a print fabric that references a character's trait. The Marissa bags are lined in a print with Barton's image and the words "Free Marissa"; Summer's bags have a "The Valley" logo print; Ryan's have a graffiti print saying, "Kid Chino," and Seth's have an "Atomic County" comic strip, as the character is a comic book artist.

The line will retail from $98 to $120 at LeSportsac stores and select retailers, including Bloomingdale's. The bags will be on the show, as well as featured in a print campaign starring the cast members. The print campaign will run in Ellegirl, In Style, Entertainment Weekly, Lucky and Teen People, among other publications. There also will be outdoor, Web marketing and direct-mailing components to the campaign.

This is the first fashion accessories license for the show. In August, a limited-edition clothing line called "The O.C." for Amazon.com bowed on the site.

"The characters often wear our bags on the show, so it was an easy fit," said Sanchez. "[In our collaborations], we look for a connection with pop culture, whether it be a designer, musician or an artist."

Attachments

• rose clutch.jpg
    rose clutch.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 316
  • comix.jpg
    comix.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 315
wow! this is some really interesting marketing. thanks for the article!!!

thanks for posting, lucy. i can't wait to see the whole collection.

lucy, i swear, you are my MOST favourite poster on TFS - your posts always cover my current obsessions! I'm stalking your Paul & Joe/Target thread, as I am so damn excited about it, its not true; and now Lesportsac for the OC!! For this I thank and salute you! :D :D :D :D :D
I've had an RSS feed on this collection since I found out about it in March, but not found any further info - where did you find the pics? Are there any more?

thank u clickmekate, i like cheap chic!

for some reason today womens wear daily wasnt asking for passwords so i was able to access this whole "OC" story, sadly, there werent any other pictures!

theres a lot of other lines im excited about gwen stefani's new accessories line with the ex-lesportsac owner and the nine west designer series this fall.
i cant wait for the paul and joe images to come out. there was already an unveiling of the line in paris, so im hoping some pics will leak out!

i dont think we'll hear too much about the OC line for another month or so as lesportsac is currently promoting the "assume astro vivid" line.

yeah, I haven't been able to find anything on the P&J line as yet either, but hopefully the images will show up on the Target press page like the Tara Jarmon ones did, before the line is released.
I was able to snag scans of the Luella lookbook just before that line came out - i got them from someone on ebay who had a preview lookbook & purse for sale, but I doubt that will happen again.
The thing I'm wondering about P&J is if there will be accessories...hope so!
Am furiously saving for august, so i can have everything P&J and an OC bag or five!
I like the sound of the "summer" range, and the "marissa" design is cute, but not keen on that shape of bag...

Interesting marketing/product tie-in but the two bags don't look like anything special to me

i like the utilitarian look of the seth bag.
i bet there would be something about the bags on the
http://www.theocinsider.com/
but that is a subscription based website.
they should be selling them on that website as well!
i loved the luella line for target, hopefully i'll love the paul and joe stuff even more!

photo and story from time out new york.com

Can’t wait until November for the dramatic return of Ryan Atwood, Seth Cohen and Summer Roberts? The LeSportsac for the OC collection ($40–$198)—premiering in shops this week—should tide you over until the guilty-pleasure soap begins its fourth season. The ’80s-rific accessories company, which recently collaborated with Gwen Stefani’s L.A.M.B. line and cult anime label Tokidoki, has teamed up with the Fox hit’s costume designer and co–executive producer to channel Newport Beach’s endless-summer style into bags, clutches and wallets. Cut from LeSportsac’s signature rip-stop nylon, the 14 models come in perky Harbour High–inspired prints: for wannabe Summers, polka dots on a roomy leather-trimmed tote ($178), and for aspiring Seths, a comic-book pattern lining a gray men’s duffle bag ($138). Stay tuned this fall and you just might see your clutch or messenger bag in the aforementioned characters’ hands. Available at LeSportsac, Madison Ave between 80th and 81st Sts (212-988-6200), and 176 Spring St between Thompson St and West Broadway (212-625-2626).—Helen Yun

Attachments

• lesportsac for the oc.jpg
    lesportsac for the oc.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 144
have these finally come out yet? with marissa gone now though...i wonder how popular these will be. i knida feel like the show wont last that many more seasons.....

theres no mention of it on the lesportsac website.

maybe the oc production company is planning on making money through product placements.

i figure the show will be cancelled in a year or two as well.

images from lesportac's japanese website. still no mention or images of it on the lesportsac american website!

Attachments

• lesportsac1.jpg
    lesportsac1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 95
  • lesportsac2.jpg
    lesportsac2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 95
  • lesportsac3.jpg
    lesportsac3.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 95
not a good design for lesportsac.
lesportsac is known for particular simple designs, i think they should stick to those..

^Agreed....these look sort of tacky actually. The ones with the chains are awful....

Is Le Sport Sac in the US the equivalent of Longchamp in France? In any case, I never saw a bag of this make that I liked, and the new models are indeed tacky.

i like the polka dot one but i would get rid of the pink thing.....the other ones remind me of the camilia bags by chanel........

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robert0199
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->