Libertine sues ABS by Allen Schwartz

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
LIBERTINE CASE: A trial date has been set for Jan. 23 for Los Angeles federal court in the copyright infringement lawsuit filed by bicoastal designer brand Libertine in April against Los Angeles-based contemporary brand A.B.S. by Allen Schwartz. Libertine alleges A.B.S. copied the design of its label and appropriated original artwork used for silk-screening apparel. This marks the first time A.B.S. company founder and design director Allen Schwartz has gone to trial for copyright violation, though the success of his brand has been based on manufacturing and selling affordable copies of designer dresses. Libertine co-founder and co-designer Johnson Hartig alleges A.B.S. by Allen Schwartz earned approximately $14 million using artwork lifted from his company, adding Libertine was forced to discontinue the graphics, "for fear of association."

*http://www.wwd.com/notavailable/arc...ticleId=111871&articleType=A&industryKw=issue

If anybody has a subscription,would be greatly appreciated for the rest of the article....if there is more to it as it is "in brief"

'bout friggin time someone sued A.B.S.....

They've knocked off entire dresses, right down to the last detail, and gotten away with it. I can understand being influenced by high end fashion and adapting trends and details for a more affordable priced line, but blatently ripping off a dress is crossing a major line in my book.

Here comes the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

completely agree with you spike. and libertine,their silkscreening is the most original thing they do and it's really part of their identity. i find it digusting to rip off a part of a designer's identity like that. i bet he wins,johnson. they've been doing this far too long and i surprised they haven't been already either. and the sad thing is,ignorance is bliss as i'm sure it's a big business ABS.

and,btw,Johnson and Cindy haven't been around for a couple seasons so they could certainly use the settlement! Maybe they will be able to work on some original works rather than merely reworking.

I was a fan of ABS until just recently. Everything they make is either a blantent rip-off, or it's trashy.

Glad to hear of some legal action being taken...

it seems to have been settled...from todays wwd.
Libertine , A.B.S. SETTLEMENT: Bicoastal designer label Libertine has settled a copyright and trade dress infringement lawsuit that it filed against Los Angeles contemporary brand A.B.S. by Allen Schwartz. Terms were not disclosed. Libertine co-founder and co-designer Johnson Hartig, who alleged that A.B.S. had earned about $14 million through copying Libertine artwork and packaging, said he was "very pleased" with the settlement. A.B.S. did not return a call for comment.

^i take it from that comment,he did ultimately get what he sued for. i wonder what the terms of the lawsuit actually was though with regards to costs and damages etc? would be great,and a nice slap in the face of the copy cat,if he and Cindy in return actually recieved the same amount ABS made from the rip-off....

the entire debacle,just brings to light a very sad,common yet hardly unnoticed situation in fashion regarding copy cats. indies have been complaining about it for ages,of course,but in the mainstream fashion world no one seems to even bat a bleeding eye. hopefully,by this people will finally begin to wake up out of their ignorance.

I would love to see some comparison pics of the 2 designer's designs in question....

^yeah, me too...and i wonder how much money they will receive now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->