'little Marc' by Marc Jacobs

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
not too many moms and dads here at tFS but the idea sounds quite cool.

Jacobs is introducing 'little Mark' his first ever childrenwear collection, inspired by the recent baby boom amongst his friends

082405_2.jpg

082405_5.jpg

:heart: Walter, shown modeling a cashmere thermal sweater, is owned by Randy Shelp, a receptionist at Marc Jacobs

Now the kids can be Marc Jacobs aficionados, too.

The designer said he never imagined his group of friends as parents. But in recent months, Jacobs and business partner Robert Duffy found there were so many babies in their immediate circle that they, too, caught the baby bug. After several inquiries by friends to make some of Jacobs' signature looks in children's sizes, the pair decided to launch Little Marc, a collection made exclusively for Marc fans aged two to seven.

Little Marc is based around the waffle-weave thermal cashmere underwear that has become a staple in the designer's men's and women's collections. It consists of a hooded top, a cardigan, a crewneck top and long johns, all manufactured in Italy and available in pink, blue, gray and white. There are three sizes: S for ages two to three, M for four to five and L for six to seven.

"The thermals were the right thing to do because they are so much a part of our vocabulary and are easily adaptable," Jacobs said. "It's taking something luxe and offering it in the traditional shapes and colors for young people, and very young people."

Jacobs said this line came about organically, and that he has no immediate intention to turn it into a full, stand-alone collection with different product classifications. He acknowledged that the concept offers a wide range of expansion opportunities, but said that, for the moment, the plan is to create pieces here and there that tickle his fancy.

"Should it naturally evolve, we will prepare ourselves and we will do what it takes to be organized about it, but at the moment, it's just a whim," Jacobs said. "I think it will be a few pieces until the next whim strikes ... Maybe eventually we can do our mouse shoes for kids."

For the time being, Jacobs offers matching dog sweaters, which are priced from $150 for XS to $175 for M and L.

Jacobs said he has become more conscious of babies since many of his friends and colleagues became parents in the last year. Two weeks ago, his public relations director, Kate Waters, gave birth to Ingrid; a couple of months back, his friend, Rachel Feinstein, had a boy named Hollis, and photographer Juergen Teller, who shoots the designer's ad campaigns, became the father of a son, Ed, earlier this year.

"In a funny way, I never expected to be someone whose contemporaries were moms and dads," Jacobs said. "I don't know why. That just seems like something my parents did, but not anybody I knew would do, have a family. Now that it is a reality, it's something in our consciousness."

Jacobs said the name Little Marc came to him on a lark, like the line. "It just seemed so obvious," he said. "I like these silly banal play on words and double entendres. I find them very sweet."

The collection is launching this week in the Marc Jacobs boutiques in New York, San Francisco, Boston, Los Angeles and Bal Harbour, Fla. The hooded top retails for $395; the cardigan, for $325; the crewneck top, for $295, and a pair of long johns, for $195. That's a steep price for the children's wear market, but Jacobs is confident that there are parents willing to spend so much on their children.

"There is a customer for everything," the designer said. "It may not be a mass customer, but that's not what we are trying to say with it. It's something very special and very particular and I think it would appeal more to urban sensibilities."

extracts and pics from wwd :flower:

:sick:

is it going to be inspired by the 70's?

how can you be so negative without even viewing the line faust?
its just a kids line

Lena said:
how can you be so negative without even viewing the line faust?
its just a kids line

i can be negative about anything that lackluster businessman does

ahhh ok, i see, very objective reasoning :D

Lena said:
ahhh ok, i see, very objective reasoning :D

you think the only objective reasoning is looking at things?

we all know faust is not a marc jacobs fan.....LOL. faust you are in fine fettle today my man.

Lena - thanks for bringing this in. The dog picture is VERY VERY cute.

$395 for a sweater your kid is going to outgrow in 2 months? :ninja:

i love marc and all but jeez!

thanks for posting lena :flower:

you are welcome helena:flower:

i was just trying to bring in some much needed Fashion News in the designer&collections forums, thats all..

Looks like stuff one can get at Baby Gap,actually. Nothing really "special" about that.

The beagle is cute though :lol:

Scott said:
Looks like stuff one can get at Baby Gap,actually. Nothing really "special" about that.

The beagle is cute though :lol:

I think you should reserve your judgement until you see the entire COLLECTION, Scott. :D

faust said:
I think you should reserve your judgement until you see the entire COLLECTION, Scott. :D

very clever and extremely entertaining :rolleyes:

Overall, I simply don't understand designer kidswear. They're going to grow out of it in three to four months, to me, it just doesn't seem practical. When I'm a mom, I'll probably be scouring sales at Old Navy and Baby Gap. :innocent: Children can still look fabulous in "cheap" duds. :wink:

can someone please correct the title of this thread...
???

MARC JACOBS...:P

:innocent:...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warholy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->