Liu Wen

I retract my so-called "knowledge" that Liu Wen herself does not style herself at events/shows. Maybe some?

Just wanna correct myself.

gifs by me

Too many characters to post acompany article; if interested go here

In a climate of immigration bans and building walls, the biggest names in 2017 make the case that there isn’t just one type of American girl—nor has there ever been.

By MAYA SINGER

What is a woman supposed to look like? Agnolo Firenzuola was certain he knew. In his influential 1548 treatise A Dialogue on the Beauty of Women, Firenzuola detailed the female ideal, specifying, for instance, the correct distance between the tip of the nose and the bow of the lip. “The true and right color for hair,” he wrote, “is a fair yellow.” As for ears, “a middle size is to be desired, with the shell finely turned.”

Firenzuola’s wonkish beauty decrees read as comical now. And yet: Has there ever been an era in which some beauty ideal hasn’t loomed large? In 1900, the paradigm was the Gibson girl, with her corseted wasp waist and waterfall of curls. A century later, women were flocking to salons for pin-straight blowouts and sweating through hot-yoga classes in pursuit of sinewy limbs and snake hips. The rules change, but there are always rules. What would happen if society threw the rule book away? What is beauty when no standard measure applies?

The cover of this magazine answers that question. One fine, brisk day, a stretch of private beach in Malibu finds an eclectic group of models posing together on the sand: Adwoa Aboah, Liu Wen, Ashley Graham, Vittoria Ceretti, Imaan Hammam, Gigi Hadid, and Kendall Jenner, who ducks briefly out of the view of a stray paparazzo and takes the opportunity to stretch her legs and muse. “This is my second Vogue cover, and to be sharing that not only with one of my best friends, but with all of these amazing women, is very meaningful for me,” she says. “With all that’s going on in the world, this cover makes such an important statement. It’s like, hey, we’ve got our differences, but those differences are beautiful. Everyone is beautiful.”

Each of these cover girls proudly inhabits her own particular gorgeousness in her own particular way. Together they represent a seismic social shift: The new beauty norm is no norm. And fashion, the industry that—yes—has historically done much to enforce beauty codes, is joining the movement. ¡Viva la revolución! All are welcome. Anything goes.

Liu Wen's part:

The feed trains us, too, to respect the vitality of societies other than our own. In an epoch where American teenagers follow K-pop stars and Indian beauty bloggers unknown in the States but with millions of devotees abroad, it’s impossible to persist in the belief that the West is the axis around which global culture turns. The model Liu Wen, even more famous in her native China than she is here, says she’s witnessed this shift over the short course of her own career. Noting that it followed the pattern for Asian models to break through in New York or in Paris and return home as stars—with Liu herself leveraging her fashion fame into pop-culture celebrity as one of the leads on a Chinese reality show—Liu feels that the paradigm has flipped in recent years.

“Many Asian models now have incredible recognition and success at home first, and then they start booking jobs internationally,” Liu says, explaining that for these girls, who are being sought out by Western brands, going West is a choice, not a professional imperative. “I think this stems, in part, from the rise of social media, which is connecting societies in new, intricate ways, and changing all of our perspectives.”
vogue.com

First show of the season!

[​

Last edited by a moderator:

Celebrated Vogue's 125th Anniversary at Angel’s Share in East Village
February 8, 2017

gif by me; vogue.com

[​

Front Row at Jason Wu's Fall Show at The St. Regis
February 10, 2017

instagrams: fashiontomax & iamdili ; vogue.co.uk; vogue.com; weibo.com; wwd.com; zimbio.com

gifs by me; instagram/derick.feng; weibo.com

[​

Finished processing and fleshing it out:

1. DREAM INTO REALITY

So it was indeed for a COVER! Even if it was Annie this was bound to be a cover shoot - which most suspect that it would be - but just didn't want to jinx it! Guess thanks to those paparazzi in Malibu for the heads up. We can cross this off her checklist.

2. MODELESQUE RUNS IN HER VEINS

Love the fact that Liu Wen is still the model that we know and knew. This is HER MOMENT and she's winning and bringing her A game: her pose, expression, the energy and the fun. She's so engage with her eyes that she stands out on the cover (what helps is her position and the composition too). Her solo shot is easily the better (if not best) image in the entirety. Major!

3. THE RIGHT TALENTS

I still don't know why I&V haven't worked with Liu Wen more and individually (have my theories though). It frustrates me. Their past work have been pretty decent and this current work just elevate their relationship on such creations. It's wonderful! (It also helps that Tonne/hair stylist/makeup artist were there to make Wen beautiful.) Would love to see the duo challenge and bring out the rocker chick/bohemian out of Liu Wen.

4. HAD TO WORK THE HARDEST

To echo everyone - agreed Liu Wen is very much deserving of the cover, been a while but perfect timing! Her strength and backstory as a representative that aligns with this particular issue is even more empowering and solidify her case. Appreciate it more.

She slayed the March cover. She slayed her shots. She slayed AMERICAN VOGUE!

#SlayLiuWen #Proud #HugeCongrats

sKlPoqP.gif

gif by me; instagram/laperlalingerie; observer.com; sonnyphotos.com; theimpression.com; weibo.com

I hope that the cover will help her get a blue chip campaign this fall! I really want to see her in Versace if Tisci takes over for that brand.

Tisci doesn't like Asian models that much. There were many seasons at Givenchy which he doesn't cast a single Asian model for the show. Donatella also doesn't like Asian models. But we will see.

Tisci doesn't like Asian models that much. There were many seasons at Givenchy which he doesn't cast a single Asian model for the show. Donatella also doesn't like Asian models. But we will see.

I guess you're right but Liu is getting more famous as time continues on. I thought she'd get Givenchy at some point cos Tisci chose her to close a show several seasons ago.

TBH I could see Liu getting Prada in an upcoming season. Miuccia often reveals pleasant and unexpected surprises in Prada campaigns.

^ Really? Liu Wen is neither a Prada girl nor a favourite to the designer. Also, we have to really consider Ashley Brokaw here. She has a lot of weight. Liu Wen isn't on her radar for quite some time (when was the last time she cast her?). What about Olivier Rizzo? Those are key people. And if Vanderperre continues to shoot the campaigns from now on, that might just lessen her chances (they probably worked no more than a couple times IIRC, correct if wrong).

Of course things could change depending on the circumstances.

With that said, it'd be fantastic to see her walk again or front Prada. Other models not that associated with Prada has done so.

Agreed about Givenchy/Versace with Asian models in general, their actions speak for itself and I digress.

Though will say that it isn't too late for Liu Wen to walk Versace and at least Riccardo acknowledge her...

ELLE CHINA MAR. 2017
'Soft & Gentle'
Ph: Li Qí
Stylist: Jin Jing
Hair: Bon Fan Zhang
Makeup: Hé Lěi ​​​​

weibo.com

Not sure if I read it correctly, but looks like Liu Wen was in Florida early last week.
Perhaps for a job?

weibo.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiccestlavie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->