Louis Vuitton F/W 2019.20 Paris

Poor RLL, the HMU (or hat and makeup) was atrocious, didn't do anything for these beautiful girls

It’s one of these occasions when you see something horrible and you ask in a state of shock, who did this?!

This is pretty questionable. I'm having a moment of renewed/enlightened appreciation for Balenciaga F/W 2012 (as Lola mentioned), despite it being one of the obviously worse collections under Nic's tenure. Man that's like caviar compared to this!

The only vaguely redeeming feature of this show is seeing how good Signe/baby Edita looks in that make-up, like a real life 18th century doll!

Nicolas looks great! :D

The collection is questionable on taste! We're going to have to let the 80s die.

This was an odd way to close way to close PFW considering all the genuinely great shows we've seen.

My least favorite LV collections are when Nicolas gets too literal. And this one is slightly too New Wave and 80's for my taste. Some of those prints look like they haven't seen the light of day since then.

That being said the silhouettes are nice and can see him play with the proportion in the future. But honestly he just seems to be having fun until its time for his own label.

Last edited:
Last season must have sold pretty well, seeing as he's fully committed to continuing on this 80's Liquid Sky nostalgia trip.

As others have mentioned, you can't help but think back to Balenciaga F/W 2012 and how weirdly enduring and influential that collection continues to be. But does it actually feel right and relevant to return to that right now? I'm not sure. I guess I have to assume these more directional sci-fi/80's nostalgia collections that Nicolas does for LV do well?

I can't say I totally hate it. I can't help but be root for Nicolas's work, even his worst collections (S/S 2019 takes the cake for me). As overworked and ugly as many of these garments are, there still manage to be a handful of looks that are both charmingly weird and sharp.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Givenchy looks even decent compared to this mess.

Worst show of the season.

Do you think that when Nic comes out on the runway at the end he is laughing at us?
Like.. look at what I got away with .. again ..!

I wonder if anyone in his team has the guts to tell him "Nicolas, this looks horrible and dated"...

What the hell is this? Like what everyone else has already said, this is by far his worst collection and undoubtedly one of the worst overall this season. This is just ugly. Literally nothing beautiful about it. There may be some pieces that are nice and pretty by themselves but this doesn't stop the fact that overall this collection is pure vomit.
I like NG and I know he can make some incredible clothes and designs but this is by far just something else...

At this point I won't even complain about his designs at Vuitton being so heavily overdesigned, I somehow expect that this is not the time and place as Nicolas was in when he designed all my favourite early 2000s collections for Balenciaga. I could do with half as much detailing, clashing prints and shiny metal hardware but this being Vuitton, it won't happen anytime soon (let's hope he will reserve that for his own line...).

This being said, his assured sense of cut and proportion is still very much present here. I enjoy all the takes on the bomber jacket with their tapering sleeves and the cropped proportion, it's a good look with the high waisted jeans and flat shoes he styled them with.

My all-time favorite Balenciaga collection by him is Spring/Summer of 2006, that Rock Baroque collection. That's the most perfect runway definition of high fashion. I do believe he was at the peak of his creativity around mid-00's. Starting from 2010 or so, somehow his work at Balenciaga started going downhill. His design became somewhat contrived and gimmicky. But you always found concision and cohesion in almost every collection over his Balenicaga tenure. He would have a few major ideas/silhouettes in each collection, and worked around each of them with the right number of runway looks. No matter whether you love those ideas, no matter whether you find those clothes beautiful, you almost never got the impression that any of his Balenciaga collection was all over the place.

Unfortunately I don't think I can say the same thing about his LV work. This collection is horribly all over the place. I am not sure what are the key looks in this collection, and what he's trying to promote, maybe the contrast between exaggerated squarish shoulders and cinched waist is one of them? But the execution was a total failure. Most of the looks and individual pieces in this collection are really really clownish and ugly. Some elements in this collection remind me of his work close to the end of his Balenciaga tenure, but not in a positive way. I don't know, I guess I am not optimistic he would be able to return to his glorious days at Balenciaga anymore even if he could finally start his eponymous label.

this is so bad. I'd save that beige coat towards the first part of the collection but everything is so ugly, the proportions and the shapes are unflattering to say the least, the frills, the colors, everything is pretty much horrible, what the hell?

I like Louis Vuitton, I like Nicolas Ghesquière and I usually like his work for the house, but I don't understand this collection. It got me lost. There's too much to take and it's not a compliment. I can't feel any "fil conducteur" in it. There's too many fabrics, too many materials. The harsh and exaggerated makeup on models doesn't help either. It's just too much of everything. The blue section looks decent and interesting though. I'm mostly loving the creepers, the coats and the brown large pants as seen on Marte Mei Van Haaster. Some looks are beyond ugly (the blue/pink ruffled short dress at the beginning followed up by the green carpet on the shoulders, the floral prints, the droopy and unfitted strap dresses towards the end, the damier prints, ...). But I can still find some appealing and good looks. I think about these ones particularly and I'll leave it at that :

I genuinely can't even pinpoint what I find bad about the collection, it's just ugly to me. I watched in shock as models came down the runway because I couldn't believe the ugliness.

On a side note, I know we are often shocked by something that's considered "ugly" upon first sight only to realize that we actually love it and didn't know we need it. I've been waiting for that to happen with Nicolas' Vuitton but it never came. Most of his collections for the brand have remained what they were when I first saw them - ugly.

Last season must have sold pretty well, seeing as he's fully committed to continuing on this 80's Liquid Sky nostalgia trip.

As others have mentioned, you can't help but think back to Balenciaga F/W 2012 and how weirdly enduring and influential that collection continues to be. But does it actually feel right and relevant to return to that right now? I'm not sure. I guess I have to assume these more directional sci-fi/80's nostalgia collections that Nicolas does for LV do well?

I can't say I totally hate it. I can't help but be root for Nicolas's work, even his worst collections (S/S 2019 takes the cake for me). As overworked and ugly as many of these garments are, there still manage to be a handful of looks that are both charmingly weird and sharp.
I’ve already watched the show 3 times. I’m obsessed.
Yes, that Balenciaga collection is still quite influential and it’s funny because I hated that collection when it was shown but it’s maybe one of Nicolas’s collection that I bought the most pieces out of.

This is a collection that needs time to be appreciated.

I think he took it further than anybody has done lately. He went for it (soundtrack included).
I think I love it for the same reason I loved the Tom Ford FW18 collection. It’s tacky, it’s fun, it’s beyond...

I love love love this collection!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->